PDA

View Full Version : Lube/Sizing a TL Bullet

crandall crank
02-28-2018, 08:07 AM
I have a couple of TL design bullet molds and have been TL'ing them without any problems. I recently acquired a Lube/Sizer from a fellow site member and have a couple of questions.

Is there any reason that I can not lube/size the TL design bullets? Is there any advantage to or not to do it? I would prefer not to replace the molds I currently have just for lubing reasons.

Does anyone have a recommended lube for 9mm, 45LC, 45 ACP, 30/30, 30-06 cast bullets? I would like to use the same lube for all of these. I am not opposed to using a heater for the lube, if it is needed.

Czech_too
02-28-2018, 08:42 AM
I know of no reason why a TL designed bullet can't, or shouldn't be, sized in a lube-sizer. I've been doing it w/o any problems.
Been using White Label BAC on anything, pistol or rifle, that's run thru the sizer.
Others are into making their own lubes, something I haven't tried to do yet.

Larry Gibson
02-28-2018, 10:57 AM
I size/lube TL bullets (30, 31, 35, 41 and 44 calibers) all the time in my 450 lubrasizer. The best all around lube will be Lar's (White Label) NRA 50/50 formula. It is an excellent lube for all velocity ranges you'll use shoot at. It also is soft enough to flow into the small lube grooves w/o a heater needed.

No lube on bullet noses to potentially gunk up the dies is the main benefit I derive from lubing them in the 450.

pworley1
02-28-2018, 11:50 AM
It works fine for me. You just have to be sure not to reduce the diameter of the bullet very much or the grooves will disappear.

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-28-2018, 12:23 PM
Gee, I hate to be the only nay sayer...But I would recommend against using a lubesizer and traditional lube with Lee's TL designed boolits. I'm not gonna say you "can't", but my experience is that I couldn't get enough lube on the Lee TL boolits with a lubesizer. I have tried it with 30 cal rifle boolits (CTL312-160-2R) and it failed, not enough lube in those tiny shallow grooves. If you do try it, report back and let us know how it worked for you.

If you have Ranch Dog designed TL molds, which have larger/deeper TL grooves, it should work, I have a 41 cal TL Ranch dog Mold that I lube and size with a lube sizer and it works well.

As Larry suggests, "Lar's (White Label) NRA 50/50 formula" is a excellent choice for all your calibers.

MT Gianni
02-28-2018, 03:09 PM
If you do so you need an excellent lube.