PDA

View Full Version : New Guns

StarMetal
11-23-2005, 05:35 PM
Ruger brought out the the 44 mag blackhawk in the 50th classic. This is the original flattop with flutted cylinder and regular trigger guard.

Savage brought out a Model 114 called the American Classic with high polish blue job and nice walnut stock.

Joe

Hairtrigger
11-23-2005, 06:30 PM
I just received my new SHOOTING TIMES. The magazine looks like a Hornady and Ruger catalog with a Savage article thrown in. This is a subscription I will let expire

26Charlie
11-23-2005, 09:19 PM
I bought one when they were first out in 1959; it was the first handgun I owned. I was a teenager too young to buy over the counter - but Klein's in Chicago shipped it to General Delivery in the town across the river, mail order. Shot only cast bullets in it ever since, and had it back to the factory twice. First was to get the updated lockwork so as to carry six rounds in it; second time I was shooting some 300 gr. heavy bullets and the barrel stud that holds the ejector rod housing broke off. That was maybe four years ago. They were evidently offended at it's appearance with worn blue and major scratches and gouges in the metal, because not only did they fix the stud but they polished and reblued it gratis. I have two basic loads for it - the Lyman Keith 250 gr. 429421 with 22.5 gr. of H110 giving about 1350 f/s, and the Lyman 429664 (not too sure about that number?) 250 gr. RNFP with 10 gr. 800-X giving about 1050 f/s. Wouldn't part with the gun - but of course I won't part with any gun that shoots well.

slughammer
11-23-2005, 10:44 PM
I bought one when they were first out in 1959;......

They were evidently offended at it's appearance with worn blue and major scratches and gouges in the metal, because not only did they fix the stud but they polished and reblued it gratis.

Gosh, I hope they asked permission first.

26Charlie
11-24-2005, 11:58 PM
Slughammer - no, they didn't ask, but I didn't get upset. I never considered it a collector's gun, and they did a good job polishing out some really ugly scratches. So when I pass it on to someone else, it will be a flattop 44 with a factory reblue job. C'est la vie.