PDA

View Full Version : Movie: Wind River

StolzerandSons
03-06-2018, 08:33 PM
I went to High School and met my Wife in Lander Wyoming and a lot of my friends then and now are Shoshone and Arapahoe. We've lived all around the Wind River Reservation...Lander, Riverton, Thermopolis(a lot of other places in WY as well) for years before we moved to Kansas so when I saw the movie was on Netflix I thought it might be interesting to watch and see how much Hollyweird messed up/took liberty with. I'm currently 25ish minutes in and I paused to type this because there is a reloading scene were Cory(Jeremy Renner) the USFW Gov't trapper is reloading for his lever rifle and I was shocked by how well hollyweird depicted the reloading process. And earlier in the movie Cory is picking up his son from his ex-wife and the boy is coming down stairs with is BB gun and Renner(cory) admonishes him for poor gun handling and stop him to remind him that all guns are loaded even when they aren't.

I'm not a fan of hollyweird in general and less a fan of how they usually depict gun owners but so far I'm pretty impressed with the way guns and reloading are being depicted in this movie...have to watch the rest now and see how it turns out.

For those who have already seen it keep the spoilers to yourself.

JBinMN
03-06-2018, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the referral. I will be watching it in a lil bit.
;)
https://www3.putlockertv.se/watch/wind-river.z1r03/o559j4

Steppapajon
03-06-2018, 08:52 PM
I thought it was a good movie and I really don't do movies.
SPJ

Moonie
03-06-2018, 09:03 PM
Wife and I enjoyed it

nagantguy
03-06-2018, 09:06 PM
Good movie, even addresses at the end the countless native women who go missing . The reloading scene was good as is gun handling throughout especially for Hollywood

Ickisrulz
03-06-2018, 09:12 PM
I watched it today and liked it. It was the best movie I've seen in a while. It was directed by the same guy that did Sicario, another good movie.

4rdwhln
03-06-2018, 09:52 PM
He chamfered the heck out of the brass. But it was refreshing to see him make the rounds.

rhjeepdriver
03-06-2018, 10:04 PM
Watched it over the weekend, have to agree not a bad movie. During the reloading scene, my wife looks at me and says, "Is he doing that right"? :)

762 shooter
03-06-2018, 10:04 PM
He chamfered the heck out of the brass. But it was refreshing to see him make the rounds.

I noticed that too. He pulled out a stainless Ruger Blackhawk when he walked up to the frozen girl.

At least the bad guy wasn't a backward ignorant hick talking rapist redneck.

StolzerandSons
03-06-2018, 11:03 PM
I enjoyed the rest of it and would recommend it. Overall hollyweird did a pretty good job with this movie.

JBinMN
03-06-2018, 11:14 PM
I enjoyed the rest of it and would recommend it. Overall hollyweird did a pretty good job with this movie.

Ditto. Just got done with it.

Thanks much for the tip about it.
:drinks:

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-06-2018, 11:20 PM
I seen it a couple months ago, I thought it was an Excellent movie.

woodbutcher
03-07-2018, 01:05 AM
[smilie=s: Enjoyed the movie.Thanks for posting.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

starmac
03-07-2018, 01:08 AM
I sure like that country around there, ten sleep canyon is one of the prettiest places in the country. The first time I ever pulled ten sleep, I may have been just a hair overloaded. My old truck pulled down and would only maintain 8 to 10 MPH and running a little warm to boot, I thought my fuel filter must have clogged. I came to a pullout and pulled in to change the filter. When I clutched it, it took off backwards before I could get on the brake. lol I cut some summer sausage and cheese, took some crackers and had a picnic next to a nice stream to let it cool completely down. While I was sitting there a rented motor home came coming down hill, with the brakes smoking something fierce, the folks didn't speak english, were asian , but wanted to know what was wrong with it. I tried to get them to let it cool down, but they headed on out, hopefully made it down before catching fire.

square butte
03-07-2018, 07:26 AM
The only time i ever drove over Ten Sleep was in a fully loaded 24 foot U-Haul truck with bad tires. Darn near cooked it going up, with the overheat light bouncing off and on. Brakes were mighty hot going down the other side. We drove that crapy old truck all the way to VT

Thin Man
03-07-2018, 07:37 AM
I hadn't heard any summaries about this movie but after all these comments we will find this one to watch. Only recently we dropped DirecTV and installed a streaming device, still learning how to operate it. Actually Wind River may be the first movie we watch with the new system.

salty dog
03-07-2018, 07:57 AM
Saw it when it was in the theaters and was a bit shocked to see reloading treated as a normal activity. Good movie, I still wonder how they got that band of mule deer extras to show up at the end.

RCE1
03-07-2018, 10:19 PM
I liked the movie a lot and think they did a very good job getting the guns right. I did notice, however, that there was a sleeve of rifle cartridges on the buttstock of his shotgun in one scene, but it didn't last long. Have to nit pick, though. It seems very much that the movie is based on (or inspired by) the fictional game warden character, Joe Pickett, created by C.J. Box in his series of novels. There has been no actual acknowledgement, but the resemblance of Jeremy Renner's character to the C.J. Box character is pretty undeniable. If you like this kind of thing, you might check out his work.

Tom Myers
03-07-2018, 11:20 PM
Whenever a new C.J. Box paperback novel is released, I read it from cover to cover in one night

Wayne Smith
03-08-2018, 08:49 AM
You too, Tom! But my wife gets them.

Elkins45
03-08-2018, 09:15 AM
We saw it in the “cheap” theater and both thought it was a really good movie with excellent acting all around. I’m surprised it didn’t get more attention from the awards groups, especially given the subject of violence against women.

It’s not a “feel good” movie by any means.

Markopolo
03-08-2018, 11:31 AM
I enjoyed it!!! Some of the shots with the 45/70 seemed a bit "emphasized" but then again, I never seen anybody get hit with a 400g soft lead slug from a 45/70... I loved the Hollywood depiction of his reloading setup... lots of green, and some red in there for priming tools...

Finster101
03-11-2018, 09:06 AM
" I did notice, however, that there was a sleeve of rifle cartridges on the buttstock of his shotgun in one scene, but it didn't last long. Have to nit pick, though."

I'll bet this has happened in real life a time or two, at least with the wrong ammo for the rifle. I have gone to the range with the wrong or no ammo before.

I plan on watching it this afternoon.

Rick Hodges
03-11-2018, 04:45 PM
I will have to see this.

Idaho45guy
03-11-2018, 05:08 PM
I enjoyed it!!! Some of the shots with the 45/70 seemed a bit "emphasized" but then again, I never seen anybody get hit with a 400g soft lead slug from a 45/70...

Watching it again today on Netflix. Took a screen shot of the scale and it shows 499.3 grain jacketed bullet.

richhodg66
03-11-2018, 09:28 PM
Watched it last night. Good movie, not a great movie. Worth your time. Very dark and brutal.

TXGunNut
03-12-2018, 05:34 PM
I love driving through that part of the country, will need to find the DVD.