PDA

View Full Version : NOE 358-124-TC RG2 PB or GC or TL 357-135-RF RG2 GC (RD)

rdwarrior
01-27-2018, 07:58 PM
Hey all
I would like some inputs on subj molds for a 9mm mold. I am thinking I would like the 358-124-TC RG2 for my wife's Springfield Armory 9mm. The only hesitation I have will that style projectile feed properly. Anyone have any experience with this particular mold? Also it is available in PB or GC. I am leaning towards PB due to the velocity in a 9mm. I will be powder coating using Smoke4320's powders. Or is the general consensus that the TL-357-135RF RG2 (RD) would be a better performer? The latter is only available right now with GC. Regardless of which mold, I will be casting with COWW + 2%tin and then mixing with 25% SOWW to soften it - if that would be a good mix for the 9.

I should add here that I may also use this projectile as a lightweight round for my wife's .38 Special - depending on the actual diameter it casts at.

Any insight into these molds would be most appreciated.

jmort
01-27-2018, 08:08 PM
I like the 135 grain Ranch Dog
I got the gas check version for the reasons stated by Ranch Dog when he designed it

gwpercle
01-27-2018, 08:43 PM
I purchased the NOE 358-124-TC GC mould. I got the GC design because I wanted to use an alloy of COWW and Lead 50/50 , air cooled, shot at a respectable velocity. The GC would help with any leading and the softish alloy might deform a little. Another member experimented extensively with cast 9 mm and hollow points and came to the conclusion it might be more trouble than it was worth and if I understood it all correctly .
Sized to .357 and gas checked have had great results in 6 different 9 mm pistols, Walther, Springfield, Taurus, Baretta , Ruger and S&W . Except for differing OAL's , some had little or no throats so boolits had to be seated deeper , after working those details out , they all fed , fired and functioned properly with no leading. Very good accuracy in every one especially the Walther P38 . All lubed with a Lithium-Beeswax lubricant , sized .357.

Looking at these nice gas checked boolits I decided to load some in my 357 magnum and give the 38 special a try as well. In both accuracy was outstanding...the 357 magnum and accurate #5 was very impressive in the accuracy department....more so than the Keith SWC's I usually shoot.
And again ...no leading with that soft alloy. I used the 9mm taper crimp die to taper crimp them in 38 spcl. and 357 mag. works like a charm.
In 38 spcl and 357 mag I tried sizing to .357 and .358 ..little or no difference noted in either Ruger Blackhawk or S&W model 64. I now just size them all .357 and use them in whatever I'm loading.

I am glad I have the gas check and because I mainly plink and target shoot, do not miss having a hollow point. If I get a 357 rifle, say for hogs or deer , I would not use a hollow point ...penetration is wanted and the softer allow can upset without a hollow point hindering penetration into the vitals. For hunting I prefer penetration, a 35 cal. is large enough and I have come to believe total penetration is better than a frangible bullet . But that's just my theory ....if you like hollow points , go for it. I believe the NOE can be set up with short pins to cast solids so you can " have it any way you want it" . Big hollow points look cool, but the alloy has to be hard enough to resist deformation when the boolit hits the feed ramp. Hard alloy and the hollow point shatters when it hits game . All of this gets tricky to work out, how hard is too hard.
I am glad I got the gas check design. Powder coating may eliminate the need for GC but I don't PC.
The 4 cavity mould turns out lots of boolits....they are sweet moulds.
Gary

Bzcraig
01-27-2018, 11:15 PM
I got the 135 but the RNFP version. IMHO, there is no need for a HP with a cast boolit in 9mm. I did have my gunsmith/machinist remove the GC shank.

popper
01-27-2018, 11:22 PM
I use a 35-135 PB in my Xds 9, works great. 4 gr WST.