PDA

View Full Version : Differant bullet weights?????

Hootmix
02-10-2018, 11:18 AM
If this is in wrong place ..please move it. I am cast'n w/a Lyman 200gr. DC mould using a double nozzle ( I made it ) dipper I'm having trouble getting the same weight bullets.. they are running any where from 206 +to 208 +..40lb pot same lead ( hope i'm not over flux'n ) ,,trying to keep everything the same ..Same timing,same temp, still not getting constant fillout either...any tip's on what i'm doing wrong?? Yep ..keeping mould's hot ..yep turned temp up run a few,,turn temp down run a few .

Go'n for coffee,,,,Hootmix.

upnorthwis
02-10-2018, 11:25 AM
Two grains is not going to make a difference.

JSnover
02-10-2018, 11:26 AM
Are all of them 6 to 8 grains over, or are you getting some lightweights too? If the weights are consistent, I wouldn't worry about it.
Poor fill in a hot mold might just need some tin. I got much better boolits just by pouring a little off center so the stream would swirl as it went through the sprue plate.

Hootmix
02-10-2018, 11:44 AM
Thank's ya'll...tin..i have some old solder I can add..JSnover yes sir 206.4 to 207. + mostly a few at 208.1-2...I sort into coffee cans ( empty ) mark weight's & dates . I know they will all shoot...but .

coffee's ready,,,,Hootmix.

swheeler
02-10-2018, 11:58 AM
I would take ten from each cavity and weigh them. If it is the mould itself that is causing the weight difference you can mark one cavity in the nose with a small dimple so you can seperate the bullets.

Hootmix
02-10-2018, 12:18 PM
swheeler...yes sir,,that's what I tried ,,same results, I keep the mould on the edge of the pot while I walk around kick'n stuff and talk'n to myself,,I'm not "COPD-ED" ( is that a word) anyway it puzzle's me. I see other's on here who's weight' s very ..but usually only by .1 or.2 so I thought maybe I am doing something totally wrong. Boy ! ain't learn'n "FUN".

coffee's ready,,,,Hootmix.

JSnover
02-10-2018, 12:34 PM
Have you measured them?

Calamity Jake
02-10-2018, 12:36 PM
If this is in wrong place ..please move it. I am cast'n w/a Lyman 200gr. DC mould using a double nozzle ( I made it ) dipper I'm having trouble getting the same weight bullets.. they are running any where from 206 +to 208 +..40lb pot same lead ( hope i'm not over flux'n ) ,,trying to keep everything the same ..Same timing,same temp, still not getting constant fillout either...any tip's on what i'm doing wrong?? Yep ..keeping mould's hot ..yep turned temp up run a few,,turn temp down run a few .

Go'n for coffee,,,,Hootmix.

Plug one of the nozzles and fill both cavities out of the other, see if that makes a difference.
If it does then it's the dipper, if not, then one cavity is a little different than the other.
As has been said, 2 grains difference in a pistol boolit will be hard to see on the target.

Hootmix
02-10-2018, 01:01 PM
JSnover... .406 dia. as cast " right" sorry these are for my 76 chappie 40/60 cal. rifle .Will try pulg'n one spout ,,good ideal. I know I'm just shoot'n target's..but "still".. think'l just have another "pot" of coffee (lol) .

Hootmix.