PDA

View Full Version : 8.0+? Alaskan Coastal Quake, 'shallow' . . . 30+ foot Tsunami Warnings?

OS OK
01-23-2018, 09:47 AM
Happened early morning hours, the only info I've found is on this channel here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuYPEc03-6k

koehn,jim
01-23-2018, 10:36 AM
Warnings have been cancelled.

OS OK
01-23-2018, 10:56 AM
Warnings have been cancelled.

Links (?)

EDIT AFTER SEARCH FOR WARNINGS > http://mauinow.com/2018/01/23/tsunami-watch-cancelled-for-hawaii-after-7-9-alaska-earthquake/
is all I could find that was specific and it was for Hawaii...something is not adding up?

Elkins45
01-23-2018, 11:30 AM
NBC News has been giving regular updates on Twitter all morning.

OS OK
01-23-2018, 11:35 AM
NBC News has been giving regular updates on Twitter all morning.

Thanks, that explains that...I don't 'TWIT...'

Mr_Sheesh
01-23-2018, 12:30 PM
http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/index2.php is a good worldwide alerts web site, stumbled upon that a while ago; It's not perfect but gives some info.

I'd also imagine that the USGS and so on US Gov't web sites would have relevant info on them. Tho it's a bit late now.

I need to get my weather radio back online, moving it. Not that I am on the coast. Since they say that if "the big one" hits here, everything west of I5 may spend time underwater (in NW WA state anyways) not really planning to move there. Visit yes tho :)

Scorpion8
01-23-2018, 12:37 PM
Didn't even feel it. Just like another night at sea on the frigate.... Tsunami? Maybe it'll get the ditch along the street to drain properly.

Chihuahua Floyd
01-23-2018, 01:11 PM
I was in Anchorage for a 7.2 several years ago, centered about 60 miles north of town. Not something I will forget, but not that bad either. We left the conference room and got away from the hotel for a few minutes. Did not see much more damage that a few leaking pipes, mostly sprinkler systems in buildings.
You know what is happening with that size quake.
Been a bunch here in western NC since I been here, some I felt, some I did not, one I heard and felt.
CF

OS OK
01-23-2018, 01:14 PM
Remember Alaskan quake in 64? Will never forget TV coverage of that harbor disaster.

Elkins45
01-23-2018, 06:47 PM
Remember Alaskan quake in 64? Will never forget TV coverage of that harbor disaster.

Because it was 1964 there isn’t any home video, and much of the film isn’t very good either, but the still photos were amazing. Second story windows at street level because the ground just swallowed them up.

We watched a film about it in one of my college geology classes. Thinking about this reminded me of another film I would love to see again: it was called “San Francisco, City That Waits to Die.”

OS OK
01-23-2018, 07:48 PM
In the early days of S.F. the entire city burned...I think?...twice. That had to be a spectacle to see. Back in the day of wooden structures.
I live here in the heart of Gold Country, where it was discovered in 1848, about 10 air miles from me...anyway, an historic town close by is Georgetown and it too burned twice in the late 1800's.
Surprisingly, up here in the Sierras we have been isolated from all the quakes...we're on pert-near solid Granite.

Hick
01-23-2018, 11:54 PM
The US Geological Service has a website that covers all earthquakes worldwide-- and shows exactly where they are on the map. This one peaked at 7.9 but was where the pacific ocean bottom dips down into the ocean trench just south of Alaska-- which luckily makes it less damaging. It was at Latitude & longitude: 56.046°N 149.073°W
at a depth of 25.0 km (kilometers) which is about 15 miles deep (not at all shallow)

Wayne Smith
01-24-2018, 08:53 AM
... and it was a sideways slip, not a vertical slip. It is the vertical slips that displaces a lot of land/water and cause a lot of damage.