PDA

View Full Version : Bag Horns

01-25-2018, 11:54 AM
Just a FYI for you guys that like making your own stuff. I was in Wal-Mart today, and while in the dog treats section, ran across a product meant for your dogs to chew on; Water Buffalo horns. As a natural product, they ranged widely in configuration, but many were suitable for making bag horns. I bought two. Many others were quite suitable, but two will keep me busy for awhile. These are not raw horns, but rather nicely processed. Cost per horn -- $6.95. Good looking, too.

Der Gebirgsjager
01-25-2018, 01:11 PM
Sounds like a great tip! I'm pretty sure I've seen everything else one would need to complete such a project in the Dixie Gun Works catalog.

Maven
01-25-2018, 01:35 PM
I was curious about these and searched Walmart's site and found this: https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=buffalo%20l%20horn%20chew%20toy

Hardcast416taylor
01-25-2018, 03:39 PM
I can always tell that the knifemaker in me hasn`t died. When I see things like these horns I`m running it in my mind if it would make decent knife scales?Robert

01-25-2018, 11:47 PM
Maven -- yep. That's it. They had two "racks" of these things. One at the price shown in your search, and another for $6.95 (maybe $6.97 - I can't remember). I bought two and, having made many powder horns, I can see that these will be great. Already "flat" without heating & forming. Each unique like natural stuff is. Think I'll use some exotic wood for the base & machine some brass for the spout end. I may have just found the source of material for next Christmas' present production.

Robert -- Find the "just right" one and they would be super scales.

waksupi
01-26-2018, 10:34 AM
Pet shops also have them. For knife makers, they also have bleached bone. Lots cheaper than buying from a knife supplier.

OverMax
01-26-2018, 12:06 PM
They do come in left and right curves and twists.. Best make sure when purchasing the side carried match's the horn.

mooman76
01-26-2018, 07:57 PM
Pet shops also have them. For knife makers, they also have bleached bone. Lots cheaper than buying from a knife supplier.

That's an idea. I have a knife a friend gave me and need to make a handle for it. I was thinking deer antler but don't have any suitable pieces.