PDA

View Full Version : Missouri River? Better think ahead!

waksupi
03-05-2018, 10:31 AM
Remember a few years back, when there was serious downstream flooding on the Missouri River? Better get prepared for it again this year.
LOTS more snow this year. 20+ feet on the front range. One town has been snowed in for nearly a month. Their basketball team was stranded while away for a game, and still haven't been able to get home.
When a chinook hits, or just spring temperatures, an investment in sandbag futures may be a good thing. You are going to get wet feet!

Preacher Jim
03-05-2018, 10:37 AM
Thank you I live close to Missouri river

Handloader109
03-05-2018, 10:51 AM
Downstream is WET already with all the rain in February. Yep, if heat hits hard and fast look out!

RGrosz
03-05-2018, 10:59 AM
But the Corp of Engineers said it was extraordinary circumcisions that caused the flood. Not something they did, like hold too much water back in the impoundments so the pallid sturgeon had a place to spawn.Then they got 10" of rain across most of the watershed of the upper Big Muddy's drainage that started the chain reaction. It sounded about as ridicules writing that as the COE explanation that they told us.
Rob

runfiverun
03-05-2018, 12:43 PM
well they better be sharpening their pencils to write another one.
I'm just glad this last storm wasn't rain.
we got a couple of feet here in the valley real quick and it isn't light fluffy stuff.
more is supposed to be coming.

I'm starting to consider packing up and going south.

popper
03-05-2018, 02:41 PM
Wonder how the Oroville dam wild hold up. I was up in Ne a few years back, a couple from Ia were there on the way to SD to watch the water go over the dam.

KCSO
03-05-2018, 03:03 PM
Thanks a bunch we were the recipients last time. Niobrara was flooded and isolated for almost two months. We canoed over the golf course and down highway 12. Our car dealer ship lost over 50,000 dollars in business and the restaurant folded up.

Today we are having another blizzard with 6 inches of wet heavy snow. Boy this global warming is killing us????

MT Gianni
03-05-2018, 04:19 PM
Some areas near me are at 190% of annual snow pack and winter is nowhere near ending.

sharps4590
03-05-2018, 04:30 PM
Wow...190%? That's a pile of snow!!! I remember one winter of 150% in NW Wyoming and that was plenty. Here in central Mo. we've just come off 5-8 inches of rain, depending on where you are and, more on the way. If the river is full when that snow melts...shades of '93 and '95?

Duckiller
03-05-2018, 05:13 PM
You people are stealing all of California's snow. Last year the sirras had 150% of normal, this year skiing has been rough. Politicians are lookinto tell us how to live.If the state has a real water shortage then you don't issue building permits.

Randy Bohannon
03-05-2018, 08:11 PM
166% in the Big Horn's here in Wyoming,we've had only 2 years in the last 10 that were normal precipitation 8 yrs all have been above. Mule Deer herds over by Pinedale are rebounding nicely as well around here.

Sweetpea
03-06-2018, 09:23 AM
You guys can send some of that snow toward Utah, it is pathetic this year!

If it wasn't for the almost 300% we had last year, we'd be in big trouble.

Thundarstick
03-06-2018, 10:17 AM
Every thing that comes down the Missouri and the Ohio hits the Mississippi and comes by here, and it's water water every where here now!

woody1
03-06-2018, 03:06 PM
You guys can send some of that snow toward Utah, it is pathetic this year!

If it wasn't for the almost 300% we had last year, we'd be in big trouble.

No, no, no .................send it here. Last I heard we were at 38%. My hay is almost gone and I was planning on a good crop this year but prob'ly won't have enough water to irrigate it. Wonder it we could use USPS flat rate boxes to send some. 'Course it wouldn't get here and then we'd blame it on the USPS and start another rant againse them! Regards, Woody

nagantguy
03-06-2018, 04:24 PM
We are having the same worries here in parts of MI, except military service and a short time down south I've lived here my whole life, last week I heard of mandatory flood evacuations and I've never heard that before, the sod farm down the road was a lake for about 2 weeks. You guys living on rivers be careful, don't try and wade through flood water that doesn't look "that deep". Watch out for one another and any elderly neighbors.