PDA

View Full Version : What did I do ??

Johnch
11-21-2005, 10:33 PM
I loaded up 70 rnds of 233 with RCBS 55 gr bullet , plus several rnds to make sure I was close
I had 7 loads 10 rnds each .

I like to shoot 2 - 5 shot groups to insure bad groups were not me and good groups were not dumb luck .

I have a 43 yd range in Dad's barn along side the equipment , so no wind .

I shot the sighters and started shooting groups .
After I was done I went to retreve the targets and found 1 bad group .
Most groups were 1.25" to 3"
But 1 group 3 shots in 1" , 4th shot made it 8" (high left) , 5th shot turned it into 12+" (low left )
Other 5 of the same load and nothing different shot a 1.75" group

That group was #6 group of 14 .
No leading , barrel looks like I just cleaned it

What could have caused 2 of the 5 to be flyers ? [smilie=b:

I weighted all the bullets I used for groups .
I weighted out the powder .
All cases were Fed Match cases fire formed using corn meal and bullseye
I just flaired the neck enough to seat the bullet , using a Lee case expander die .

I don't think I pulled both to the left ,but there is that chance

What dose a gas check coming off due ?

Could I have when seating damaged the bullet side or base to cause this ?
Any other ideas what could have caused this ?

I am scratching my head trying to figure out what I did .

Johnch

1Shirt
11-22-2005, 10:14 AM
Could be a number of things, from canted bases, poor fit of gc's,dropped bullets w/dings, might just be you, or maybe you had one of those days when the Gods of Cast Bullets decided to make you humble. You might want to try the same thing all over again and see if you get like results. You might want to try having all the cases on the bench sitting base down for consistancy. You might want to tip the rifle up to the same height befor launching a round, might want to try a filler. There are a whoop of might wants to consider, but that is what makes it a ball game. Good Luck!
1Shirt

Cherokee
11-22-2005, 10:43 AM
Agree with 1Shirt - try the series again. I have good and bad days and many times have the same questions you do. Powder position, if the case is not full, can really make a big difference in the impact. Accuracy usually comes from consistancy.

Maven
11-22-2005, 12:00 PM
johnch, To the excellent advice above, try separating the CB's by cavity, weighing them, etc. and finally testing them. You may find the dimensions of one cavity are different enough to affect your groups, which you can determine visually. Also, check your sight/scope settings for looseness, which doesn't help consistent accuracy one bit.

StarMetal
11-22-2005, 12:09 PM
You might want to check your gaschecks after you have seated them and lubed the bullets. If you're using the Lyman/RCBS type luber/sizer the 22 cal cast bullet are alittle tricky to size with gaschecks on them because the lube holes in the sizer die sometimes snags the gascheck, either not seating it correctly or distorting it. So give the bullets a good visual check after gaschecking and sizing if using the equipment I just mentioned.

Joe

Johnch
11-22-2005, 05:10 PM
Starmetal you are probley right .

This afternoon I took a look and found a 22 gas check 2/3 of the way to the target .

So I checked the rest I had lubed , seated the gas check and sized .

Of the 120 left 2 I had not goten the gas check fully seated
Also those 2 I was able to pop the gas check off with a knife

[smilie=b: One more reason I stick to larger bullets [smilie=b:

Thanks for the feed back

Johnch

StarMetal
11-22-2005, 05:15 PM
John,

Sometimes on the bullet ejection stroke those lube holes catch that gascheck and try to pull it off some. I'm glad that may have been it for you. In reality the die makers should make the holes in the 22 sizers smaller in my opinion.

Joe