PDA

View Full Version : .45LC bullets in .45ACP

Ramguy
02-27-2018, 03:06 PM
Kinda new to this forum but been shooting for nigh onto 50 years. I shoot a fair amount of bowling pins (old Second Chance), some IPSC, some bullseye, and a bit of varmiting. I acquired a bunch of big .45 cast bullets that had not been sized or lubed. They started out around .457. I lubed one of the rings and sized them to .452. The Phelps (Star copy) sizer did it without any complaints. I am wanting to load these 245gr Keith type bullets using components on hand, mostly Bullseye. I was thinking about a load of 5.0gr of BE. I have been loading a 200SWC H&G#68 for pins with a load of 5.7 grain. It gives me plenty of action on the pins and I don't have a problem clearing the tables. We think that the sharper edges tend to bite in to bowling pins better than a round nose. Thoughts??

Tom W.
02-27-2018, 03:26 PM
IMHO those sound more like rifle bullets from the original size. If your .45 acp is a revolver, there is a chance that the Starline brass that they make for Cowboy Action would work. When I had mine I saved the bigger bullets for the .45 Colt and stayed with 230 gr. or less for the ACP loads.

knifemaker
02-27-2018, 03:30 PM
You did not say if these loads will be fired from a semi auto 1911 or a 45 acp revolver. If from the 1911, you may encounter feeding problems with that bullet. Load some up and test it for reliability on feeding. You MAY need to reduce your powder charge due to the bullet being 15 gr. more weight then normal 230 gr. 45 acp bullets if you are shooting them from a 1911.
I have a Ruger Vaquero in 45 acp that I load 250gr. cast round nose flat point bullets for it and they work great and shoot to point of aim in that fixed sighted revolver.215315

Ramguy
02-27-2018, 03:40 PM
Thanks guys, I am shooting mostly out of a 1911 Michiguns .45, and some out of a S&W Mod 25 Revolver. I did try the load of 5 grains out of my Glock first, and it shot pretty mild. Much more so than I thought it would. I will try them on pins soon to see what kind of action I get out of my peripheral hits. In response to you Tom, I think they came from a guy who loaded some 45-70 stuff, but I do know he also loaded a lot of 45LC rounds. I am afraid of the Keith type bullet hitting the slide stop on my 1911's. It did not seem to have any bearing on the Glock.

Ramguy
02-27-2018, 03:46 PM
Knifemaker, looks like your Vaquero would be a nice setup for running around checking fence on the ranch. Never know when a short barreled .45 will come in handy for those wily coyotes! Thanks for the heads up, I have a Uberti that looks like a clone to your .45 and mine is also in ACP!

Plate plinker
02-27-2018, 04:00 PM
Let’s see if those are the right pictures. My books only had jacketed stuff.

Not sure why the photos rotated.

fredj338
02-27-2018, 04:16 PM
I've loaded 250gr LSWCHP in 45acp cases just to see if they would function & mine do but every gun is diff. I don't use BE, so can't comment on the load, but the old Speer #11 has data for 250gr bullets.

opos
02-27-2018, 04:48 PM
I load Missouri Bullet Co "cowboy #4" (lead round nose flat point..200 grain...high tech coated...12 hardness) in both my CZ 97 45 acp and also in my Ruger Blackhawk 45 Colt/45acp convertible ....I use W231 for both...and I love it...keeps everything simple...accurate...no leading...reasonable recoil and just easy when keeping inventory...Not giving the grains..it's in the books and many folks use the same loading.

Ramguy
02-27-2018, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I tried them in my Michigun, and it didn't like them at all. Locked the slide back and the bullet pushed into the front of the magazine and failed to feed. I may just save them for the 8-Pin revolver evvent up at The Pin Shoot in Michigan this summer. They seemed to take the pins off with authority! And the recoil was actually pleasant.

knifemaker
02-27-2018, 07:07 PM
Ramguy, that Vaquero is my woods carry gun as I live in a rural mountain area. My urban concealed carry is a Colt defender in 45acp or a Springfield Armory EMP in 9mm.

Ramguy
02-27-2018, 07:41 PM
Knifemaker, any of those would certainly do the job. It matters not what one carries as long as one is proficient with it. I had a friend that carried a High Standard .22 mag derringer when he jogged. Doesn't sound like a lot but it saved his life. Didn't do the perp much good. Never aimed it, just put two into the attacker through his jogging outfit.....