PDA

View Full Version : Lead-daubers, Hornady's equivalent of mud-baubers using lead instead

jski
02-19-2018, 01:58 AM
Preface: I'm using a S&W .45 Colt Mountain Gun

I just got back from the range where I shot 100 rounds of 255 gr, gas-checked, hard cast bullets, pushed by 7 gr. of True Blue powder. No problems whatsoever.

I then shot 30 rounds of Hornady's 255 gr., swaged, "Cowboy" bullets pushed by 6 gr. of True Blue. The forcing cone now looks like mud-daubers set up shop using lead.

Never again Hornady.

jski
02-19-2018, 02:01 AM
Trying to remedy this problem using Hoppes Elite Copper & Lead cleaner.

tsubaki
02-19-2018, 08:06 AM
6.0gr is really really low for a 255gr cast. Most data suggests starting out at 7.2gr.
Hornady's 255gr FP (#12458) is listed as .454" diameter. They should have been good in most barrels unless the cylinder is really tight.
What did you do for a crimp?

Moleman-
02-19-2018, 08:34 AM
That's weird. I shot many thousands of the Hornady swaged bullets out of 44mag and 45acp guns before getting into casting. Never had an issue with leading.

HangFireW8
02-19-2018, 09:46 AM
I then shot 30 rounds of Hornady's 255 gr., swaged, "Cowboy" bullets pushed by 6 gr. of True Blue. The forcing cone now looks like mud-daubers set up shop using lead.

Never again Hornady.

In my early days of experimenting with factory lead bullets, I found I could reduce revolver leading by a.) coating in Lee Liquid Alox (even though it had its own hard lube) and b.) either reducing or upping the load. Now that I am a caster, I know why b.) works. Also b.) May involve changing your powder.

Try your fingernail and compare the hardness of the hardcast versus the Cowboy.

Trying to remedy this problem using Hoppes Elite Copper & Lead cleaner.
Stop fiddling around, get copper Chore Boy, wrap it around a bronze bore brush, and get the lead out.

jski
02-19-2018, 10:12 AM
I was using Starline's new .45 Cowboy Special brass. So I called Starline, talked their ballistician, and he suggested sticking to either .45 ACP or .45 ACP+ reloading data.

BTW, looked up "Chore Boy" and only found a pot-scrubber?

Mytmousemalibu
02-19-2018, 10:46 AM
I don't care for the dry, powdery "lube" used on most factory knurled type lead boolits. They probably use it because its cheap and easy to apply for the manufacturers but its a poor lube in my experience.

Nueces
02-19-2018, 12:00 PM
I was using Starline's new .45 Cowboy Special brass. So I called Starline, talked their ballistician, and he suggested sticking to either .45 ACP or .45 ACP+ reloading data.

BTW, looked up "Chore Boy" and only found a pot-scrubber?

Yup, Chore Boy is a pot scrubber bade of woven copper strands with sharp edges. Beware the copper coated steel versions sometimes encountered.

I unwind and flatten out the Chore Boy, then cut off a piece and wrap it firmly around a brass bore brush. Some will unravel a long strand and wrap that. The sharp copper edges cut all manner of crud out of a bore without damage, including leading. It works better after a soak with your solvent. I use and recommend Ed's Red.

Walter Laich
02-19-2018, 06:39 PM
Yup, Chore Boy is a pot scrubber bade of woven copper strands with sharp edges. Beware the copper coated steel versions sometimes encountered.

I unwind and flatten out the Chore Boy, then cut off a piece and wrap it firmly around a brass bore brush. Some will unravel a long strand and wrap that. The sharp copper edges cut all manner of crud out of a bore without damage, including leading. It works better after a soak with your solvent. I use and recommend Ed's Red.

+1 on this method

finding the Chore Boy is difficult these days as I understand the druggies use it to hold their mary jane in a pipe--or something to that effect

Nueces
02-19-2018, 07:50 PM
I bought a box of Chore Boy online, because I could not find it reliably at my store. Stuff goes fast if you shoot a lot.

By 'box', I mean a bunch of units.

jimb16
02-19-2018, 07:59 PM
I just go to the paint store and get bronze wool. Wrap that around a wet patch and it will do the same thing. The lead comes off in chunks!

Nueces
02-19-2018, 09:06 PM
Bronze wool is less aggressive, but also effective. It's also the berries for removing light rust from blued surfaces, used gently and wet with gun oil/solvent, whatever.

fecmech
02-20-2018, 11:56 AM
The problem with Hornady's bullets is not the lube or hardness but the size! I ran into the same thing with their .38 SWC's a while back. When I loaded them they fell halfway into the case when I place the bullet on the belled case. The .38's were sized .354-.355. I sent them back to Hornady and they replaced them with the same darn thing. I bumped them up in my Lyman lubrisizer with a .358 die. They worked fine after I did that. No more Hornady lead bullets for me.

Andy
02-23-2018, 11:03 AM
the shooter's choice lead remover solvent really seems to work well too, although the chore boy will definitely get out major leading more quickly

303Guy
02-24-2018, 12:56 AM
I use fine steel wool. Mostly I make loose balls of the stuff, push it into the chamber, oil it if the bore is not oiled, then push it through the bore. That's OK for light leading and great for just cleaning the bore. Takes out rust too, especially the fine rust.

Four-Sixty
02-24-2018, 06:26 PM
I run a Hornady lead ball (intended for black powder) down the barrel from the muzzle end and a leaded bore cleans up in a snap!