PDA

View Full Version : Question for Felix

nighthunter
11-24-2005, 01:33 PM
I have access to a large amount of the waxy coating used on sharpened tooling and machine parts. How can I incorporate this into FWFL? Could it be similar to the material used to make the Makers Mark seal that some people use in the lube?
Nighthunter

felix
11-25-2005, 10:45 PM
I have access to a large amount of the waxy coating used on sharpened tooling and machine parts. How can I incorporate this into FWFL? Could it be similar to the material used to make the Makers Mark seal that some people use in the lube?
Nighthunter

The answer is yes, the wax probably has a considerable amount of carnauba like the wiskey bottle has, and like what some of these expensive cheese wraps contain. Treat the wax as 50 percent carnauba for trials. ... felix

nighthunter
11-26-2005, 08:03 AM
Thanks Felix .... I'm gonna mix a batch today and will give it a try.
Nighthunter

Buckshot
11-26-2005, 08:06 AM
...........That's a hot dip protective sealant and I'm pretty sure (without knowing) that there are chemical plastisizers present. It melts at about 300 degrees. While it is somewhat pliable it is also somewhat plastic like and a bit impact resistant. Once you start a slit with a fingernail the coating will seperate ahead of it without any apparent brittleness.

...............Buckshot

felix
11-26-2005, 11:48 AM
Please, don't be disappointed if Buckshot description is correct. This means try small batches so the loss is next to zero. ... felix

nighthunter
11-26-2005, 12:45 PM
This stuff is somewhat crumbly if worked into a ball. I have a small batch made and will lube some bullets and try them in the near future. Deer season starts on Monday so might be a short while till I shoot them. I will report the results.
Nighthunter

Buckshot
11-27-2005, 07:57 AM
............If it's a bit crumbly (I'm no lube expert, just a user of others efforts) I'm going to guess the hot dip coating didn't mix or become homogenized (right word?) wiht the other ingredients. When it cooled the hot dip stuff bits are what is making it crumbly.

Since it's not the least bit sticky, it may not want to remain in the boolit's lube grooves very well.

.............Buckshot

nighthunter
11-27-2005, 09:20 AM
Buckshot ... I meant it was crumbly in its own state. The lube seems quite ok. Doesn't look or feel any different than other batches I have mixed in the past. I lubed some 170 gr. 357's with it and flowed thru the sizer ok also. Will get a few loaded and try them soon.
Nighthunter

nighthunter
11-27-2005, 08:20 PM
Loaded and shot 50 rounds in a 357 Mag. Bullet is 358429 at 170 grains. Load was 12.0 grains WC820(n). Accuracy was good and there was zero leading. Bore is bright and shiney. With my 358429 bullets I have to crimp over the front driving to get proper cartridge length. I usually lube the crimping grove but to try this batch of lube I only lubed in the standard lube groove. Even with less lube the lube worked extremely well. I guess there might be a use for that coating.
Nighthunter

Buckshot
11-28-2005, 06:27 AM
...........That's good news that the stuff seems to work. I have a BUNCH or endmills with the dip seal on'em. If it does end up working well in other applications it might be worthwhile to increase the percentage to see what happens. It's for sure a tough and resiliant coating. Only negative I can see to it in a 100% application is that it is definatly NOT sticky, by any means :D

..............Buckshot