PDA

View Full Version : Applying JPW & Alox

straight-shooter
09-03-2008, 05:16 PM
Still new at this game so here's a question. I'm wanting to apply a 50/50 coating to tumble lube bullets using JPW & alox. Should I melt the JPW and squirt in some alox after the JPW is melted then tumble or.... Next option would be to coat with alox and let dry then melt some JPW and apply as a second coat.

Also, when you heat the JPW do you heat long enough for the spirits to dissipate or tumble lube before the spirits dissipate ?

Boerrancher
09-03-2008, 05:30 PM
When I use Alox which is almost never, I let it dry for about 24 hrs, then I put a coat of JPW on, but I do not heat it or the boolits. I take it out of the can and toss it in my empty peanut butter Jar along with the boolits and tumble until evenly dispersed on the boolits. From there they go to the wax paper to dry. Some of the Alox may wash off so don't tumble any longer than you need to. Heating the JPW will cause more of the alox to wash off.

Here is a clean boolit:

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/Boerrancher/101_0204.jpg

Here is what it will look like once the final coat of JPW hardens.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/Boerrancher/101_0205.jpg

Hope this helps

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

straight-shooter
09-03-2008, 05:51 PM
Boerrancher thank you for the explanation and it makes perfect sense. Only other thought is what would the result be if the alox and the jpw were mixed together without heat 50/50 then tumble lubed ?

dk17hmr
09-04-2008, 09:34 AM
Out of curiosity, how long does it take JPW to dry?

Tumtatty
09-04-2008, 09:46 AM
JPW dries much faster than Alox. I think mine are dry in a few hours if left outside, perhaps overnight if inside.

rhbrink
09-04-2008, 11:43 AM
Being somewhat new at this game what is JPW?

straight-shooter
09-04-2008, 01:42 PM
JPW= Johnson's Paste Wax

mdi
09-04-2008, 02:55 PM
Why not mix 50/50 JPW and Alox prior to tumble lubing? Maybe 1/4 alox and 1/4 cup JPW and use this mix for tumble lubing? May have to slightly warm the lubes to get a thorough blend. A half cup will lube a lot of bullets.

mdi
09-04-2008, 02:58 PM
BTW, I've tried JPW on my light .44 mag. loads in my 12" Contender (265 SWC w/about 9 gr Unique). Haven't developed the load for accy. yet, but no leading so far and smokes less than straight Alox.

Boerrancher
09-04-2008, 04:07 PM
Boerrancher thank you for the explanation and it makes perfect sense. Only other thought is what would the result be if the alox and the jpw were mixed together without heat 50/50 then tumble lubed ?

I don't know if it would dry to a hard enough finish to not be sticky. I may have to mix up a couple of table spoons of each and try it just to see what happens. Now I know that Ricochet uses a JPW and Alox mix for his brown thunder lube, but I don't know what if anything he adds to it. I am sure the would share his info if you PMed him and ask.

Joe

straight-shooter
09-04-2008, 05:21 PM
I don't know if it would dry to a hard enough finish to not be sticky. I may have to mix up a couple of table spoons of each and try it just to see what happens. Now I know that Ricochet uses a JPW and Alox mix for his brown thunder lube, but I don't know what if anything he adds to it. I am sure the would share his info if you PMed him and ask.

Joe

A very small amount of parrafin would help with hardening it. I have found out that too much parrafin and it wil cure before I had a chance to tumble.

XRING363
09-04-2008, 06:35 PM
I tried 50-50 mixed and it was a bit sticky. 30-70 LLA and JPW works for me. I melt the JPW with a heat gun, mix and enjoy! So far, my 45ACP and 9mm seem to be very happy with the lube. I've not used it for the more demanding work in revolvers yet, but I will. If you look around on this board, search JPW or Johnson Paste Wax and you will see some REMARKABLE!! results.

Regards
Jeff

kamikaze1a
09-04-2008, 08:01 PM
I believe the main objective when using JPW is to shield your fingers/dies from the Alox? That's what I gathered, but JPW does have some lubricating function...

straight-shooter
09-04-2008, 08:16 PM
I fired 50 rounds today with just alox and another 50 rounds with alox and JPW. After firing the alox only rounds I ran a patch down the barrel and noticed no leading but a more dull look in the barrel. After firing the alox/jpw rounds and ran a patch the barrel looked perty! Nice and shiny.... twas amazing.

test gun was a S&W 686

Boerrancher
09-04-2008, 09:37 PM
For most of my shooting 1950 fps and under I use strait JPW and have wonderful results. On this forum I have 2 different threads posted about the results of free checks, and I have pics of the groups I have shot at 75 and 100 yards. My lube was strait JPW and I was shooting a 30-06 between 1500 and 2000 fps. I don't know how it will hold up in the 2500 fps range, but one of these days I a going to give it a try.

Here are the pics of the groups with the Data on them.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/Boerrancher/101_0196.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/Boerrancher/101_0200.jpg

Best Wishes from the Boer Ranch.

Joe