PDA

View Full Version : 358 105 SWC 2 Cavity

sigep1764
03-06-2018, 08:28 PM
Hey Guys and Gals,
Ive been getting set up to reload 380ACP recently. After buying the Dillon 550 conversion kit and dies, the last component was a mold. Ive read good things about the Lee 358 105 SWC, so I started calling around the St. Louis area to see if a shop had one. Grafs had a 2 cavity with handles on the shelf for $22! I hopped on the motycycle and hightailed it. I could not believe how tiny this mold was. I had only worked with 4,5, and 6 cavity molds and only one Lee that dropped too small after reading here years ago. This little 2 cavity was a joy to cast with. Light weight blocks and handles made it too easy to run for 4 hours straight. Boolits just fell out of it. Casts at 358-359 at 108 grains with WW or Lyman #2.

Tumbling the brass right now so I can plunk test, set the dies, and load up some ladder charges. The Lyman 49th Edition shows no 100 to 110 grain load data. With regards to using at my own risk, does anyone have load data to start with for Red Dot/Promo? Depending on the plunk test, I was thinking 2.0 to 2.4 grains looking at the available data in the manual. Will be loading for an LCP. Never thought I'd be loading for it, but 380 ammo isn't cheap and I really love throwing this thing in a DeSantis in my back pocket when riding the motycycle or a quick run to the store. This site has been such a wealth of knowledge over the last few years. Has really helped to stretch the dollars and expand skills. Very much appreciate this place.

Rcmaveric
03-06-2018, 08:36 PM
The wife tricked me into reloading 380 ACP. I had my eyes on Lee-356-90-rn or the one your using. I like the light little lee mold. Never had problem with sticking bullets.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

sigep1764
03-06-2018, 08:52 PM
I thought for sure the salesman had made a mistake until I read the box. It had to be a single cavity. Nope. It just opened and closed so easily, heated up quickly, and dropped easily. Had to get used to not opening the bottom pour all the way to fill it. If I did, lead went everywhere. Just a light small stream and the tiniest sprue.

jcren
03-06-2018, 08:58 PM
The Lee 95 grain rf is custom made for 380. Only one of mine (taurus tcp) is picky about oal with this bullet.

sigep1764
03-07-2018, 01:04 PM
In order to barely pass the plunk test, I had to seat these at .895. Pretty deep, deep enough to swage the base some. I may need to size to 357 instead of 358, but being without a 357 sizing die, I loaded some up anyway. Ten rounds each at 2, 2.2, and 2.4 grains of Red Dot. Headed to the range now.

sigep1764
03-07-2018, 02:41 PM
Well they all fired. 2.4 grains of RedDot was hot. 2grains was snappy. I'm thinking 1.8 will be next. I did have some failures to feed. I believe the load is too short, but cannot load any longer without hitting the rifling. Waiting to see what Dougguy says.

sigep1764
03-07-2018, 04:35 PM
Ok, so after some experimenting, I got the rounds to feed and plunk at .920 to .925. I am getting a little lead shaving at this point. Will adjust the powder funnel to reach a little further into the case to see if this helps. Will have to wait til tomorrow night to try these. Gotta work this evening.

Rcmaveric
03-07-2018, 04:57 PM
Have you tried measuring your chamber? Close the bolt. Insert a dowel till it rests on the bolt face and mark it it at the muzzle. Then inster a bullet into the chamber and hold it in place. Then reinsert the dowel till it touches the bullet and mark the dowel at the muzzle. The measurement between the two marks is your Max C.O.L. I subtract .002 inches drom that and make that my C.O.L. to start with.

sigep1764
03-07-2018, 10:41 PM
I didn't do it that way, but that is much smarter and more clever than my "seat a boolit super long and seat it deeper and deeper til it plunks" method. More than .925, it sticks. But I think I have alleviated the boolit hitting and stopping on the barrel hood.

Rcmaveric
03-07-2018, 11:19 PM
Different methods, same madness. Herd of others using your method but using a sharpy. I like quick easy and repearability. The hard you make a process, the harder it is for others to perform. I also like to keep references with my files and notes. Once measured with a micrometer, you can place the bullet and cartridge next to micrometer. Take picture and name it COL for gun and cartridge. Now you will forever have the reference for that gun and bullet to refer back to.

sigep1764
03-08-2018, 01:09 AM
I write my current loads in Sharpie on the leg of my reloading bench. I just look down and its there. This of course after I have settled on a load! I just ventured into reloading a caliber other than 9mm, so it doesn't take up much space.

Lloyd Smale
03-08-2018, 07:38 AM
my lcp runs the 105 just fine. I was going to get the 95 but for as much as I shoot the 380 the 105 will do just fine

rosewood
03-08-2018, 07:59 AM
Sigep,

I am guessing you got a Dillon extra small powder bar? The small one with mine will not drop powder as low as thats. Good report, casting for the .380 is on my list of things to do.

Rosewood

sigep1764
03-08-2018, 10:10 AM
I bought a caliber exchange kit from Dillon. It came with the standard powder bar. I haven't had an issue getting it to drop 2 grains and I had no idea they had an extra small bar available. Are there any advantages?

Thin Man
03-08-2018, 12:07 PM
I see a respectful number of .380 pistols come through the shop for cleaning, repair, adjustment, etc. Lee's 105 is my boolit of choice for this cartridge. Have tested many different powders and charge levels, some reasonable, some hotter. I keep a box of moderate charge loads for the smaller, lighter pistols and a box of more robust loads for the larger pistols. For all the years I have loaded this cartridge, I have never had a Lee 105 boolit fail to feed in any .380 pistol I fed it into. Luck was on my side.

sigep1764
03-08-2018, 08:44 PM
All feeding issues are gone with the new load length of .920. 2grains of Red Dot is still snappy, snappier than my carry load. When I did my part, they landed within 3 or 4 inches at 7 yards, which is not bad with this tiny gun. I still think 1.8 grains will do better and shoot softer. Will load 20 up and test tomorrow night or Sunday. Oh, no leading even with the hot load running .358!

sigep1764
03-08-2018, 09:35 PM
Rosewood was right, small powder bar will not drop below 2 grains consistently. Ordered the extra small powder bar tonight. I had to dump a lot of light charges to load up 20 rounds at 1.8 grains. I won't be loading any more til the new bar comes in. I did check if Grafs in St. Charles Mo had them first as I like to shop local, but they were out. Said they order $15k worth of Dillon at a time and would not be ordering for at least 3 weeks. Bummer, I don't expect this part to make it here til next week.

LenH
03-09-2018, 01:04 PM
I had a friend that loaded .32 for Bullseye matches. He had to get the Extra Small charge bar for the light load. After he got that charge bar his loads stabilized and his scores went up.

One of the funny things about the things that happened during a match during the slow fire match. I overheard his wife scold him about seeing the bullet leave the barrel and hit
the dirt about 15 yards out. We found a couple of the slugs in the sand.

sigep1764
03-10-2018, 03:56 PM
1.8 grains was Nice! Good recoil and groups went to 2-3 inches at 7 yards. I'm happy. Now just waiting on that charge bar to load up the brass I have, only around 300 or 400. The range officers are collecting some brass for me so hopefully I can get some practice with this thing.

Rcmaveric
03-10-2018, 05:58 PM
Nice results.

rosewood
04-04-2018, 12:09 PM
Rosewood was right, small powder bar will not drop below 2 grains consistently. Ordered the extra small powder bar tonight. I had to dump a lot of light charges to load up 20 rounds at 1.8 grains. I won't be loading any more til the new bar comes in. I did check if Grafs in St. Charles Mo had them first as I like to shop local, but they were out. Said they order $15k worth of Dillon at a time and would not be ordering for at least 3 weeks. Bummer, I don't expect this part to make it here til next week.

I have a Lee auto disk kit and bought the adjustable charge bar for it. It works great on the dillon. I use this setup on most all of my smaller pistol calibers. You just need the Lee dies with the appropriate powder/funnel die. It is easier to setup the proper powder drop with the Lee than with the dillon. I still use the dillon for larger pistol calibers and rifle calibers.

Rosewood

sigep1764
04-04-2018, 03:54 PM
I got the xtra small powder bar and its been working pretty well. But I will keep that powder measure in mind when I start reloading for 270 Win.
I am having a small issue with this mold that others have had with Lee. The sprue plate keeps loosening up on me. Can anybody help with what size bit, set screw, and thread cutter they used to fix this?