PDA

View Full Version : 30 cal flaring die discovered in my kit

Drew P
02-11-2018, 01:09 PM
I have been loading for 308 and 300bo and sometimes shaving lead, or ending up needing to flare the mouth a little. The Hornady powder drops don’t come in 309 size?! Anyway what I found in my kit is a 32/20 cowboy set from rcbs. This set has a wonderful flare die that I tried for these cartridges with great success. It even has an M die step type shape.
Just thought I’d pass this on if anyone is finding they need a little help starting bullets in sharp edged cases.

dimaprok
02-11-2018, 06:43 PM
I have been loading for 308 and 300bo and sometimes shaving lead, or ending up needing to flare the mouth a little. The Hornady powder drops don’t come in 309 size?! Anyway what I found in my kit is a 32/20 cowboy set from rcbs. This set has a wonderful flare die that I tried for these cartridges with great success. It even has an M die step type shape.
Just thought I’d pass this on if anyone is finding they need a little help starting bullets in sharp edged cases.I found Lee Universal flaring die works pretty well but NOE is even better. With lead bullets its a MUST.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

HangFireW8
02-11-2018, 08:43 PM
Cowboy die sets usually have flare dies due to the lead boolit requirement of Cowboy Action Shooting, also most any straight-walled cartridge case die set will have one.

Drew P
02-11-2018, 10:41 PM
Is there a cowboy set for 308 though? Or 300bo?

Normal rifle sets are either size, seat, crimp or size, seat/crimp.

What do most people use? I’ve been getting by with inside chamfer.

I only have this one “cowboy” set but I have to say that it’s very nice set I think. Even looks nice lol. They seem somewhat unique and I like that rcbs basically invented the category of die set by naming them. Die sets descriptions are often lacking so the details are lost. With cowboy sets you’re basically assuming the end user is loading Lead bullets. For us, that’s nice for us! This flare die I have is perfect for us.
Please correct me if I’m wrong on any of this. It’s taken me a while to get a gasp of what all different dies and companies are doing and it’s been somewhat expensive to learn as well! I’m on my 3rd 45acp set as a result. Started with Redding, then Lyman, and now Dillon and I’m certain that will be the last, for that caliber.

I just love it when you can use a die for multiple calibers.

Drew P
02-11-2018, 10:54 PM
I just checked and it looks like rcbs cowboy sets are only available in 7 calibers, all cowboy type actions.

John Boy
02-11-2018, 10:56 PM
... and the amount of case mouth flair should be to allow 1/2 of the bullet base to be seated in the case

WALLNUTT
02-11-2018, 11:31 PM
LEE Universal expander with NOE plugs. Various sizes within a given caliber, all with steps like M dies.

Drew P
02-12-2018, 01:25 AM
LEE Universal expander with NOE plugs. Various sizes within a given caliber, all with steps like M dies.
Oh those are cool! And cheap! I’ll have to see what other sizes I might need and try one.

mehavey
02-12-2018, 01:42 AM
Anyway what I found in my kit is a 32/20 cowboy set from rcbs. ...whose shank is 0.310" (Hmmm.... I'll try it tomorrow on my Krag (Cast sized 0.311)

downwind
02-12-2018, 09:20 AM
RCBS makes a set for the 30-30 geared to a .309 boolit.

The expander inserts are available individually through Midsouth or Midway

marek313
02-12-2018, 10:13 AM
For 300 AAC you have to use LEE Universal expander or similar product or you'll end up shaving a ring of lead off every time. At least I did at first.

Silverboolit
02-12-2018, 11:48 AM
I have been using a LEE .30 carbine PTX die for my .308's. Had to modify the die a bit, but not too hard to do as I think that the PTX die body isn't hardened. Works well with the auto drum measure.

Drew P
02-12-2018, 12:12 PM
The ptx insert I machined was VERY hardened.

gwpercle
02-12-2018, 05:07 PM
I found Lee Universal flaring die works pretty well but NOE is even better. With lead bullets its a MUST.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

But you have to have the Lee Universal Die to use the NOE inserts....they do work wonderfully together...like having a Lyman M-Die for $6.50 !