PDA

View Full Version : Boolits VS Bullets???

PhantomRider64
02-15-2018, 09:43 PM
I have spent some time looking around for the answer to the question,,,what is the difference between a boolit and a bullet?

I figure it is just a cute term but I just have to ask,,,:razz:

JBinMN
02-15-2018, 09:54 PM
Here is the way "I" see it...

"Bullets" are usually considered as factory manufactured.

"Boolits" are cast/"made" by individuals.

There may be some folks who consider "swaged" "boolits" as "bullets" due to how they are made, or their being "jacketed", but , IMO... they are not, as they are made by an "individual".

IMO, If it is a factory made projectile, it is a "bullet".

IMO, if it is made by anyone who is not a "factory", it is a "boolit".

Hope that helps & I am sure that someone else will come along and have a better "definition".

But, heck.. I tried.
;)

Hope that helps.
:)

GhostHawk
02-15-2018, 10:20 PM
Could be different for every person here. Let that sink in a second.

Myself, I use them pretty much interchangeably.

But if I had to put a definition on it.

All "boolits" that I posses, were made by me. Cast of lead, swaged, hammered, sized, whatever.

Bullets can be and often are bought and sold. They tend to be machine made, some are cast, some are jacketed, some are swaged.

That may be clumsy to define, but to me it is at the heart of the difference.

Bullets come from a machine or factory.
Boolits come from people using knowledge, tools, skill and experience to produce a similar if not perfectly identical product.

Does it matter if it is a Hornady bullet or a hand swaged labor of love using BTSniper dies?

Or <insert favorite brand name cast bullet here>
Or something that you poured into a mold, timed the sprue cooling perfectly, cracked the sprue and dropped brand new bright and shiny boolits into the world. Which you then sorted, lubricated and loaded.

Just my 2 cents plus a buck and a halfs worth of hot air.

Walter Laich
02-15-2018, 11:00 PM
I see them both as describing modified cylinders that exit a barrel at a high rate of speed

Minerat
02-15-2018, 11:28 PM
It is also a term that sets some of the folks at the Cast Bullet Association into a frenzy. :lovebooli

303Guy
02-15-2018, 11:52 PM
It's all in the name. The reason for the name choice was explained a few years back. Something to do with copyright or the name being taken already or something. Gunloads.com came into it I think.

bangerjim
02-16-2018, 12:33 AM
A boolit is a nomenclature devoloed on here to define a cast projectile ONLY.

That differentiates it from a bullet, which is what most lay people call a complete cartridge - consisting of a projectile loaded in a brass case with powder and primer and is fireable from a gun.

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-16-2018, 12:38 AM
I entered the title of this thread into "Google custom search"

This was the first result

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?40260-What-is-a-quot-Boolit-quot

Cowboy_Dan
02-16-2018, 04:12 AM
"Boolits = as God laid it into the soil, Grand Old Galena, The Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption. . . Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses."

The above is located one page back, near the top of the page.

Ballistics in Scotland
02-16-2018, 05:48 AM
I believe I can go to my grave without ever writing "boolit". I just can't make myself do it. But as long as it doesn't cause misunderstanding either way, it shouldn't cause resentment either way.

crackers
02-16-2018, 06:15 AM
A silly snob thing.

PhantomRider64
02-16-2018, 07:19 AM
Lots of good answers,,,it makes sence!

Thanks yall.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

Hickory
02-16-2018, 11:30 AM
No matter what you call them, boolits or bullets, they are not heads.
When ever I see or hear the term head I think of a toilet, or Bill Clinton.

vrh
02-16-2018, 11:36 AM
They both start with a B. Take your pick.

Jack Stanley
02-16-2018, 11:44 AM
I heard the term back in the eighties from a fella who was trying to be cute with the way he could mangle words . Like all the other that use a word for their own meaning , I leave them be , they seem to be happy and harmless .

Jack

Victor N TN
02-16-2018, 11:55 AM
I started casting for 45 and 38 back about 1977. I started making jacketed bullets for benchrest shooters in 2000. On this forum is the only place I've ever heard (seen) the term "boolit". Most big time shooters laugh when it's spelled out for them.

RogerDat
02-16-2018, 11:55 AM
I use them interchangeably except when the difference between boolit and bullet might help clarify a statement. You join the Secret Brotherhood of Galena you have to use the proper ceremonial words for some formal occasions :-)

But mostly I use bullet because the spell check putting a red line under boolit is annoying. And I'm too lazy to add it to dictionary. Sad really.

swheeler
02-16-2018, 12:07 PM
Ken started it and I don't mind one bit, but I usually type cast bullet.

mdi
02-16-2018, 01:31 PM
It is also a term that sets some of the folks at the Cast Bullet Association into a frenzy. :lovebooli

This used to be on the header of the forum, but I couldn't find it today; "Boolits = as God laid it into the soil, Grand Old Galena, The Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption. . . Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses". Jackets also described a "copper condoms"...

Sounds like a lot of fellers above aren't very familiar with the Castboolits forum, or The Brotherhood of the Silver Stream...

dondiego
02-16-2018, 01:31 PM
Boolits are cast from a lead based alloy.

slim1836
02-16-2018, 02:04 PM
So, if I manufacture my own weapons, would they be called a poostil and roofle? :bigsmyl2:

When on this site I refer to my cast projectiles as "Boolits" as it's what is most commonly called.

When in Rome....

Slim

Nueces
02-16-2018, 02:13 PM
I object mildly to the silliness, but also understand if there was a genuine reason for it's adoption. Still, if boolit refers only to the cast projectile, then should not the name of this forum be "Boolits" instead of "Cast Boolits"? :mrgreen:

Analysis provided by the Dept. of Redundancy Dept.

JBinMN
02-16-2018, 03:42 PM
Analysis provided by the Dept. of Redundancy Dept.

That there is funny right there...
LOL
;)

Biggin
02-16-2018, 06:29 PM
I only been doing this a short time but IMHO anyone who gets offended by the term boolits, needs to loosen up!!LOL!!

KenH
02-16-2018, 06:58 PM
Well I have learned something today from reading this thread, and the linked thread from 2008. I never got upset with the term "boolits" - not at all. Just figured it was somebody having fun with ebonics.

GhostHawk
02-16-2018, 10:29 PM
I agree Biggen. If that gets your undies in a bunch you got bigger troubles. Stop tugging and unwind.

gwpercle
02-16-2018, 10:38 PM
No matter what you call them, boolits or bullets, they are not heads.
When ever I see or hear the term head I think of a toilet, or Bill Clinton.
Definitely do not call them heads.
Navy water closet, yes. Bill Clinton...oh yeah !

When in Rome...talk like the Romans, no big deal.

gregtu
02-16-2018, 11:20 PM
My only problem with it is with searching with Google--I need to search using both terms!

mehavey
02-19-2018, 09:54 PM
The NSA knows what "bullet" is.
That is all....
:bigsmyl2:

dverna
02-19-2018, 10:12 PM
I believe I can go to my grave without ever writing "boolit". I just can't make myself do it. But as long as it doesn't cause misunderstanding either way, it shouldn't cause resentment either way.

I have to agree. Rednecks and wannabe rednecks can use boolit and have a sense of belonging. When manufacturers start selling boolit moulds, I will accept boolit as a word. A cast bullet is still a bullet. Calling it a boolit is a silly...but it hurts no one...so have at it.

Omega
02-19-2018, 10:14 PM
Well then, I guess we should also add "j-word" to this discussion.

RED333
02-19-2018, 10:15 PM
I now cast, swag, load and shoot my own home made "boolits"!!! I spell boolits now every time I type the word, spelled wrong or not.

maxreloader
02-19-2018, 10:37 PM
Why dont we ask the chick in the red cape riding the HUGE boolit off into the sunset?

lwknight
02-20-2018, 12:57 AM
It is just a colloquial thing for lead cast with love bullets. Either way most people don't really care that much even though some can get testy about it.

John Boy
02-20-2018, 01:09 AM
It is also a term that sets some of the folks at the Cast Bullet Association into a frenzy.
Don't blame them either. What sets me off is Remmie and Winnie. I'll be go to heck, can't find them in the Blue Book of Gun Values! :coffeecom

mdi
02-20-2018, 12:38 PM
Using the word "Boolits" is waaay less offensive than "pills" or "clips" for magazines or "bullet" for cartridge. If I'm corresponding with a bullet caster, I'll often use "boolits". If I'm dealing with a "condom" shooter, I'll usually say bullets when referring to my lovingly cast, sized and lubed babies...

Really, I can't see why anyone would condemn someone for using boolits. Kind arrogant ain't it?

PhantomRider64
02-20-2018, 02:13 PM
Thanks again for all the comments. I have found that groups of people will have slang or different words for common items,,,kr to describe a prosess,,,etc. I am the type that I do not like to use jargon that I do not know the meaning of.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

leeggen
02-21-2018, 01:34 AM
Ok my 2 cents.Many years ago there was a group of casters that got together and wanted to start web sight for all that cast their bullets themselves. Now this group could not decided what to name their sight and one of thewives piped up and said something to the sort as we need to be recognised differenrtly from those that reload bullets web sight so why don't we spell it "boolits" and so came the spelling. I believe Larry Gibson and R5R and a few others will back up this version. If you search enough you will find the thread supporting this.
CD

BAGTIC
02-21-2018, 02:11 AM
So what are the machine made cast ones. They are not jacketed so not 'bullets' but not hand made so not 'boolits'.

dverna
02-21-2018, 09:02 AM
So what are the machine made cast ones. They are not jacketed so not 'bullets' but not hand made so not 'boolits'.

Bullits isn’t taken yet.

mdi
02-21-2018, 11:55 AM
Machine cast bullets are fodder for those that haven't dedicated or committed themselves to the fine art if home casting boolits. Those living on the fringe of one of the world's best, most satisfying hobbys...