PDA

View Full Version : Rabid coyote

starmac
03-04-2018, 06:02 PM
It is rare, but looks like rabies has ben confirmed in at least one New York coyote.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/04/coyote-that-bit-several-people-was-rabid-police-say.html

dubber123
03-04-2018, 06:24 PM
Not surprising, and if one had it, don't be surprised if others show up. I've dealt with rabid animals twice in the last 3 years, the game wardens say it shows up in different animals in bunches, for example, he will see a run of raccoons, then it will be skunks or foxes, or... Both of us assume its because the transfer to their buddies of the same species is most likely. Both of my run ins were right on private property, yet another reason to be armed.

ShooterAZ
03-04-2018, 06:30 PM
Where I live, Rabies is not uncommon. It looks like it's primarily prevalent in skunks and foxes.

http://www.azdhs.gov/documents/preparedness/epidemiology-disease-control/rabies/data/2018.pdf

starmac
03-04-2018, 07:10 PM
Skunks can carry it with no signs of it, that is the reason they can not be deskunked and sold in pet stores like they used to be.
As far as I know, it kills every other animal after it has run it's course.

bullet maker 57
03-04-2018, 07:19 PM
That coyote was not far from my home. They were loose in Yonkers NY. The police shot one and it tested positive for rabies. No one is sure which one attacked the people and dogs. I've had one in my back yard. I by no means live in the country. Can't shoot them, to many houses around.

NyFirefighter357
03-04-2018, 07:26 PM
That is where I work. I've seen coyotes at that golf course as I've eaten lunch in the parking lot. At one point they had 5 helo's in the air. That is also in the area of Kimber Arms.

NyFirefighter357
03-04-2018, 07:33 PM
My daughter was attacked by a rabid fox last year in our friends driveway, I was able to kick it away several times as it kept coming back. It didn't bite or scratch anyone that time but had before and after as it got away from us. It had initially ran into the house chasing after us but we were were able to kick it through the door outside.

daniel lawecki
03-04-2018, 07:52 PM
He didn't come in contact with Bloomberg did he.

ShooterAZ
03-04-2018, 07:59 PM
My daughter was attacked by a rabid fox last year in our friends driveway, I was able to kick it away several times as it kept coming back. It didn't bite or scratch anyone that time but had before and after as it got away from us. It had initially ran into the house chasing after us but we were were able to kick it through the door outside.

That's some scary business right there. Same thing happened here a couple years ago to a hiker on a trail very near my house. He had to keep kicking the fox away until it was dead, it wouldn't stop coming after them...Yikes.

AK Caster
03-04-2018, 09:05 PM

Why didn’t you just shoot it? If that isn’t defending your lives I don’t know what would be.

Mr_Sheesh
03-04-2018, 09:34 PM
Or at least use a boar spear or the like. (For a VERY cheap spear cut the end off a piece of #80 black gas pipe at a sharp angle, makes it quite pokey...)

MaryB
03-04-2018, 09:58 PM
Only seen a rabid coyote once where I live, skunks almost every year, raccoons every so often but they are more down by the river. Foxes wander through on occasional but to many dogs in town for them so if I see one headed into town I assume it is rabid and shoot it. Couple of us on the edge of town get calls from the city office to look out for coyotes and foxes and skunks coming into town.

Thin Man
03-05-2018, 08:27 AM
We see rabies quite often in raccoons in TN. Some people keep them as pets. My sister used to work as a wildlife rehabilitator. The various vet offices would send referrals of wildlife to her frequently. She would bring mammals and birds back to health if injured, or to juvenile status if newborn, and release them back into the wild. Then I learned our animal control personnel (city staff) had orders from the state's Wildlife Commission that they would NOT be allowed to release any raccoon that was brought to them, the officers must put the raccoons down because of the high prevalence of rabies in them. My sister never heard about this rule before she passed 2 years ago. She would have been devastated by that news.

Hickory
03-05-2018, 09:01 AM
About 20 years ago I took my son to a hunter safety course and the local game warden showed up for the class. He said that there were rabies in the area and that the kids were to tell their parents to kill any skunks or raccoons they saw during the daytime hours, and to burn the carcass. No fines or charges would be levied.

Thundarstick
03-05-2018, 10:29 AM
I had a skunk charge me just at dawn as I was going into the squirrel woods, I bolted, he followed, and caught a 17HM2 in the kisser! I want about to touch it as i was 99% sure it was rabid! Foxes in this neck of the woods seem to prefer town over country because they are safer from the coyotes!

bayjoe
03-06-2018, 08:30 PM
seeing cases of rabies in Colorado this spring. Mainly skunks this year

JBinMN
03-06-2018, 08:45 PM
He didn't come in contact with Bloomberg did he.

Too bad...

jsizemore
03-06-2018, 09:13 PM
I was doing some work in town and talking to the homeowner about rabies. I said if you see a fox during the day, there's a good chance it has rabies. Not 3 minutes later a fox crosses the road in front of her house heading toward the neighbors. I told her to call the police and I followed the critter. Police found me and I pointed out the fox. When the policeman approached the fox it charged and he cut loose with the 410 the town uses for critters. Health dept check confirmed rabies. I see them on the farm I apply the 3 S's since we have livestock.

nagantguy
03-06-2018, 09:17 PM
Have dispatched lots and lots of rabid raccoons round here, urn them when I can, or bury them deep. Won't burn them in the dry times, no point in saving game and livestock from rabies if'n I burn them all by accident. 2 years ago hunting squirrels on opening morning my daughter and me kept hearing this sound like someone clicking their tounge and then something rustling the leaves,as it got lite we saw a raccoon so far into madness it couldn't climb the tree, it was making the most awful clicking and clacking sounds. I dispatched it,the woods were bone dry, so I sent her to the truck to get the shovel and buried it deep. Years before in he same area a rabid fox came after us, looked like it had eaten a bar of shaving soap ,my buddy shot at it first and missed and it kept coming , my first shot and his second both hit it. We burned right in the swamp .

Plate plinker
03-06-2018, 11:07 PM
To many animals and not enough trapping gets us this problem. Wear fur!

mold maker
03-08-2018, 11:53 AM
Our forefathers all but eliminated the yote problem and the do-gooders reintroduced it. Why can't the busybodies leave well enough alone?

Ramguy
03-08-2018, 08:13 PM
Out here on the prairie, if it's out during the day and it's a nocturnal critter, it'll probably get dispatched.

Rally
03-10-2018, 02:22 AM
Mold Maker,
I believe you meant our forefathers just about eliminated the wolf. Coyotes, at no point in history, despite millions of dollars spent on control efforts, have ever been in short supply. Currently their range has been extended to all but Hawaii.
On a side note. With current low fur prices, few trappers are able to justify much trapping. For those with pets it would be wise to keep their vaccinations up to date.

starmac
03-10-2018, 03:44 AM
As far as I know their numbers have never been threatened, but were kept somewhat in check until the cyanide bombs were outlawed.

mold maker
03-10-2018, 09:17 AM
My Grandad used to tell of farmers killing both on sight. I'm now older than my grandad was, and had never seen a yote till 2015. Now as in the song, "Their everywhere". Seems as if we allowed it to happen without having a care in the world.

starmac
03-10-2018, 02:21 PM
Farmers and ranchers still shoot them on site, and I have still seen thousands of them. They will never be eradicated, by shooting or trapping, they didn't even come close when it was legal to poison them.

MoldMaker, I was the house on a section where I lived in New Mexico, one saturday morning the government were shooting them out of helicopters. Three choppers were chasing and shooting them and killed 43 just on the section I lived on.
It is not as popular now, but when I was younger it was quite popular to run them with greyhounds.

shortlegs
03-10-2018, 05:39 PM
Saw one 2 houses down from me in Sept. in front yard in middle of day. They are scouting the trash cans and yards with small pets for an easy meal. We have a " kill on sight" request for all hunters in our hunting club.(15 min. from home). Vestavia Al, (about 10 miles south of here) hired a trapper to help control them.

mold maker
03-11-2018, 01:56 PM
Time was when most of the acreage was farmland and farmers carried, to rid their farm of pests. Nowadays the same farm is divided into 200 1/4 acre plots and folks can shake their neighbor's hand while laying in bed. You wouldn't think that kind of wildlife could still flourish. But then you think just how many homes have house and yard pets, and the reason for the current problem is obvious.
I was 55 years old when I saw my first groundhog, about 9 miles away, and now they are a constant threat in a ditch bank less than 2 blocks from the center of town.
Not all progress is for the better.

MaryB
03-11-2018, 11:09 PM
Neighbor across the street called today, had one going after the horses in daylight. I went over with the AR-15 and dropped it, told him to use gloves if he touches it and to burn the carcass and anything that touches it in case of rabies. It looked sick, fur was all matted and nasty...

William Yanda
03-12-2018, 06:56 AM
Too bad...

I took that the other way, as that is how he contracted rabies!

trapper9260
03-12-2018, 06:28 PM
I know when rabies first show up in New England. it came up the coast from I think VA when some coon hunters live trap some coon in FL and brought them to VA to train there dogs.Then some had been rabid. Then it works it way up the coast and now it works it was to the west now. Also some can mistake a coon for being rabid when they have distemper. We got a large out break of distemper here in Iowa and there is not many coon around where I am .Also for what is said about trapping to keep the animals in check and then you got some states that just about do not let anyone trap. Also like was also stated the low fur price. But I trap anyways. Like I normal do from season to season for how I can.

MaryB
03-12-2018, 11:10 PM
Few pelts I got last fall I tanned for my own use. Coyote throw lined with soft buckskin feels good on a cold winter night watching TV!