PDA

View Full Version : Two New Loverin Moulds...and an excursion

BruceB
08-28-2008, 02:25 AM
Due to many severe distractions in my personal affairs, I only finally managed a test-casting-run a couple days ago with two moulds which were acquired from Ebay some months back.

Both are NEW-in-the-box Loverin-designed Lyman-Ideals from the '70s (well, they WERE new, anyways). One is a single-cavity 311465 which casts at 125.1 grains from my WW metal, The bullets are perfectly round, as far as my Mitutoyo calipers can tell. As-cast diameter reads .312" on the rear band. Seems like a very nice light-.30 bullet, which should work well in cases from .30 Carbine on up.

The other mould is a 4-cavity 311466, also virginal and one of the finest examples of mould-making that I EVER expect to see. It is simply flawless. The design is one of my absolute favorites, and I expect to see thousands of fine copies of the design piling-up on the bench. A short test run with my WW at 870 degrees gave some nice boolits. One mould-full, meaning one bullet from each cavity in a single filling, shows maximum weight spread of 0.3 grains, average 152.6 grains, and no measurable difference in dimensions (again, with calipers and not a micrometer). Base-band diameters from the new mould are all .313". This measurement allows for a great deal of experimentation, of course, and these may even run well in my 1955 #4 Mk2 .303.

(YES, Bill, the 2-cav 466 is yours, but jus' hold on thar, pard...I seem to sense a potential deal in the wind....!)

Judicious selection and bidding can still yield some treasures at auctions. Considering that a Lyman new-production 4-cavity mould with handles is well over $100, I believe that some of the obsolescent designs are still within practical (and reasonable) price ranges. It was still a choker for an ol' guy like me to pony-up the $150 for that 311466, I must admit. But, I HAVE IT, and I'm pleased as punch!

The Loverin multi-groove designs come down to us from the 1950s, from whence I clearly recall some writings which described them as designs which yield good fill-out only with somewhat more difficulty than "conventional" designs of the time. It may be the high temperature at which I cast, but I've had no problems in casting well-formed Loverins from a number of moulds. In .30-caliber at least, they are my go-to design for starting out with a new rifle or cartridge. I have great respect for the Loverins I've tried, and always have an eye out for any which are not included in my present conglomeration of boolit moulds.

NVCurmudgeon and I went out to the new Humboldt County Range on Tuesday, and pronounced it a fine facility. We have two fifty-yard short-range bays, a fifty-yard-wide 100-yard range with benchrests, and a 400-yard range with benchrests on a commanding elevation for the firing point. These allow just about any sort of shooting fun a man could reasonably ask for. All the ranges are 100% safe to operate independently of each other, and even the noise from the various ranges is very muted and at pleasant volume. The entire complex was ours on Tuesday; not another soul showed up....maybe they'd heard of two wild-eyed geezers with guns up there on the mountain??? We tried stretching my Shiloh .45-70 to a 400-yard gong, but decided that perhaps we'd best do some intermediate-range paper-target work before getting that ambitious again.

Great fun...made us feel like a couple early-teeners with our first .22s again!

jhalcott
08-28-2008, 07:34 PM
Bruce, Iv'e tried that 311466 cast from several alloys ,WW to Linotype. it has always done great for me. I have a Contender 14" 30-30 that loves this bullet. A couple 30-06's that like it too. A 12" .308 Lone eagle puts 3 of them into an inch or less IF I DO my part! I have killed deer with it and the 30-30, only a 70 yard shot. I've shot ground hogs with it from all the above guns and several more. I have a single cavity and a 2 cavity mold for it. I occassionaly use a FN top punch to make it a flat nose. It does SEEM (to ME) to make a better deer killer of it. I hand lube those grooves that are out side the case just before loading IF tests indicate the need.

Buckshot
08-31-2008, 01:39 AM
..............BruceB and NVcurmugeon. And there you have the long and the short of it :-) I'd forgotten to ask about the new range, but seeing it before it was completed I was impressed.

http://www.fototime.com/E1A11476CF29CA3/standard.jpg

So you say there are benchs there on the 2 rifle ranges? Outstanding! Now if the hoodlems and childish idiots can refrain from destroying them they'll be a real benefit to the entire north central Nevada area.

I too hope to be able to get back into this casting and shooting thing before too much longer :cbpour: I have accumilated a a couple new rifles (new to me anyway) and several new moulds (same deal) and have yet to try them out. Do you suppose the next NCBS will be held at the new range?

................Buckshot