PDA

View Full Version : How much would you sell caseings for???

Willyp
08-30-2008, 03:49 AM
I have been trying to sell off a bunch of once fired caseings and some new ones !What is the best way to figure out what to set the price at,on once fired ones???The shipping cost is awful!!!! I am thinking i may just pack them up and go to the scrap dealer.
Even the new brass,if it is $39 .50 @ 100,no one will give you .35 cents apiece for them and shipping!!!!

Heavy lead
08-30-2008, 06:23 AM
What caliber(s)?

Pitmaster
08-30-2008, 07:00 AM
Shipping may cheaper with a flat rate box but that would depend upon how many you were shipping at a time.

Boerrancher
08-30-2008, 08:14 AM
I have been trying to sell off a bunch of once fired caseings and some new ones !What is the best way to figure out what to set the price at,on once fired ones???The shipping cost is awful!!!! I am thinking i may just pack them up and go to the scrap dealer.
Even the new brass,if it is $39 .50 @ 100,no one will give you .35 cents apiece for them and shipping!!!!

Willy,

It depends on what they are. If they are 45-70, 45 LC, or 44-40, I would gladly give you 35 cents apiece for them and shipping, or trade you something you can use for them.

Best Wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

mooman76
08-30-2008, 09:06 AM
I don't sell brass but I usually figure once fied brass is worth about half the price of new, but then again that's just me. Much more and I might as well buy new. You can check in catalogs and on line with the companies that sell brass to figure what it is worth new. That flat rate boxes is a good idea.

monadnock#5
08-30-2008, 09:44 AM
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Browse.asp?Cat=1016

This might help you competitively price your brass. 45nut has given his seal of approval to the auction format. Give us a try on a couple of lots. If you don't like the results, send what's left to the scrapper. [smilie=2:

MT Gianni
08-30-2008, 12:22 PM
Several of the gun shops I frequent have had used brass in a baggie selling for about 1/2 of new. This is range pick up tumbled and occasionally sized. They are selling it at 1/2 and the seller to them must be getting less for them to sell it. I would not pay 85% of new cost for used brass but that's me. Gianni

oneokie
08-30-2008, 12:56 PM
If your brass includes 9mm, 40 S&W, and 357 Sig, the scrap dealer would be the best place for it.

I pay 10¢ each for rifle calibers and large rimmed pistol calibers, that I buy. Weatherby calibers bring more. Rifle brass that I have sold here averages between 10¢ and 15¢ each, shipped.

Sorting by headstamp might get you a better price, if you want to spend the time sorting.

Tumble cleaning and inspecting for defective cases is a plus.

Hope this helps

Blammer
08-30-2008, 03:55 PM
use a flat rate envelope, you can get a couple hundred in it easy.

HeavyMetal
08-30-2008, 05:06 PM
It honestly depends on the caliber of the case.

45 Auto is about $55.00 to $65.00 a thousand. Wierd / hard to find stuff, like the big Weatherby case's could be .75 cents to $1.00 each or more just depends on where you are and what it is.

45r
08-31-2008, 08:32 PM
You could take your brass to the range and find somebody that would want it.I got 550 pc's 308 win brass at a garage sell and sold 80 later at a gun store,some one wanted some for his FAL.I paid 17 dollars at the sale and sold the 80 for 10 dollars.I might get the rcbs 165-sil for my 308 now that I have 470 pc's 308 brass for only 7 dollars.Wish I could get a deal like that more often.

EDK
09-01-2008, 10:31 AM
I bought some brass off eBay from time-to-time until they banned it...and now they're banning RUGER single action grip frames too! Gunbroker has reasonable prices....some people at Auctionarms must be smoking dope at the prices they list! After I figure in shipping costs, I usually avoid anything under 500 casings unless it is something like nickle plated 44 magnums or some rifle brass. My cut-off on a bid is a dime a casing for nickle plated 357 or any 44 magnums...basically all I buy. 45 ACP used to be hard to find, but has gotten a lot more available.

I did find a good seller from eBay, now on Gunbroker, that I've bought from before and got a good deal on 500 nickle 357s and 500 brass 44s. He said he will collect 44 nickle until he gets 500 or more and send me an email on price...he saves auction and PayPal fees and I'll send a money order or check.

Dittos on the Flat Rate boxes and envelopes. Save yourself and the buyer some $$....you will both be happier. I sold parts and didn't know about flat rates, but got a quick education.

One last thought: Reloaders are looking for a deal. They reload because of the price of factory ammunition. Do you really think they want to pay anything close to retail for brass....or boolits...or powder and primers! There's a discount smokes/liquor store chain in the St Louis area...DIRT CHEAP LIQUORS....and their TV sales motto is 'CHEEP...CHEEP" They got a lot of fans here!

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

TCLouis
09-01-2008, 03:32 PM
That the first response asks a simple question, 'What kind of brass are you trying to sell'?

It is the entire basis of what answers should follow, and yet the question was never answered so we could all give an educated answer to your post!

SO, What kind of brass are you trying to sell and in what quantities?

GOPHER SLAYER
09-03-2008, 06:18 PM
I have never been able to sell brass at all except to scrap dealers so I usually give it away.It has been my experience that people who shoot Weatherby cartriges don't reload anyway.I have four boxes of unfired 458 Win.mag cartriges and I have had no luck selling them either.It seems that except for cowboy action shooters fewer people are reloading,at least here in southern California.I go to the range at least once a week and the trash cans usually have lots of new ammo boxes in them.The brass they sweep up and dump in the brass bucket.I would not pass up any of the lage rimmed cases of course but then you never see of those cases on the ground.