PDA

View Full Version : Casting bench advice needed

LeroyvdH
03-02-2018, 11:33 AM
I just built a casting bench in the corner of my garage. 30''x75''. I need more room. Stated with a Lee 10lb'er and a 50cal rb, what could go wrong.. The beast needs it's own cage.
Casting will be on the left half of bench. Power is there. Sizing on the right side. Bench is built from 2x4's 3/4 plywood with a 16ga steel top bent and formed. It is 38'' tall so I can stand or sit on a chair pending how my back is feeling.
My dilemma.. I would like to put a bathroom fan in a hood to suck up fumes. I would like to do this once. I was thinking.... 2'w x3'l x 16'' d. Bottom of the hood would be 6' off the ground giving 33'' to bench top. Approximately 20'' from the top of casting pot.
Would this be enough room for the fumes to go up or not? I would still like to look over the pot to see my thermometer. The fan would only have 16'' of pipe and the fumes will be outside.. 100cfm fan
Thanks for listening to my big problem any advice or pics welcome.
Leroy

lightman
03-02-2018, 11:42 AM
That should work ok. Sounds like a nice comfortable set up!

Dusty Bannister
03-02-2018, 11:52 AM
Many options, but I cast in a shed and made a casting cabinet with plywood top, sides and base. The back of the cabinet is plexi-glass and the fan is installed in the top with a 3" lip across the front of the top. This draws the room air into the front and exhausts via an aluminum duct to the outside. A solid pedestal is used to adjust the height to suit either sitting or standing. I prefer to stand when casting. the cabinet is 24" wide, 12" deep and 24" tall. My PID is attached to the exterior of the side of the cabinet so it just unplugs to move the cabinet to other locations.

OS OK
03-02-2018, 12:00 PM
https://diy.stackexchange.com/questions/11110/how-many-cfm-for-a-range-hood-do-i-really-need

Calculating CFM according to width of work area and the amount of heat involved...

Grmps
03-02-2018, 01:27 PM
I replaced the sheetrock crawl hole cover with a piece of plywood then installed a bathroom vent fan (for if/when things get smokier) and the exhaust for the Kitchen vent.
https://i.imgur.com/JVSoyIb.jpg

Hung the kitchen vent over the end of my casting/coating bench.
https://i.imgur.com/QwyL7QT.jpg

LeroyvdH
03-02-2018, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the comments and advice. Grmps I really like your state of the art fumes deflector. Borrowed a hole saw today cutting tonight We're going in. When it's all said and done will have to post a pic.
Thanks Leroy

Rcmaveric
03-03-2018, 06:32 AM
Sign.... wish i had a garage. I am in a closet.... seriously, the wife said i could have the coat closset as my man cave/reloading room/Dextor's Laboratory. I maximized that 5x4 foot coffin. I have a tote on the back porch that holds my equipment for casting when its cool. I use the fire place on hot days.

mold maker
03-03-2018, 10:23 AM
We all make do with whatever makes SWMBO happy, with an eye to the future. I got lucky twice with a basement and carport to myself. I did, however, start out working from a kind of wooden (foot locker) tote. It held everything including supplies, tools, and served as a bench. I wish everything could be that close together now.

LeroyvdH
03-05-2018, 12:00 PM
Well the weekend went fairly well. Vent is in, hood is built, fan installed.. Waiting for my electrician to get back from the middle of nowhere. Went through the totes and cleaned and sorted. Now to build the shelves. Maybe this weekend, unless my social director has made plans for me. Supposed to be above freezing it's been a long cold winter