PDA

View Full Version : What dies Dignified Death Mean to You?

Thundarstick
02-26-2018, 10:28 AM
I see this term thrown around a lot, just what is your idea of "Dignified Death"?

Is it having a stroke or coronary event and never waking again? Dying in one's sleep, or living so long your body just rots away until your soul can't stand to reside there anymore?

It's it just a term we throw out to make us feel better about or own mortality?

Der Gebirgsjager
02-26-2018, 11:28 AM
Wow! What a question. Bet this thread is good for many replies and much debate. I've witnessed death and thought about death, but can't say that I've ever sought to define "Dignified Death".

I think I'll say that Dignified Death is a death on one's own terms. I'm not for "Physician Assisted Suicide", but I can see that a dignified death is what the participants seek, to pass away before the last painful, screaming termination of an illness that makes one a horror to themselves and others.

I'll have to think about it some more, and will read the posts of others with interest.

Hannibal
02-26-2018, 11:34 AM
In my opinion, it is to leave this life before the effects of age and disease have left me incapable of using the bathroom, bathing, eating and other basic functions without assistance.

And my worst fear is that my mental state might deteriorate to a point that I am unaware of the reduction in my physical and mental health rendering me no longer 'self aware'.

I consider such a condition to be 'undignified ', indeed.

buckwheatpaul
02-26-2018, 11:34 AM
To a great extent it is what the person defines it at.....to me if you are firmly grounded in Christ then when you die you simply transition into the after life. If you lay down your life for the protection of others then your death is dignified no matter how horrific it is. To the one taking care of a terminal spouse, child, family member or friend so that they can pass without worry then that is dignified.....this question is like chewing on jerky....the more you choose the bigger it gets....so strap in and put your trays in an upright position and prepare for the answers which I for one am looking for....thanks Thundarstick for this post!

OS OK
02-26-2018, 11:40 AM
My wife is an old salt in the Nursing industry and she tells me stories about death all the time...we have our own unique definitions about 'dignity & death', so much so that we have an agreement between us that we will enforce a 'DNR' , 'do not resuscitate' order in the event that one of us is injured to the point where there will be no 'value in life' after an accident or severe heart attack or aneurism that would leave one of us in a 'vegetable' state. Neither of us believe in being kept alive and at the same time kept prisoner in a non functional body...to us, that's without dignity. In that condition you have to be fed, someone has to bathe you etc, etc...you even have to be repositioned in bed all the time to prevent bed sores...again, there's no dignity in that either.
Who benefits from keeping people alive with the medical industries high tec.?.selfish people who drain the life's work resources of the patient and only after those and the insurance proceeds run out will they change their decisions and relatives who just can't let go of this person & say goodbye.
Death is just part of the living process, everybody has to deal with it at one time in life so...as far as I'm concerned the 'dignified' part is to be defined by each individual, not Doctors and Relatives or some Jurisdiction or Authority.
It's my life and I'll live it the way 'I' see fit & for the bleeding hearts...no I don't believe in suicide, sometimes a person has to learn to deal with handicaps, sometimes severe & that too is part of this short term thing we do on Earth we call life.

owejia
02-26-2018, 11:55 AM
There is no dignity in dying, just something some one, came up with to try and make us feel better about our mortality. Life is hard , then you die. I believe there is more to life than just this earthly existence. I also believe when it is your day to die you will die, be it from old age ,disease, accident or even suicide. Give thanks to our Lord for every day you are alive and are happy, after all happiness is a state of mind. Not everyone will go to Heaven.

Omega
02-26-2018, 12:04 PM
My definition of a Dignified Death is going out on your own terms.

JBinMN
02-26-2018, 12:05 PM
In my opinion, it is to leave this life before the effects of age and disease have left me incapable of using the bathroom, bathing, eating and other basic functions without assistance.

And my worst fear is that my mental state might deteriorate to a point that I am unaware of the reduction in my physical and mental health rendering me no longer 'self aware'.

I consider such a condition to be 'undignified ', indeed.

If I were to try to come up with a definition, I don't think I could do any better than what Hannibal just posted. And most likely, it wouldn't be close coming from me, so I will just say, "Ditto".

dverna
02-26-2018, 12:57 PM
It may be more important to live a dignified life.

Thundarstick
02-26-2018, 02:04 PM
"It may be more important to live a dignified life."

Of this I'm sure!

opos
02-26-2018, 03:04 PM
I'm much closer to the end than I am to the beginning...so the comments about death get my attention...been losing friends fairly regularly these days so give things some thought...I mentioned on another board about sitting in a restaurant some weeks ago and overheard some real snowflakes solving the world's problems over their spinach quiches and fruit plates. One said to the other that suicide was just becoming too much of a problem and the gubberment needed to step in and do something to reduce the number of suicides....an there you have the libtard solution for everything...make it the gubberment's responsiblity.

Dying is something I get to experience at the time my life comes to an end....and one man's dignity is another's cowardice. If someone calls another a coward for taking their own life it might be that the person that chooses to move on is trying to save his family and loved ones the agony of watching a slow and horrible death...My Cousin just died a few weeks ago....he was suffering in terrible ways..his family was supporting and loving him but also being torn apart by the agony and eventual ending...Had he chosen to take his life I'd respect his choice and honor the dignaty he showed in being unselfish....others will disagree and others will bring religion into the picture...When I go...I'll go when it's time.

salpal48
02-26-2018, 03:16 PM
A dignified death is the same as a dignified life. You life has be Predestine . so your death should be. As most are in control of your life You alone should control your death. Not people, hospitals. or other wise

white eagle
02-26-2018, 03:33 PM
ironic as it is my mother in law has stage 4 cancer
she tried chemo but got so very ill from it she decided against it
now before hand the oncology doctors were so caring and concerned but when she decided to stop chemo they totally washed their hands of caring for her so she goes back to her regular doc but he says oh no she has to go to hospice and they washed their hands of her care as well
seems to me dignified has to be on your own terms and not under the supposed care of today's medical system

Rufus Krile
02-26-2018, 03:37 PM
I want to go quietly in my sleep like my father... not screaming and yelling like his passengers.

Thundarstick
02-26-2018, 03:39 PM
Hospice is part of today's medical system?

500Linebaughbuck
02-26-2018, 03:46 PM
https://history.army.mil/moh/index.html

The Congressional Medal of Honor Society of the United States of America is perhaps the "most exclusive organization" in our country...it is certainly one of the most unique. Its small membership includes men of all races, social classes and economic levels. They range in stature from 5'2" to 6'7", in age from 27 to 96, and they live in all areas of our Country. No amount of money, power or influence can buy one's rite of passage to this exclusive circle, and unlike almost any other organization, this group's members hope that there will be no more inductees. Beyond this attitude towards recruitment, about all they have in common is a passionate love for the United States of America and the distinct honor of wearing our Nation's highest award for military valor, the Medal of Honor.

WHY A MEDAL OF HONOR SOCIETY?
Just as the Medal of Honor itself has grown and developed since 1862, so too has the society that represents the men who wear it. It is doubtful that in 1862 anyone thought that the newly created award would achieve the prominence that it did. By the end of the Civil War only 680 of the total 1523 Medals of Honor ultimately awarded for the conflict, had actually been presented. In the 35 years following the Civil War another 105 were awarded for Civil War actions as well as almost 500 for other actions including the Indian Campaigns and the Korean action of 1871. In the last decade of the century aging Civil War veterans began to seek recognition of their prior service and heroism in requesting awards of the Medal. (From 1890-1900 a total of 683 were awarded....more than were awarded during the war itself.) The Grand Army of the Republic had also designed and begun presenting awards of its own (some of which looked very similar in design) to military veterans, and confusion arose as to who was truly a Medal of Honor recipient. Added to that were the imposters...sorry individuals who passed themselves off as war heroes to feed their own egos. Thus it was that on August 14, 1890 the Medal of Honor Legion was formed by the true recipients themselves in order to protect the integrity of the Medal. A large purpose of this early forerunner of today's Medal of Honor Society was legislative...lobbying for necessary changes to protect the integrity of the Medal of Honor.

The efforts of the Medal of Honor Legion led to many changes including the review of 1917 and establishment of the Pyramid of Honor providing awards other than the Medal of Honor for distinguished actions that did not merit the Medal of Honor. Accordingly, on April 27, 1916 the United States Congress directed that a Medal of Honor Roll be established listing the names of any veteran over age 65 who had served in any war and received the Medal of Honor. This was to be maintained by the War Department for the Army and by the Navy Department for sailors and Marines, primarily for the express purpose of validating war veterans' applications for the special $10 per month pension paid to Medal of Honor recipients over age 65.

By 1940 the number of living Medal of Honor recipients had dropped to 279, most of them older veterans. The last Civil War recipient had died just two years earlier. World War II focused new attention upon Medal of Honor heroes, many of them coming home to active roles as "celebrities" promoting war bond drives. The impact of World War II on the Medal of Honor was perhaps as dramatic as the changes of 1917:

1) Propelling the Medal to increased prominence and recognition in American Society,

2) Providing the Nation with a group of new young war heroes. Though more than half the men who received Medals of Honor during World War II died in their moment of valor, 198 living heroes were added to the Medal of Honor Roll.

This new prestige attached to the Medal along with the fresh group of war heroes, many of whom were the subject of books and movies, led to the creation in 1946 of the Medal of Honor Society. Less political than its predecessor, the organization became more concerned with perpetuating the ideals embodied in the Medal...promoting patriotism and fostering a love of Country in the aftermath of World War II.

On August 14, 1958 President Dwight Eisenhower signed legislation sent to him by Congress chartering the Congressional Medal of honor Society. The purposes of the organization were clearly spelled out in its charter (which can be found in Title 36 U.S.C., Chapter 33). They included:

Creation of a bond of brotherhood and comradeship among all living recipients of the Medal of Honor.

Maintaining the memory and respect for those who had died receiving the Medal of Honor, as well as those living recipients who had since died.

Protection and preservation of the dignity and honor of the Medal of Honor at all times and on all occasions.

Protecting the name of the Medal of Honor as well as individual Medal of Honor recipients from exploitation.

Providing assistance and aid to needy Medal of Honor recipients, their spouses or widows, and their children.

Promoting patriotism and allegiance to the Government and Constitution of the United States.

To serve the United States in peace or war.

To promote and perpetuate the principles upon which our nation is founded.

To foster patriotism and inspire and stimulate our youth to become worthy citizens of our country.

The Korean War (1950-53) had done little to increase the number of living Medal recipients, of 145 Medal of Honor actions only 38 men survived to join the exclusive CMOH Society. Meanwhile (in 1953) the last hero of the Indian Campaigns died followed by many of the other older heroes of wars past. By the time Roger Donlon earned the first Medal of Honor of the Vietnam War in 1964 the numbers in the Society had dropped to less than 270 living heroes. The Vietnam War pushed the numbers back over the 300 mark and brought with it some new challenges for the Society.

Imagine first of all what it must be like to take a boy fresh out of high school, put him in uniform and send him off to war to witness unspeakable violence and death in one moment, then clean him up and make him the honored guest at the White House where the President himself presents him our Nation's highest honor. Compound the "culture shock" by returning that young hero to a society that really didn't appreciate his actions and even opposed the war he had served in, and you've got the makings for some serious problems. Thus the Vietnam War presented the older members of the Society with a new mission...mentoring, counseling and becoming "big brothers" to a new group of heroes. It was a needed service for the young heroes and generated a further bond among the men of this select group. As they became more and more personally involved in the lives of each other they began to meet each year for special reunions. It was during these reunions they began to also recognize their own heroes, presenting their newly created (1968) National Patriots Award to the likes of Bob Hope, Jimmy Stewart, and others.

Today the number of living Medal of Honor recipients is at its lowest point in history... only 77 living recipients as of September 21, 2016. Thus has passed to the Medal of Honor Society a new challenge, struggling to maintain a heritage that is quickly vanishing. Members of the Society now meet for an annual reunion and attempt as well to have smaller get-togethers from time to time. While each of these men is quick to point out that, since the Medal can only be received for war-time heroism, they hope that there will be no new members of the Society; we as Americans are rapidly losing some of our greatest heroes and role models. Thanks to the Medal of Honor Society however, their memory will never be lost to future generations.

i think this qualifies.......

Der Gebirgsjager
02-26-2018, 05:26 PM
Some good stuff and deep thinkers here. I've read it all.....

I'm thinking that "death with dignity" and a "dignified death" may not necessarily be the same thing.

To some death may come suddenly and violently. To others with drawn out unpleasantness and pain. Still others may just go to sleep with their family gathered around them. Some, satisfied with their accomplishments, while others will be in dread of what may come.

I'm kind of put in mind of the movie "Meet Joe Black". Brad Pitt (Joe Black, is Death) and Anthony Hopkins are walking away from the party over the bridge. Hopkins' date with death has come and he asks, "Should I be afraid?" Death replied, "Not a man like you."

Let's explore this some more.......

RugerFanOH
02-26-2018, 07:40 PM
Be careful about posting the "poem" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUJNi5wDsOY

starmac
02-26-2018, 11:53 PM
"It may be more important to live a dignified life."

Of this I'm sure!
I had an uncle get killed in an accident, when I was around 13, dad told me after the funeral, if you live your life right, you will never be afraid to die.
At some point he also told me he hoped he had a heart attack or something that was quick when it was his time, I have always thought he got his wish, as he lived his life as good as a man could and went way before his time, but it was quick. I am thinking it was about as dignified as it gets, from start to finish.

osteodoc08
02-28-2018, 12:53 PM
As someone in health care, this is a difficult and sometimes (oftentimes) a difficult subject.

For me personally, I’ve seen the strong become weak and the brilliant become demented. I’ve seen the effects of incapacity lead to maggot infested wounds rendering the body septic with infection. I’ve seen the clinically dead be revived to have the body linger on at a cost of what? I’ve also seen miracles that cannot be explained by any science that man has to offer, infants take their first breath and the sick take their last. I’ve seen infants drown from heart failure and have removed dead and rotting stillborn babies from illegal immigrants wombs who attempted to seek medical care outside their country because their baby hadn’t moved in weeks.

I’m not sure what a dignified death means. I don’t know what it
Means to provide medical care for a dignified death. Perhaps the American Indians and other cultures had it right by providing for the elderly in a swift and quick manner.......If I had a terminal patient and they expressed wishes to take a little too much medication to transition without pain or suffering, is that a dignified death? I don’t know. Would my conscious allow that, probably, but I don’t know.

I provided my Lab with what I feel was a dignified death after her huge stroke left her incapacitated. She had a nice last bath and meal and I provided for her with tears streaming and buried her on the hill where the sunrises and sun sets.

A very interesting topic.

PerpetualStudent
02-28-2018, 02:33 PM
My Dad is fond of saying he wants to retire somewhere far enough away from town that the Ambulance can't make it in time. I think there's some wisdom in that.

I don't want to be a drain on my family. And I'd rather my children have an inheritance then spend it all for 2 more miserable weeks. But I say that now, very far from the maw of death. When I can feel the reaper gaining on me, will I still believe this?

reivertom
02-28-2018, 05:17 PM
Being shot by a jealous ex-boyfriend on my 103rd birthday. :^)

MT Gianni
03-01-2018, 01:44 PM
Like the old Sioux, have the wherewith all to walk away from the tepee during a heavy snow storm and let your remains be found in the spring.