PDA

View Full Version : Alum. GC / Free check ?

Johnch
09-03-2008, 07:48 PM
I was thinking of making some , as a freind has a set up he bought off E bay a while back for 1 cal 30?? and is making 35 , 44 and 45 cal's

My question
Dose the alum. build up in the barrel like lead or copper can

Don't want to cause a new problem

John

Boerrancher
09-03-2008, 07:52 PM
I have shot over a thousand rounds of gas checks made from alum. I haven't had to clean the barrel of either of the two rifles I have shot them out of. I have also posted the results of some of my shooting on other threads and I doubt that you could say accuracy has suffered due to my lack of cleaning.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

RU shooter
09-03-2008, 07:56 PM
I havent had any fouling issues with Alum. or brass chex's .I havent shot any at jword vel. either maybe 2000 fps tops.

Tim

Jim
09-04-2008, 05:38 AM
John,
If you're serious, I'd be interested in knowing what you want for a .45 caliber set.

Jim

DLCTEX
09-04-2008, 09:02 AM
I take it he's talking about making checks, not making a check maker. Which is it John?

Freightman
09-04-2008, 10:47 AM
I have a 30 cal free check maker and found that the top and the bottom of the cans make nicer thicker cks than two layers of the sides. I have seen no difference in the comercial cks and the home made ones. I even pushed a 308 to 2500fps and had no lead in the bore. No I am not going to do that all the time as the accuracy started to go south at about 2200fps. The 30 cal is the only one I have so can't say about the bigger cal.

Johnch
09-04-2008, 07:20 PM
I take it he's talking about making checks, not making a check maker. Which is it John?

He is making 30 cal checks from a set up he bought and he sent me a sample of 200 or so to try

He is going to make the check maker to make the other sized checks
He is a tool and die busniss / teachs adult classes

He bought the 30 cal set up to see how it was made

He makes stuff like this once in a while , but will not sell any
Even to me

I can just borrow and buy him beer

John