PDA

View Full Version : Update on Acetone in Gasoline

StarMetal
11-24-2005, 02:28 PM
Well, I've given the acetone in gasoline a thorough testing in my Dodge Dakota. At first I was impressed, mileage did increase alot, but then it went back to just about normal, that is the way it was before I started using it. Another thing cold weather makes my Dodge get alot worse mileage. I find that unusual in that the choke system on these new fangles computer controlled vehicles is alot more precise then the old flap valve choke on a carb. So this has led to a decrease in mileage with or without acetone. I can say the acetone definately isn't working in cold weather for me. But none the less it gets less mileage. Here's what I think, like a friend of mine suggested. We think that acetone may just clean out the fuel system, that is throttle body, injectors, etc. I've concluded my testing and will not use it anymore. Shucks...no free lunch.

Joe

grumble
11-24-2005, 03:11 PM
Too bad it's not working out for you, Joe. I've noticed a reasonable improvement on my Tundra that's stayed with it since I started using the acetone. When I noticed it most is one time I forgot to add it when I filled up, and the reduced performance and milage were VERY noticable.

My son tried it on a round trip to CA last month. He got 16 MPG without it and 21 MPG with it in his 2004 Jeep Cherokee. Another tried it in his little Neon, and said he didn't notice the difference in milage, but got a big difference in performance. I asked if the milage staying the same was because he was putting his foot in it more, and got a sheepish "probably" from him. A neighbor tried it in an 84 Ford pickup, and said he saw no difference, the truck ran crappy either way.

I guess it may depend on the vehicle as to whether it helps or not.

TCLouis
11-25-2005, 11:00 AM
per gallon/tank and is there any concern for life of seals or other nonmetal parts contaced by the acetone?

Where is the beginning of this thread, it just seems to jump right in in the middle of the discussion?

grumble
11-25-2005, 01:21 PM
TC, the thread started a couple months ago in the 'off-topic' forum.

The amount of acetone to gas is right at 0.3 oz acetone per gallon of gas (3 oz.10 gal). The measurement is somewhat critical as the performance imporvement is less in ratios above or below the .3/gal amount.

Modern vehicles (as in, post-1970 or so) should have no problem with deterioration of seals and such. Older vehicles that use rubber might have a problem.