PDA

View Full Version : Sharp leade in chamber?

jamesp81
02-21-2018, 08:04 AM
My 1911's chamber has a sharp transition from the chamber to the freebore then rifling. It's like a 90 degree edge. Could this be responsible for some of my leading issues I've been having? If so, what can be done?

Wayne Smith
02-21-2018, 08:50 AM
Send it to Dougguy! Seriously, this is his magic. He will ream that leade - did that and the muzzles for both of my 1911's. Not only that but, after he's done, it will chamber cast boolits easily as well.

JSnover
02-21-2018, 09:18 AM
I'd do a chamber cast or a pound cast, make sure you know what you're seeing.

GhostHawk
02-21-2018, 09:34 AM
I had this exactly on my Mosin Nagant. Just at the point where the brass ended was a square edge, sharp at the end of the neck. If the nose of the bullet was a smidge too big it shaved a chunk of lead while it was being inserted. Caused chambering issues for most bullets large enough to fill the grooves.

A hardwood dowel, a saw slot cut in the end, a little piece of 0000 steel wool and chucked the dowel in my drill. 5 minutes later there is a smooth curved radius where there was a sharp corner.

No more chambering issues, no more leading. No little lead stalactites hanging off that corner.

For a 1911 I would have a pro do it. For my 150$ Mosin it was more fun to see if I could fix it myself.

jcren
02-21-2018, 09:35 AM
Contact Doug! His basic accuracy package for semi autos (polish, throat and crown) is a bargain and should be figured into the purchase price of any cast shooter. He can also customs throat it for specialty loads. Wanna shoot brand X 260 grain bullets at X oal for bowling pin shoots? Send him some dummy loads and he can make it happen!

Larry Gibson
02-21-2018, 05:47 PM
Your 45 ACP headspaces on that edge, it's supposed to be that way. That's why you should size and use cast bullets not larger than the diameter of the throat. The oal should be adjusted so the ogive or the front drive band of the cast bullet centers the bullet in the throat on chambering.