PDA

View Full Version : I thought I'd learned this lesson YEARS ago....

BruceB
11-23-2005, 04:40 PM
Hoo, boy....off to the range with my wonderful new M1A, and the very first cast-boolit rounds for it!

Yep, yesterday I figgered it wuz time, that enough Matchkings had gone down the tube to get rid of any "wire edges," etc....'bout 400 rounds to date.

Soooo....I get there, put up the target board, set up Der 'wagen in proper alignment, install the chronograph boom, and fire 14 rounds of Matchkings from fifty yards. DEAD on the mark, all rounds in a single raggedy hole. Now with a nice warm barrel to help with the copper-removal, I REALLY CLEANED that sucker, so it's all bright and sparkly inside. Then I pushed a patch through with a bit of Felix lube rubbed into the cloth, and put the rifle on the benchrest. Git me all snugged-down nicely behind the butt, grab an empty magazine, and reach for the cast-boolit loads.....

WHICH ARE ON THE %^&$#(*@#$ BENCH AT HOME, EIGHT MILES AWAY.

AAAaaaarrrrggghhh!

Getting home, I put the missing rounds IN THE VAN, and that's where they are right now. I'm gonna go shoot them, before they have a chance to escape. Dangitallanyways...

KCSO
11-23-2005, 04:59 PM
Thats why I have to work 16 hours a day. 8 hours actually working and 8 looking for the tool I just set down. What really makes me mad is that I CAN remember what alloy I cast a minnie bullet from in 1968 and CAN'T remember where I put the ones I cast yesterday.

NVcurmudgeon
11-23-2005, 05:02 PM
Don't feel bad, Bruce. My friend Bill Nelson, who taught me how to hunt deer,
as well as many other important things, and I went hunting once. Bill got out of the truck and asked, "Got any bullets?" At the age of sixty plus, he had forgotten ammo, desipite owning a sporting goods store! Luckily we were both shooting .308s, so I gave him half of my box. It happens to the best.

StarMetal
11-23-2005, 05:10 PM
Bruce,

That's nothing, listen to this one. My best friend, his dad, and I went deer hunting up in the mtns of PA. Got up early, got our gear and made the long trek to our spots. My friend's dad and I were the last to pair off and along our own ways we went. Not more then a few minutes here comes his dad back. I said what's the matter. He shows me the action of his Model 700 30-06 Remington and there's no bolt in it. My best friend always removes the bolts when they are in a hard gun case and his dad never even looked. Damn if he didn't go back and get it and later on shoot a buck too.

Joe

grumble
11-23-2005, 05:23 PM
When my kids were little, they called it "Old Timer's Disease."

I am a victim of same, too. <GGG>

9.3X62AL
11-25-2005, 03:14 PM
More than once, I have either failed to bring ammo for a given rifle--or brought the incorrect caliber for that given rifle on range days. This is usually brought on by one of the Rotten Daughters yammering about car issues--most of which are imaginary. It pays great dividends to load the stuff all together the night before--while kids are doing homework or out socializing.

Frank46
11-26-2005, 05:00 AM
Deputy Al, I have a small instrument case that was thrown out at work. The night before I got out to play everything including ammo is tucked into the case. But I too have fallen victim to the missing ammo thing. I had loaded the case with stuff for the rifles but forgot ammo for the pistols.No biggie but got some good natured ribbing from my friends. Stuff happens. Frank

Shepherd2
11-26-2005, 02:29 PM
I couple years ago I drove 45 miles to an IDPA. Got there and put on my gear and reached for the box of 1911 mags in my range bag. I'd left them home on the bench. Luckily some friends took pity on me and loaned me 3 mags to get me thru the match. Now I have a check list above my bench.

I've done all the other stuff too. Forgot the ammo, wrong ammo, wrong gun etc. It's not Old Timers Disease. I've been doing this all my life.

Lee W
11-26-2005, 03:11 PM
I had two cases exactly the same, one with small tools and one with assorted ammo. One nice day I go to the range, set the guns on the bench and opened up the "ammo" case full of small tools.
It was a good day for a drive.