PDA

View Full Version : New Lee 6 Cavity mold

cat1870
03-07-2018, 09:02 PM
I just purchased a new Lee 6 Cavity mold.
What can be used to lubricate the mold?

Thanks,
Gary

fatmanunited
03-07-2018, 09:04 PM
I just purchased a new Lee 6 Cavity mold.
What can be used to lubricate the mold?

Thanks,
Gary2 cycle synthetic on the pins and spru plate make sure the mold is full of aluminum so there's no contamination on the inside of the cavities

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

varminter66
03-07-2018, 09:10 PM
I use bee's wax... warm the mold up, and just touch a chunk of bees wax to the alignment pins, and to the bolts on the sprue cutter... don't use much... just a touch is all that is needed... use too much and it will migrate into the cavities, causing problems with casting till it burns out, or is cleaned out. Also, read the instructions as cleaning and break-in for Lee Aluminum molds are somewhat different than steel or brass molds. Have fun with it!!

Rcmaveric
03-07-2018, 11:14 PM
Cheap dollar store 2 cycle engine oil. Use an old drop/drip type bottle. Only takes a drop or two on a q-tip. Hit the edges of the blocks, edges of the undersided of the sprue plate and try to work some into the sprue screw and then swipe all the align points/pins. Just keep the q-tip handy so when the sprue plate feels grippy or grindy, then just swipe the edges again.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

crandall crank
03-08-2018, 06:19 PM
I too use premium 2 stoke motor oil. I always have some around, usually the Husqvarna Premium Synthetic. Nothing is too good for my chainsaw.

Moonie
03-08-2018, 10:03 PM
I use low ash synthetic marine 2 stroke oil.