PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else get bored with bullet profiles?

trickyasafox
09-02-2008, 11:09 AM
I seem to go in phases where I prefer different bullet profiles. most of my shooting is on paper, so really it doesn't matter which one I shoot- but I genuinely get entertainment value out of switching between several different styles.

example- I really like Lee's TC design for the 45, but when I get bored of it, I like to go to a SWC, RNFP, or straight RN design. I seem to go in spurts.

anyone else this easily entertained?

Bass Ackward
09-02-2008, 11:31 AM
If you don't change bullets, you are going to get bored and be forced to change guns.

Changing bullets is cheaper, so who cares if I get bored? :grin:

DLCTEX
09-02-2008, 01:20 PM
How do you know if the next boolit won;t be the greatest ever in your gun if you don't cast it and test it extensively? Just makes sense to me. Go for it! DALE

John Boy
09-02-2008, 05:10 PM
I seem to go in spurts. anyone else this easily entertained?
Fox, have been a 'xperimenter for many years and too too many molds.

Each mold HAD a given purpose and now many have fallen into disfavor because I keep target data for each one. Target data is important for me because I shoot out to 1000yds.

Best advicce I can offer is:
* Make a list of your molds
* Cast different alloys from them and record the data
* Fine tune the alloys for the ones that produce above average to excellent data
* Sell the ones that generate average to poor data

As for shapes, except for the RB's, most of mine are taper nosed (Postell - PJ Creedmoor and Dan T's Money Bullet) or tapered with small metplats. For revolver calibers - small metplat or RNFP. SWC's - NAW! Don't own a one