PDA

View Full Version : Semi-Noob seeking advice on casting for a Glock 30s (.45acp) with WW

Pooka
02-03-2018, 02:42 PM
Hi all,

I am seeking advice on casting with wheel weights for a Glock 30s (being a 30s it is the same barrel as the G36) running a Wolf l & g barrel.

I know....the most tempting piece of advice is to get a real gun...I have and LOVE my 1911 but nonetheless, I want to train up on the G-30s and prefer to feed it some home cooking so here I am.

I'm a bit of a noob as I haven't cast in about 10 years and I was pretty low volume and new to it back then. I posted in the MOLDS section and got some great replies in regards to preferred molds but I have a few points I am seeking advice on so here we go:

- I will be using wheel weights for the first time, do I need to add anything to the mix or will the WW lead do as is? I used range lead in the past and it was soft and I always had leading issues.

- I plan on powder coating which is also a first for me, how does that affect sizing or the need for size? I assume the PC adds .001 or so? I have a Lee sizer in .452 and plan on using it if need be.

- Do I need to heat treat or harden with WW, and if so what is your prefered method? Will the PC process mess with my hardening?

Thanks in advance for any reply.

Cheers!

lightman
02-03-2018, 02:57 PM
Powder coating should make about any alloy work so wheel weights won't be a problem. You should not need any heat treating. With wheel weights I size, lube and shoot. No water cooling or heat treating necessary.

Pooka
02-03-2018, 03:05 PM
Thanks Lightman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tazman
02-03-2018, 10:55 PM
Powder coating adds about .001-.002 to the diameter of a boolit. You will need to size them as needed for your barrel.
The alloy you are using will work fine.
The pc process will remove any heat treating done previous to the powder coating process. 45ACP doesn't require a hard alloy in any case and the pc coating makes it even less of an issue.

Pooka
02-04-2018, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the info Tazman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk