PDA

View Full Version : Gifted hobbyist wanted

Naphtali
02-15-2018, 01:03 PM
My Custom Rossi 92 lever action sporting rifle is back in my possession. And, yes, it is in "needs a whole bunch of work" condition. My heart is no longer invested in my perfectly conceived rifle. Now, I'll settle for getting it in decent working order. The first two things that need be done are finishing the rifle stock, and installing a tang sight.

Having been emotionally mauled by a recommended lever action gunsmith, I want to try a different method - if it's possible. I live in Missoula County, Montana. What I seek is a gifted hobbyist who can finish my rifle's stock. If that hobbyist can drill & tap my tang a second time, since the first time was a bizarre choice, even better. However, having the sight work down separately is not a big deal. If I had to identify a gifted hobbyist class, I think of people who complete muzzleloading gun kits - kits they assembly from Track of the Wolf, et al., or kits whose contents are parts complete and partially completed. The hobbyist(s) I seek would be in western Montana, preferably west of the Divide.

What I'm trying to do includes:
- Having acceptable work done at a reasonable cost.

- Having control over my possession of my rifle. The triggering action by my recommended lever action gunsmith was his refusal to return the rifle, then ceasing all communication with me. Being within reasonable driving distance allows us to get acquainted and keep in reasonable contact.

- Having lower expectations of finished rifle stock, I'll be content with what I would not have been content with when I first conceived my project.
Anyone who can, please furnish my contact information to the hobbyist, or PM me with the hobbyist's contact information.

country gent
02-15-2018, 02:42 PM
How much does the stock need? a 90 or 95% inletted finished stock may be easier than from a rough blank. Even the semi finished will need to be out of your control for some time, fitting, sanding scrapping, and then finishing. Depending on finish a coat may take a day or better to cure out. As to the drill and tap job while in itself not a big deal the existing holes are a bigger deal and will need to be plugged dressed down and blended to the tang. ten new holes drilled and tapped on location. then the tang and plugs refinished to match. Again a job and set up that may require the rifle out of your control for a little time.

40-82 hiker
02-15-2018, 03:02 PM
I do not mean this in any way out of line, but why would you trust your Rossi (even locally) to an admitted "hobbyist" before you would trust it to a well known gunsmith with recommendations from members of CB? Having been a professional welder for part of my working career, I have known hobbyist welders who thought WAY more of their welding skills than I did. :holysheep

My suggestion is to let a pro work on your Rossi (at least the drilling/fixing the tang and the trigger). Your problems CAN be made worse.

JMHO

Markopolo
02-15-2018, 03:12 PM
Maybe you can post a pic of the Stock as it sits now?

D Crockett
02-15-2018, 03:30 PM
I do not mean this in any way out of line, but why would you trust your Rossi (even locally) to an admitted "hobbyist" before you would trust it to a well known gunsmith with recommendations from members of CB? Having been a professional welder for part of my working career, I have known hobbyist welders who thought WAY more of their welding skills than I did. :holysheep

My suggestion is to let a pro work on your Rossi (at least the drilling/fixing the tang and the trigger). Your problems CAN be made worse.

JMHO 42-82 hiker has a very valid point as a friend of mine said to me once "you get what you pay for "don't let a hobbyist mess up a good gun take it to someone that can do the work right the first time D Crockett

waksupi
02-15-2018, 03:49 PM
I can finish the wood, but can't do any other work on the gun considering my ffl doesn't cover gunsmith work. Wood would need to be removed from the gun, as the barreled action can't be left on the premises, again due to ffl regs.

dverna
02-15-2018, 05:23 PM
Not all hobbyists are hacks, but many are. I had a guy in western MI go some CAS gun work for me and I was extremely pleased.

If you have an active CAS club in your area, talk to members there. They may know a local guy. They can show you his work as well

Good luck!

phonejack
02-15-2018, 05:58 PM
Here's what I did with mine and you can do it also. I learned that the factory stain is water based. I disassembled the rifle and removed the wood. There's YouTube videos on how to do this. I took a bucket of hot water, dipped a steel wool pad in the water and scrubbed the wood and removed the stain down to the bare wood. Then, I used a very fine wet-dry sandpaper to finish. After that dried I applied several coats of minwax stain and finished with 3 hand rubbed coated of Truoil. While that was going on I used several sizes of Arkansas stones and jewelers files to smooth the rough edges of the metal parts that I could reach. I thoroughly cleaned the inside do the receiver and magazine tube and lightly relubed the parts as I reassembled the rifle. Now it runs slick and looks great. Mine is a .357. I took it deer hunting for the first time last fall. It took about 3 seconds for the bang-flop to occur.

Baja_Traveler
02-15-2018, 06:06 PM
I agree - do it yourself. If you need real instruction, go to StevesGunz.com and order his Rossi dvd - it'll give you all the info you need to make that rossi first class. Any local machinist can drill and tap the tang for a few bucks, or even a case of beer if you bring it to him disassembled and ready to go.

shooter93
02-15-2018, 08:13 PM
Rick....aka Waksupi does absolutely exceptional work. It would be great if he had an FFL but I bet he could tell you who to send the gun to for the metal work. Although he does his work not really full time he is FAR from a hobbyist. He did do this work for a gunmaker for a long time. I assure you that you would be more than happy with his stock work. Examples of his work have been posted here many times.

Naphtali
02-15-2018, 09:58 PM
I can finish the wood, but can't do any other work on the gun considering my ffl doesn't cover gunsmith work. Wood would need to be removed from the gun, as the barreled action can't be left on the premises, again due to ffl regs. I believe one problem has just disappeared. Ric, I'll be getting in touch with you shortly. I thank all of you fore getting one monkey off my back.

LIMPINGJ
02-16-2018, 11:45 AM
Ric is an artist, my NSW Early English trade gun that he built is beautiful.

Preacher Jim
02-16-2018, 12:10 PM
Rick does exceptional work

mold maker
02-17-2018, 12:13 PM
While I can't speak for gunsmiths, I'd much rather have a gemstone cut by a talented hobbyist than a commercial or professional. I dare you to find fault with any stone I've cut but can find faults in all "professional" cuts. They can't take the time needed for perfect results, and the customer wouldn't pay the price. Of course, some of both think that good enough, really is good enough. Ya pay the price and hope, in either case.

Der Gebirgsjager
02-17-2018, 12:36 PM
I'm sure glad to hear that you got your rifle back. Congratulations on that, at least. Like has been pointed out here and there in the above posts, there are doubtless many here on the forum that could fulfill your work order to a partial of complete level. But, unless the member lives "just down the road" where you can keep a daily eye on your work/rifle, it's impossible for it not to be out of your control for a certain period of time, and that involves trust. Also, as has been stated, a non-FFL holder can not keep your rifle in his shop overnight. If you want a really nice job done on the rifle the gunsmith, amateur or professional, will have to have the rifle in his possession to assure that the fit of the wood to the metal remains and a good overall appearance is maintained. I'm afraid that you'll have to let go of it again for awhile, as "walk-in" stock refinishes and tang sight drill and tap jobs just don't exist. So my advise is for you to find a not-so-distant gunsmith, examine some of his finished work, and when you find one you like both as an individual and as a craftsman, go with him.

shooter93
02-17-2018, 08:25 PM
I'd bet the ranch that you'll be very satisfied with Rick's work. Search the site for pics of his work.I have had many guns built by a local Gunmaker who is 15 minutes from me but If they ever get my health problems fixed up I have 3 muzzleloader rifles I want built and I will send them to Rick because my builder if way backed up with my modern rifles.