PDA

View Full Version : Lead alloy

Pbjunkie
01-23-2018, 04:21 PM
i was recently given 100 pounds of eagle shot magnum shot and I came across the opportunity to swipe 140 lbs of lead flashing for free, so I did :)

I figure with all this lead I would like to cast for my 45 raptor. The question is, if I mix both together with a 1-1 ratio will I have a strong enough alloy to push bullets about 1800-2000 fps range. I am also planning on powder coating. I know magnum shot is 5% antimony so I should get about 2.5 with the mix. I also have about 5 lbs of pure tin I can throw in, so my goal for this is about 2.5% antimony 1-2% tin the rest lead. Based on some calculators that is about BHN of ~12. So to restate my question, would that alloy cast into boolits and powder coated be sufficient at 1800-2000fps range.
These rounds will only be for plinking as hunting here in the people's republic of kalifornia requires a solid copper bullet.

John McCorkle
01-23-2018, 05:44 PM
Ymmv but I've had good success with PC boolits with a similar alloy in 300 blk but it's all about pressure. I gc mine which may be Overkill but have several thousand aluminum gcs to use at that speed. I'll defer to others opinion but PC has given what seems to be more tolerance in alloy specificity in my boolits both pistol and rifle. What powder will you be using and what pressures get you to that velocity? If it's a fast burning powder the pressure will be higher in the first duration of travel which is where gas cutting comes into play...but there again 300 blk is a higher pressure (pistol powder) round. Not sure with 45 raptor what the pressure would be to get you to 2k fps.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Pbjunkie
01-23-2018, 11:06 PM
I'll be using lil gun for now now with about 40 grains of powder and a 240 grain bullet. I Just completed the rifle so no testing yet. The load data is from 460 s&w with an 8 and 3/8 barrel and I have an 18 inch barrel.