PDA

View Full Version : frangible bullets

billyb
09-04-2008, 12:16 AM
a neighbor stopped by my place a few days ago with the barrel out of his glock 40 s&w. He handed me the barrel and asked if i had seen anything like this. He had a stuck bullet in the barrel about two inches from the chamber. I asked him what kind of ammo he was using, reloads? He handed me a round of amerc factory ammo, this stuf is junk far as i am concerned. It was frangible ammo. I asked him if he wanted me to remove the bullet and he asked if i could do this. I got out the brass rod i have for just such ocasions and a brass hammer. A couple of squirts of kroil and a good whack with the hammer dislodged the bullet, it broke in half. He also had a round that he had tried to fire that popped the primer but did not burn the powder charge, i pulled the bullet and the powder and case looked like it had been wet on the inside.He said he was going to throw the rest of the ammo away and i asked for the stuff, he went to his truck and returned with about 150 rounds of this ammo-junk. Any one seen any info on loading frangible bullets.Not going to shoot this stuff, but hate to just toss it. Bill

Jim
09-04-2008, 05:34 AM
I'd trash it. The brass ain't even worth salvedging.

osage
09-04-2008, 05:55 AM
I don't have any info on loading frangibles. You could add the brass to your recycle bucket. You would need to find a way to pop the primers after you break down the rounds.

Scrounger
09-04-2008, 08:44 AM
A forum member, Captain Midnight, owned (owns) a company which made and sold frangible bullets and ammunition. I believe he is retired now but he would have knowledge you might need. Why not send him a PM and talk to him about it?

yondering
09-04-2008, 12:13 PM
Can you give us a little more explanation on what you mean by "frangible"? Frangible means that it's designed to come apart. Varmint bullets are frangible. Sintered metal bullets are often frangible. Aguila made some aluminum frangible bullets. What do you have?

It's worth checking the brass, but the case of Amerc ammo my buddy shot up had oversize primer pockets, so it was junk, and couldn't be used to load with normal primers.

billyb
09-04-2008, 11:43 PM
Can you give us a little more explanation on what you mean by "frangible"? Frangible means that it's designed to come apart. Varmint bullets are frangible. Sintered metal bullets are often frangible. Aguila made some aluminum frangible bullets. What do you have?

It's worth checking the brass, but the case of Amerc ammo my buddy shot up had oversize primer pockets, so it was junk, and couldn't be used to load with normal primers.

powdered metal formed under pressure,designed to shatter on impact with any thing solid. dont know what american ammo made thier's out of. AMERC brass is junk,so is the ammo. Won two boxes 9mm at my gun club ,about one third would not chamber in my 92. I have found several part boxes of this stuff in the dud bucket at our range, i pull the bullets and reload them in good brass. I throw the brass with live primers in my dutch oven from H F with the lid on and cook of the primers, sounds like popcorn. put a weight on the lid, some of the rifle primers will raise the lid. Bill

flinchnjerk
09-05-2008, 01:37 AM
www.frangiblebullets.com/reloading.html will give you load data, if you're tempted to pull the bullets and do some experimenting. When you get past the panegyrics of the manufacturer and do a bit of research on frangibles, you turn up some ugliness... bullets fracturing or shattering when they hit the forcing cone, etc. You're lucky that your stuck bullet shattered when you hit it.... mine didn't. Stopped about two inches from the muzzle of a 6" .357. I thought that I was going to have to run up the white flag and take the gat to a smith. Took some very serious whaling before it moved. The damned things are as hard as a diamond (they have to be in order to shatter) so there's no displacing or extruding of metal when you're trying to dislodge one. When loading the things, the light taper crinp that I use snapped the nose off of the bullets as if they were glass (yeah, I didn't believe it the first time, so ended up with two frangible wadcutters). Pulled the last 48 (#$%%@&) and the bullets didn't have so much as a scratch from the brass or a line from the crimp. The nose was gone from the one that stuck, too. To sum up, if I desperately needed projectiles, and the only two options were frangibles and my teeth, I'd be reaching for the pliers before I'd fire another frangible. Pile-on on th A-merc brass, too. Won't even use it for practice rounds.

twotrees
09-05-2008, 06:52 AM
A Friend is the range master at the Brunswick Ga training range for BP and Air Marshals and they fire that Remington stuff in all calibers with out much problem.

He gave me a few 38's and 45's to try but they are sitting in the loaded ammo box.

Are these a problem too??

Thanks,

billyb
09-05-2008, 12:29 PM
don't think you will have any trouble with the remington stuff. i bought a box of the sellier & belloit in 357sig that shot great.pretty hot load, knocked the eight inch plates down right smartly. the amerc ammo is pretty sorry stuff, i find a lot of it unfired at my club range. Bill

Captain Midnight
02-05-2014, 12:07 PM
Captain Midnight owns and operates FrangibleBullets.Com. A load data sheet for all frangible projectiles is available for download and printing. In my opinion all AMERK once fired brass and frangible ammo is questionable...... Captain

Captain Midnight
02-05-2014, 12:18 PM
Frangible.... Drop a china plate on the ceramic tile floor..... Frangible! You cannot crimp a sintered bullet.... NO CRIMP AT ALL! Download my loading instructions from FrangibleBullets.Com. Properly loaded, you can shoot frangibles safely from pistol, rifle, shotgun at 12" from an AR500 3/4" plate hung vertically. Good quality frangibles are THE ammunition choice for shoot-house steel training and hollow point duty rounds as in pistol & shotgun they do not shoot through. Captain

cpileri
02-05-2014, 04:38 PM
Captain Midnight,
Can you make a frangible for the 50BMG?
C-

deltaenterprizes
02-06-2014, 12:23 PM
Most frangible bullets I have seen are made from powdered metals including copper, one company uses a secret 7 metal mixture, and they are formed under pressure. One company uses plastic as a binder.
Glazer Safety Slugs use #12 shot in a copper jacket and are lighter than normal weights for the caliber and are very effective and very expensive , I read that they are hand loaded.