PDA

View Full Version : Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken Barrel Tennons Difficult to Remove/Replace

Themoose
03-12-2018, 05:57 PM
I recently made a trade on a used Pedersoli .54 Rocky Mountain Hawken rifle... beautiful rifle, but I noticed that it takes a great deal of effort to loosen and reinstall the barrel tennons when removing the barrel.... the tennons have keepers and aren't completely removed, but it takes a definite whack from a mallet with a wedge pin tool to loosen them and when reinstalling them it again takes a whack from a plastic, wood or leather mallet to replace them... thumb pressure is not enough... is this normal? Sent a question to Pedersoli, but not sure how that will work since their contact is in Italia..

Kindest regards,

TheMoose

scattershot
03-12-2018, 06:28 PM
Far better than too loose. They are what keeps the barrel in place. I wouldn’t worry about it.

indian joe
03-12-2018, 06:54 PM
Far better than too loose. They are what keeps the barrel in place. I wouldn’t worry about it.

x 2 from me

BPJONES
03-12-2018, 07:45 PM
I wouldn't be too concerned. As mentioned, better than too loose.

waksupi
03-12-2018, 08:08 PM
Sounds like they fit pretty much like they should.

Themoose
03-12-2018, 08:54 PM
Thanks to all....It was just such a stark difference in the other rifles that I have... most are "snug" but nothing like this one... I think I read in Dutch Schoultz accuracy system that they should be easily installed by hand... guessing his thinking would be that it would put a "bind" or stress on the barrel and affect repeatable accuracy...

I'm anxious to see what I can do with the roundball in a .54... Anyone have any experience with the Pedersoli Rocky Mountain?

I've never had a 1:66 twist before... usually stock 1:48 and then several fast twist 1:28 or 1:30 for conicals... funny how things change.. it used to be harder to find conical molds for muzzleloaders... now roundball molds are ones harder to find... I'm looking for a single cavity .535 but not anxious to pay $75 and not really interested in double cavity Lee... will keep an eye out for a used one here and Ebay...

Nit Wit
03-12-2018, 09:06 PM
Perhaps you can put downward pressure on the barrel when re-installing them. I agree with the others, better tight than loose!
Nit Wit

indian joe
03-13-2018, 02:45 AM
Thanks to all....It was just such a stark difference in the other rifles that I have... most are "snug" but nothing like this one... I think I read in Dutch Schoultz accuracy system that they should be easily installed by hand... guessing his thinking would be that it would put a "bind" or stress on the barrel and affect repeatable accuracy...

I'm anxious to see what I can do with the roundball in a .54... Anyone have any experience with the Pedersoli Rocky Mountain?

I've never had a 1:66 twist before... usually stock 1:48 and then several fast twist 1:28 or 1:30 for conicals... funny how things change.. it used to be harder to find conical molds for muzzleloaders... now roundball molds are ones harder to find... I'm looking for a single cavity .535 but not anxious to pay $75 and not really interested in double cavity Lee... will keep an eye out for a used one here and Ebay...

dunno why you dont like LEE roundball molds - they make the best ball molds of all

Themoose
03-13-2018, 06:38 AM
dunno why you dont like LEE roundball molds - they make the best ball molds of all

I didn't say I don't like LEE roundball molds.... I said I'm not interested in a [U]double cavity[U] Lee.

KCSO
03-13-2018, 09:50 AM
Remember the more you take the barrel out the looser it gets, tangs wear and the tennons loosen up. I don't want a removable barrel on a target gun. Now as to the tight fit when I build one I want a tight and and EVEN fit to the keys. I want the hook to fit with just a little spring to it so everything is dead tight on the stock. In other words yours is just fine drill out a nipple and use a hose to clean and don't take it apart unless yu have to.

mazo kid
03-15-2018, 06:49 PM
Just some semantics.....barrel tenons are the under lugs, barrel keys are what holds the barrel in place through the tenons. At least that is what I was taught.

kaiser
03-16-2018, 11:24 AM
Thompson Center makes a "Barrel Wedge Puller" removal tool for about $15 that is small enough to go in your "possibles bag" and designed so it won't "mar" your finish. Check Midway or "Track of the Wolf" for availability.

Themoose
03-16-2018, 02:03 PM
I have that tool; replacing the pins takes a couple good whacks..taking advice to be happy with it that way. Will clean a few times with barrel in place and see how it goes

OldBearHair
03-16-2018, 04:47 PM
And you already know how to do that! I like that! Go man go.