PDA

View Full Version : Some newbie questions on Lubrisizer

solman
02-27-2018, 07:56 PM
Hi Al, l am a new member with some questions. I have done some bullet casting using lee tumble lube dies and shot them as cast. I wanted to rake it up a notch as I have a 44 Lee bullet mold that is not a tumble lube type. I thought perhaps it's time to get a lubrisizer and was thinking either the LmMan or the RCBS. Is one clearly better than the other? Also I was wondering if the heater is a must have or can I do without it? Also not sure which bullet lube people like for handgun last bullets?
Thanks
Solman

lightman
02-27-2018, 08:56 PM
Either sizer that you list will work fine. Of the two, the RCBS probably has the best customer service. You don't need a heater unless you use a high temp hard lube or use it in a very cold place. Check out the sticky on bullet lube. White Label has a web site that describes their products.

Edited to add, Welcome to the Forum!

Mal Paso
02-27-2018, 09:28 PM
There is also the Star Sizer at $338. It is what you will want later after you bought 10 dies for your RCBS/Lyman sizer. I think it's a law, like gravity. LOL

I think lubes should be soft. Mine flow fine at room temperature. A tungsten light bulb close to the sizer works on cold mornings. It doesn't take much heat. I think the Lyman heater I had was only 20 watts. Got a Star coming, no heater.

Hard lubes are good for shipping cross country and staying on the boolit, not as good for shooting.

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-27-2018, 11:29 PM
compared to what else is available, the Lyman and RCBS are about the same.
Heater? I would recommend it, but honestly, some lube's need it, some don't.
Lube? there are a lot of lube's out there, and there is a lot of lube recipes out there to make your own.

Bazoo
02-28-2018, 12:11 AM
Howdy from kentucky. Welcome to the forum. Im fairly new to lube sizers myself. I started using lee push through sizing dies. I did that and pan lubed or tumble lubed a while. You can tumble lube a traditional type bullet by the way, if you didnt already know. My advice to you is go with the lyman 450 with no heater. You can pick one up for around 75 bucks. If you need a heater for a cold spot, or to run some hard lube, a heat lamp or in my case, the wifes hair dryer works well.

Also, one thing i've learned that were helpful to me is a flat nose seating plug will handle most of your sizing needs with flat nosed bullets. They are available from accurate molds reasonable. http://www.accuratemolds.com/topPunch.php I ground off a factory one. The old style sizing dies dont have O rings on them, and are fine. And RCBS and Lyman dies are interchangeable.

Mitch
03-01-2018, 06:23 PM
Juts my 2 cents worth. once you get the lube sizer and you do want to add some heat,be carefull al that is needed it the lubs size to be warm to the touch.any more heat than thatis way to much and you will make a mess of gooy lube all over.i use White Lable Carnuba Red> just click the LsSTUFF.com thumbnail at the bottom of this page.