PDA

View Full Version : Prvi Partizan 7.62mm Russian Nagant (7.62x38R) Brass

map55b
01-29-2018, 05:57 PM
Has anyone used this brass? Having a lot of odd stuff, I've used a lot of Prvi Partizan brass in the past and been pleased. Any reason I should expect different with the 7.62x38R?

swheeler
01-29-2018, 07:03 PM
I have had nothing but good luck with Prvi brass, next batch of 264 Win Mag will be Prvi.

Mohawk Daddy
01-29-2018, 07:31 PM
I bought some when it went on sale at half price at Graf's and have loaded some with plated boolits and smokeless. Haven't fired any yet. (68 degrees forecast for Wednesday; I'm gone.) Still trying to figure out how to get cast DEWC at .308 and around 100 grains to shoot with black powder.

reddog81
01-29-2018, 08:36 PM
If your going to try and produce ammo that has the gas seal like the factory rounds the 7.62 x38R cartridge has a number of unique steps. If your going to shorten the case and load the bullets like normal it's pretty straight forward. The PPV brass should work just fine either way.

BHuij
01-29-2018, 08:48 PM
I ordered 60 rounds of Prvi Partizan brass-cased ammo when I bought my Mosin, basically so that I could reload the brass.

The ammo kicked like a mule but worked great.

The brass is going strong on its 7th or 8th reload; no signs of stress or failure on any casings. I've had to trim it once so far. I'm shooting the Lee 185gr .312 boolit. Mine drops a little large, which is perfect. I'm using air-cooled wheel weights, powder coating, then adding aluminum gas check and sizing to .314" (my Nugget slugged out at .313). No leading so far.

Putting this pill on top of 23.0 grains of IMR 4227 and a magnum primer. Great results. I suspect the load and my specific 91/30 are capable of getting under 2MOA. My own skill is the limiting factor there.

It's a fairly light load, and though I'm not chronoing, a little math with the Lyman Cast Bullets handbook (4th ed.) tells me the load should be right around the 1800FPS mark, which sounds just right to me. I think because it's a light load and not a terribly fast burning powder, the pressures the brass has to endure are pretty low.

Once I have finalized my experimentation with dacron filler, varying COAL, etc. I will probably cast up a few soft points and make this into my go-to deer rifle. Also toying with the idea of putting a replica PU scope on it.

But yeah, that was way more info than you probably needed. Using a fairly light load with cast boolits, my Prvi Partizan 7.62x54R brass is fantastic.

Edit: Just saw you were asking about 7.62x38, not 54R. No experience with that brass, but based on everything I know, it's hard to go wrong with PPU.