PDA

View Full Version : what is the chance

corey012778
08-30-2008, 01:28 AM
my wife works at a 7-11 (so do I). that are having drainage problems. they ran an snake about 60ft and pulled a rope out with "chemicals" on it. I said it could be lead (with a smile on my face). I am been known to be wrong. could also be tar as well.

the building was built about 40+ yrs ago. what is the chance I was right?

they may have to rip up the whole floor and take out the iron pipes.

this young man needs seasoned minds help on this one. :drinks:

Meatco1
08-30-2008, 02:30 AM
I doubt if there is a lead pipe there. 40 years ago, plumbers were using galvanized pipe.

Richard

Cactus Farmer
08-30-2008, 06:59 AM
Not galvanized pipe,might be cast iron,could even be PVC. PVC is not that new. In a commercial building I would bet cast but what ever it is it is seldom necessary to dig. Get a plumber with a camera that will go in to see the problem area and then assess the repair. Busting a slab and digging will be pricey. And dirty too. Powered rooters do a wonderful job on old clogs too.Follow any cleaning with a good flushing with plain old H2O to get the goo to the main sewer then it's the city's problem.

fishhawk
08-30-2008, 07:34 AM
probley the oakum from the joint with cast iron pipe gould indicate a broken pipe or joint

KYCaster
08-30-2008, 10:09 AM
I agree with Fishhawk, probably oakum. If your plumber doesn't recognize oakum, you need to find one with more experience. Any plumber who hasn't dealt with CI pipe hasn't been on the job very long and I wouldn't trust him to advise you about tearing up your floor.

If the problem was 60 ft. down stream it must be outside the building. I don't know about VA, but here, 40 yrs. ago, CI was required under traffic/parking areas.

Cactus Farmer's suggestion is a good one, get a plumber with a camera, he'll also be able to trace the location of the pipe and pinpoint the spot to dig.

Just a guess but I'd say there are two pollibilities....damage from heavy traffic/poor installation or excessive use of Drano.

Good luck
Jerry

DLCTEX
08-30-2008, 11:47 AM
+1 on the camera, it will asess the condition of the pipe and pinpoint any problems. Even if the problem is under the slab, it is cheaper to open that spot and repair. We do such repairs often. DALE

corey012778
08-30-2008, 12:01 PM
they already put a camera down there and called the city. the city blasted the pipes.

I was just hoping.