PDA

View Full Version : Happy with casting speed

AzShooter
08-31-2008, 06:39 PM
I was thinking about getting a Magnum Caster so that I could increase my production rate but after searching the forum many members said they can cast faster with multiple cavity moulds.

I recently bought a 6 cavity from Ranch Dog for their 311-165 bullet. I asked for it to cast .314 and it does exactly that.

Today I finally got around to seeing how fast I could cast at a leasurely pace. I fill the moulds from bottom to top at an angle so that lead doesn't overflow into each other cavity. Then when I'm done I wait for the lead to crystalize which takes about 8 seconds.

Pull the sprue plate bar apart and drop to sprue into a box and the 6 bullets into a bucket of water.

I'm casting at 650 degrees with wheel weights and Lino Type at about a 10 - 1 mix.

I ran through most of the 20 lb Waage pot in 20 minutes. Casted up just over 300 bullets including the culls. So I figure after refilling the pot and getting it back up to temp I could probably do 700 bullets an hour not rushing.

I know the Magnum Caster should give me better bullets in the long run but I think I'll stick with my Lee gang mould for now. I may end up buying a bigger pot.

I like the Waage because it keeps the temperature within 5 degrees throughout the casting period.

Bass Ackward
08-31-2008, 07:38 PM
I find that when I need bullets, I simply can't cast fast enough to avoid it becoming a frustration. This occurs with any new mold I get my hands on if I don't time it right. I would even imagine that I would be kicking a machine setup for being too slow. The watched pot never boils syndrome.

After the first winter I will build stock. Speed just isn't a concern then. Easier on the molds too. Beats wasting time on reruns or feeling sorry for myself that it's cold outside. :grin:

LAH
08-31-2008, 07:50 PM
700 per hour is a do-able rate for sure......Creeker

garandsrus
09-01-2008, 12:44 AM
AzShooter,

I drop the sprues right back into the pot as soon as they are cut. It doesn't change the alloy temp and allows you to cast many more between pot fill up's. I learned the trick from Bullshop.

John

deltaenterprizes
09-01-2008, 11:21 AM
If you use 2 molds filling one as the other one cools your production rate improves and the molds do not over heat!

AzShooter
09-01-2008, 11:48 AM
Garandos. That's what I use to do and a friend talked me into letting the sprues drop in a box. I think you are right and I'll go back to letting them drop into the pot. I don't think it changes the temperature that much.

Two molds may be my next step after buying a 40 lb pot.

LAH
09-03-2008, 06:42 AM
Two molds may be my next step after buying a 40 lb pot.

40 pound pot????????? Now you're talking BOOLITS............Creeker

runfiverun
09-03-2008, 11:00 AM
i can run a 2 cav mold as fast by hand as a master caster goes.
but i don't get near as tired. and my kids can run a master caster.