PDA

View Full Version : Youth target shoot

DLCTEX
08-27-2008, 08:47 PM
My pastor approached me Sunday as to teaching some of our youth to shoot. I immediately agreed, now I have to find a place and begin to gather the needed items. I have a flipper target, and will get a lot of balloons and drink bottles (plastic). I think our sheriff can be talked into use of the primitive range on his ranch ( leverage of votes), and hopefully a few friends will pitch in to help. In our rural area it is common to see letters to Santa to have requests for guns for Christmas, and no, it doesn't get them suspended from school. We need to keep our sport alive with new blood (bad choice of words, I mean new people interested in the shooting sports, of course). DALE

mooman76
08-27-2008, 09:04 PM
Good deal. We need all the support we can get. Make it a fun but safe event. Maybe you can get some people to donate some small prizes or something like that. If I was close I'd offer to help. Clay pigeons are fun to shoot and cheap too!

Calamity Jake
08-28-2008, 08:29 AM
Sounds like you need to hit the wollyworld at Elk or Pampa and buy up all there 22's, while your shopping pick up a few decks of playing cards and some flat cardboard sheet, tape a deck of cards face down on the CB place said CB at 7yds from the firing line, let each kid have 5 shots each, whoever has the best hand wins a prize.
Old bowling pins make good targets and will last forever with 22's then after the shoot us them for a weeny roast.
If you have enough supervision(help) and the kids understand the safty rules then get a kid on kid shoot off going using old 2X4 lumber cut 6-8in long pieces square enough so they will stand on end using 5 2X4's each shooter scatter the wood out at different distances the first one to knock his 5 targets wins.

Just a couple of ideas, it is a lot of fun to teach kids to shoot.

Wayne Smith
08-28-2008, 08:48 AM
First time I took Boy Scouts shooting 6 boys went through 600+ rds .22, half pound of BP, and the shotguns were going all day, I have no idea how many rounds they went through. Bottom line, have enough ammo.

I had one boy, scared of guns, not an ounce of competition in him. Worked one on one with him for about an hour, the next time he asked if he could just take a rifle and shoot it. I had extras, so I said yes. For the rest of the day he popped at one target, shot over 150 rds himself, and had a great day. For the rest of the shoots he was in the middle of the group of boys. Just needed to gain confidence in his own way.

Had another who was cross dominant. Worked with him, he did best with a pistol but learned to shoot left handed acceptably. Got his merit badge at camp shooting left handed.

Bad Water Bill
08-28-2008, 06:17 PM
We started that a couple of years ago. This year we changed the name to beginners day as quite a few moms or dads had just been dragged along. Now they also are shooters and are very confident in the way their children handle firearms. They also can understand where skill confidence and competition enter. Keep up the great work and (a plug for one of our good donors) contact Cabelas. Give them some extra days as they have to go thru corporate but they came thru for us. All they asked was to fly their furnished banner during the shoot and return same. Hope this helps. What made my day was when a 4 year old girl came and asked if she was big enough and could shoot. She shot and so did her mom who had never touched a gun before

mag44uk
08-29-2008, 04:16 AM
Past use by fruit and eggs are good too!
Bluetack the eggs onto a wood post. Hang the fruit with thread from a wood frame. Orange type fruit splatters well! No problem cleaning up as it will be gone by next day!
Plus 1 on the bowling pins.
Have fun and good luck.
Tony