PDA

View Full Version : Heat treating boolits

kirb
08-31-2008, 09:21 PM
I would like to try heat treating some boolits 30 cal and 7mm I have the oven installed to day understand the heating and the cooling. But don't know the best pan to put the boolits in to heat. Do you heat then laying down so they don't tip and damage the boolit? I have read of people do several ways but would like to know the best way.

Thanks
Kirb

shooter93
08-31-2008, 09:42 PM
I use either a pie pan drilled full of holes...smaller than the smallest bullet you wil be heat treating. They come in various sizes. I also use the ground holder from a coffee percolater with the holes enlarged for small batches Standing a few hundred bullets against each other starting at the outer edges of the pie pan has given me no trouble with thm upsetting before they are under water. Some fall over then but they aren't damaged. I don't have to move but one step from my oven to the sink so it's done quickly.

TedH
08-31-2008, 09:58 PM
Get yourself some fine mesh wire sheet. I made this basket with some that has about 1/8" holes. Lay the bullets flat and stick it in the oven. When they are up to temperature, grab the loop at the top with a pair of pliers and set the whole thing in the water bucket.

kirb
08-31-2008, 10:51 PM
Thanks guys I will give both of your methods a try.

Kirb