PDA

View Full Version : Reproduction 7th Cavalry tombstone

Naphtali
03-10-2018, 09:20 PM
Several years ago when I picked up one of my Shiloh Sharps rifles or visited C. Sharps Manufacturing down the block and across the street, I saw a cast stone reproduction 7th Cavalry tombstone (grave marker) in the show room. On and off I've tried to find one or two at a price I could afford - then just to find them regardless of cost.

Anybody help me with a source? . . . Anybody? . . . Bueller?

wills
03-10-2018, 10:35 PM
Have one made?
https://www.nytimes.com/1987/04/12/nyregion/ersatz-tombstones-replace-the-historic.html

Der Gebirgsjager
03-10-2018, 10:43 PM
The folks down at Sharps won't tell you where they got them?

Naphtali
03-11-2018, 11:26 AM
The folks down at Sharps won't tell you where they got them? I asked. It had been acquired too many years prior for anyone to remember from where it came. Oh, yeah. The casting was not full sized. It was perhaps 24 inches high and nicely done.

Kraschenbirn
03-11-2018, 11:47 AM
...The casting was not full sized. It was perhaps 24 inches high and nicely done.

A 24" slab might be pretty close to full-size216217 I took this pic of the cemetery on Last Stand Hill several years ago.

Bill

country gent
03-11-2018, 01:50 PM
You might try a monuments maker. ( headstones and such), while granite and marble are the normall now I believe sandstone and limestone is still available, These were the choice in that time period as it was inexpensive lasted and was easy to work with. A few pics with a yard stick for scale and to show the stone good they may be able to make you one. A Lot of these places buy the material and do them in house so it finding the correct material and then the time. Our granite bench and base headstone was around $3000.00 and it has a lot of polish work in it that the limestone or sand stone wouldn't.

If worse comes to worse and you have the room. A form could be cut dug into the ground and the correct color of concrete poured in and cured for your slap then some sanding and engraving to make it your self. Carbide in a router will cut it to engrave