PDA

View Full Version : PC cast for 35 Remington

Mjdd23
01-23-2018, 01:00 AM
Maybe someone has experience with powder coated 200 grain cast boolits in a 336marlin. I am using a Lee mold I just got for Christmas. When I chamber the round it's tight and I can see the rifling on the boolit. I remember reading that these rifles may do this. I did shoot them and did not have any problems. The uncoated boolits chamber fine. Am I ok to keep shooting these with the powder coat? Thanks for any thoughts on this.

earlmck
01-23-2018, 02:50 AM
If it chambers OK then you are good to go. If that rifling contact causes difficult chambering you might have to do something different. That is the boolit I use powdercoated in my 336 and a couple of Remingtons, but my 336 shows only slight resistance when chambering the powdercoated boolit.

Mjdd23
01-23-2018, 07:06 AM
I think the powder coating is too thick. I am going to try to get a thinner coating next time. I use the dry tumble method and uniformity is hard for me to achieve. If there was a way to easily reduce the nose diameter that would be great. My case length is right at 1.910. Maybe I can go shorter as long as I'm not at max charge. Maybe I'm just over thinking this .

Thin Man
01-23-2018, 07:11 AM
Why not try adjusting the COL of your loads to fit into the chamber without the "resistance" you are having. Seat the boolits a small amount deeper in the cases and experiment with this before changing your powder coat mixture or buying another mold. This may give you what you are looking to find.

jcren
01-23-2018, 08:57 AM
After you stand em up, gently blow off the excess pc. A very thin film of powder clings to the bullet quite well and this eliminates flash at the base of the bullet.

MyFlatline
01-23-2018, 09:14 AM
I load for 5 different Marlin 35's, on a couple , I have to seat the bullet just a tad deeper. If you are not near max, which you have said not, then you should have no issues. My best accuracy comes from a snug fit tho. FWIW

rond
01-23-2018, 09:39 AM
I trim the brass shorter for all my Marlins, this allows crimping in the groove and keeps the boolit out of or just touching the rifling.

ikarus1
01-23-2018, 11:09 AM
are you sizing these, or just as cast and coated? PC adds .001" per coat.....

Mjdd23
01-23-2018, 05:36 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies. If I seat them deeper without trimming the case i will not be able to keep them in the crimp groove but i will try a few and give them a slight taper crimp and see how that works.
Next time I PC these I will pay more attention to the powder on the nose and keep it thin.
It was the first time I shot these particular boolits and was happy with the accuracy for the first time out.
I sized them with a Lee push thru and some were gas checked and some not.
I will try these ideas next time I reload. Probably this weekend and hopefully shoot them on Monday when I go to the range.