PDA

View Full Version : Dual use thermometer?

jamesp81
01-28-2018, 12:00 PM
Is there a thermometer that can be used for measuring temp of your melt and your moulds as well?

I already have way too much random stuff for Reloading cluttering my workbench :razz: Need to keep it simple...

Hossfly
01-28-2018, 12:53 PM
Fluke digital 2 probe is what I use just you have to get Thermocouples
With tha high temp coatings so they won’t melt

Mike W1
01-28-2018, 02:19 PM
I use a VOM that has a temperature setting on it. And for that matter if you have a PID setup with the plug/panel option just would need a TC to plug in there and use as a thermometer. I use a "cheap" 1/8" probe off ebay to do that.

bangerjim
01-28-2018, 03:02 PM
You can use an IR gun from HF. IF........IF......you float a black large washer on the surface of your melt and make sure you have a black area on your molds. You did not say what material your molds are. An IR will NOT measure the temp of a shiny reflective or light colored surface.They like black/dull surfaces. I use some BirchwoodCasey Aluminum Black solution to make an end of my Al molds black. Fe molds work as-is. My brass molds I use a custom proprietary chemical compound I make to patina brass to make one end black.

Or do as above with t/c's. I preffer the IR approach when I RARELY (if ever) take the temps of melts and molds. With experience, you can know about where your temp is by just observing "things". Exact temp is not that critical anyway for our hobby.

And by using that observation method, I get perfect boolit drops from the 1st pour every time.

And "holdin' yer mouth jes right" always helps! HA......ha!

Banger

Banger