PDA

View Full Version : What to expect

vrh
02-20-2018, 01:44 PM
I just got thru casting some more 30-06 bullets. I weighed and separated them into 3 groups by weight. They are 170 grains, 171 grains and 173 grains.
I load with Winchester cases and primers and the powder load is same. Sighting in with the 171grain bullet, I get a group approx.: 2 inches in diam at 100 yds. What can I expect if I load the lighter and heavier bullets with same cases and powder? Drop or rise of bullet ? Group sizes getting larger or smaller?
Just thought I would throw this out here, before loading up the lighter and heavier bullets. Heading to the range with the rifle later.

stubshaft
02-20-2018, 04:01 PM
Probably pretty much the same POI and group size. A 3 gr. difference in boolit weight does not have as much variance as a 3gr. difference in powder weight.

vrh
02-20-2018, 06:39 PM
My mistake Stubshaft. It should read 172 grains. My thick fingers are the evil ones.

Wayne Smith
02-20-2018, 09:34 PM
Still not gonna make all that difference unless you shoot at 1000yds. At 100 I doubt not that they will all go in a group that your rifle will shoot - if you mix them up. In other words, your rifle will make the difference, not the boolit.

beagle
02-20-2018, 10:59 PM
You'll probably not notice the difference at 100 yards. I spent one winter's (almost) worth of nights weighing .22 cast on e scales and separating into .1 grain groups (didn't have much to do that winter). I was left with a bunch of "heavies" and "lighties" at both ends of the spectrum which varied as much as .5 grains. Says I, I'll load them for sighting shots and fouling shots. The groups produced and the POI were pretty close to my "match grade" .1 grain lots. The whole exercise was a waste of time but I had to try it./beagle

Shuz
02-21-2018, 11:44 AM
Since I have an RCBS digital scale, I find it very easy to weigh boolits used for match rifle shooting. The ONLY reason I weigh them tho, is to remove those that are a couple of grains light, prolly due to an unseen internal void. To use your boolit weight example, I would shoot anything that weighed 170 to 172g and save the <170g for foulers.