PDA

View Full Version : restaurants and gravy

redriverhunter
01-22-2018, 06:16 PM
I was reading the thread about sausage gravy and was think about all the local restaurants chains gravy is not good. Seems like all the restaurants have gone to something that was once powdered. When I travel I find the same, and I am sucker for mom and pop restaurant but good gravy not so hot. I was wondering why the restaurants do not make good home made gravy any more.

MyFlatline
01-22-2018, 06:20 PM
It's the bottom line, it takes time to make and is hard to store and reheat..Just think, most meals served by the chain Olive garden are frozen dinners..Makes ya think twice about dining out.

starmac
01-22-2018, 06:22 PM
I was at coldfoot a couple of years ago and ordered biscuits and gravy. The waitress came back and told me they were out of gravy. I said make some, how is it possible to run out f gravy, it turns out they have canned gravy, whoudathunkit.

swamp
01-22-2018, 06:50 PM
I have given up on finding good gravy. Just not worth the let down.

Rick Hodges
01-22-2018, 07:11 PM
If you find a place that makes it right, treasure it. Patronize it and treat them well.

starmac
01-22-2018, 07:25 PM
What gripes me, is anymore you had better specify cream gravy when you order a chicken fried steak. It has just come about in the last few years that they sometimes put brown gravy on them. When I order I have always ordered gravy on my fries too, at least twice in Montana I have gotten gravy on the fries and NONE on the chicken fry??? I have even specified cream gravy and gotten it on the chicken fry and brown gravy on the fries, what kind of thinking is that. I have also gotten chicken gravy and quite a few times sausage gravy on them.

MyFlatline
01-22-2018, 07:37 PM
I prefer brown gravy on most things but as most have said, if you don't make it yourself, it ain't worth eating. Anytime we have a family gathering that calls for gravy, the come get me to make it. Turkey and dressing with a good brown gravy is mighty fine.

Outpost75
01-22-2018, 07:58 PM
I am fortunate because we have a local Mom & Pop diner in the middle of town 1/2 block from the courthouse that is like a 1950s time capsule and they serve home style food and don't use canned gravy...

And as far as chains go, our local Waffle House isn't bad either.

BOSCHLOPER
01-22-2018, 08:33 PM
If you are ever in downtown Dover, New Hampshire, walk into Harvey's and order the sausage biscuits and gravy. You won't regret it. It's like stepping back into Mom's kitchen. I always figured good gravy was a midwest or southern thing. I don't know how they do it so well.

starmac
01-22-2018, 08:50 PM
Turkey is suppose to have brown or giblet gravey, roast beef, hamburger steak, etc is brown, it just ain't right to put brown gravy on a chicken fry. lol

Thumbcocker
01-22-2018, 09:06 PM
Niemerg's restaurant in Effingham Illinois off of I 57. The Sunday breakfast buffet is a thing to behold and the sausage gravy and biscuits are all home made. When you have spent from before daylight in a tree stand and have ice on your north side it can restore life to the extremities. Also unlimited bacon and western scrambled eggs on the buffet.

crowbuster
01-22-2018, 10:44 PM
I hear all you guys. the brown gravy thing drives me bonkers. First time I ordered biscuits n gravy in my buddies town in fla. I got 2 biscuits and sawmill gravy.....0 meat in it. Now, I like sawmill gravy, but paaalease

Houndog
01-22-2018, 10:58 PM
Sadly, there are VERY few people around any more that really know how to cook from scratch! Most restaurants, and homes anymore it's open a can, heat it up and call it good.

Chihuahua Floyd
01-23-2018, 07:54 AM
Cooked chicken with rice and gravy last night. Not difficult or time consuming.
CF

6bg6ga
01-23-2018, 08:27 AM
Unfortunately quality went down the crapper. The focus now is on making the most profit have customers stay X number of minutes so the booth can be turned over to new customers. I was actually told that the wife and I had been there too long after being there 10 minutes after the check was put on the table.

Most Gravy now is either canned beef, chicken, or pork or a tried but not proven gravy from a packet like Au Jus gravy. French dips seem to be a unfortunate recipient of very watered down Au Jus Gravy mix or just plain bullion cubes and water.

Most dives don't care anymore. Get you in fast get you out as soon as the bill hits the table. The faster turn around the better. Forget about gravy being hand made for your dish and gravy with real flavor.

bdicki
01-23-2018, 09:41 AM
The Dam Diner in Moss Bluff, Florida great biscuits and gravy. It's at the dam and lock on the Ocklawaha river.

parson48
01-23-2018, 11:50 AM
Always make my own anymore. As for sausage gravy, I like to make it the night before eating, heat it up while the biscuits are baking. Man!! I'm gettin' hungry now!

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-23-2018, 11:58 AM
mmm, Gravy made from scratch.
Bump's Restaurant is a Local place with great homestyle food.

click on video to start

https://www.facebook.com/bumpsrestaurant/videos/10154650991782516/

mold maker
01-23-2018, 12:16 PM
I made my version of SOS Sunday morning. 2 jars of dried beef, whole wheat flour, and half a gal. of milk, over freshly made biscuits. My tongue is still slapping my eyebrows for more.

Bookworm
01-23-2018, 02:03 PM
I've never found really good biscuits n gravy in a restaurant.

One of the reasons I married SWMBO was her cooking. Her sausage gravy is fabulous. I gained 20 pounds in 3 months after marrying her....

rking22
01-23-2018, 03:38 PM
Never order gravy or banana pudding, or spaghetti in restaurants, been disappointed too many times. Running joke is that I married Lori cause she made good biscuits, might be a good bit of truth there!

starmac
01-23-2018, 03:48 PM
Well I will never order spaghetti anywhere, but do gravy, and there is a truckstop iirc at exit 4 on I 20 in Georgia that has the best nanner pudding you have ever put in your mouth. I have been known to pay for their buffet, just to get all the nanner pudding I could eat. lol

MaryB
01-23-2018, 08:59 PM
Bump's is my halfway point pit stop on the way to the Twin Cities! Good food!

The video https://www.facebook.com/bumpsrestaurant/videos/10154650991782516

mmm, Gravy made from scratch.
Bump's Restaurant is a Local place with great homestyle food.

click on video to start

https://www.facebook.com/bumpsrestaurant/videos/10154650991782516/

smokeywolf
01-23-2018, 09:41 PM
MGM Studio Commissary had some of the best food I've had from a restaurant. Definitely the best biscuits and gravy I've had to date. Also the best clam chowder, shrimp salad and cobb salad.

Freightman
01-23-2018, 11:36 PM
Green Chili Willies between Amarillo and Canyon is a good place for Chicken Fried steak and it is cream.

mold maker
01-24-2018, 10:23 AM
The quality of the sausage makes a big difference in the taste of the gravy. You can make gravy with any greese, but good gravy comes from good sausage.

Thundarstick
01-24-2018, 12:20 PM
Judging from the sausage gravy thread in the cooking subforum, it's plain to see a good 85% of the country have no idea what good gravy is! This frees restaurants up to put any kind of semi liquid into a bowl and call it gravy! This is a self perpetuating cycle that allows for more and more of the population to be convinced they are indeed eating gravy, and not powdered mix! When the last Granny leaves this earth without teaching the skill of making real gravy there will be no morning for her gravy, because the pallets of the young will have been corrupted beyond recovery!:cry:

My wife worked for a convenience store in her younger days where she made "gravy" from a mix. After a while complaints started coming in about the gravy, how it was so much better on certain days and bland the rest. The management soon figured out everyone liked her gravy, but why? Turns out she was dumping the sausage and bacon drippings into her gravy to improve its flavor. They made her stop, so everyone's gravy would taste like warm wall paper paste with black pepper! This is management for you!:veryconfu

smokeywolf
01-24-2018, 02:46 PM
Same theory as "common core" education standards. If you can't make the dumb ones smart, dumb down the smart ones. That way the dumb ones don't seem so dumb. If you can't make everybody's gravy taste good, make none of it taste good. That way the bad doesn't seem so bad.

MT Gianni
01-24-2018, 03:36 PM
Kids headed to chef school are taught much more presentation than basic cooking skills.

AllanD
01-24-2018, 03:48 PM
There is a Chinese buffet about half an hour drive from here that often has fresh cut pineapple on their buffet and I have gone in there paid my money and eaten nothing besides pineapple and peel & eat shrimp.

Well I will never order spaghetti anywhere, but do gravy, and there is a truckstop iirc at exit 4 on I 20 in Georgia that has the best nanner pudding you have ever put in your mouth. I have been known to pay for their buffet, just to get all the nanner pudding I could eat. lol

mold maker
01-25-2018, 04:48 PM
My MIL claimed to be able to make gravy with a dirty sock,,,,,,and several times I think she actually did. But then, you never tell her so.

bayjoe
01-25-2018, 09:30 PM
Least you get to eat gravy even if it's bad. I got high chlorestral and it is on the do not touch list

Thundarstick
01-25-2018, 11:33 PM
You do realize you are going to die if you don't eat gravy, don't you? :kidding:

Had a Great Uncle that was captured I the "Battle of the Bulge" and spent the rest of the war in a German POW camp living on moulded bread and half rotten potatoes. He said he'd eat anything he wanted that he could afford to buy until the day he died. He did, at nearly 100!

6bg6ga
01-26-2018, 06:54 AM
Least you get to eat gravy even if it's bad. I got high chlorestral and it is on the do not touch list

I have had high cholesterol for 18 years now. The first 6 years I took the meds which did very little good. I quit taking them completely when they put me on a med that totally screwed me up. I eat what I want with the exception of salt. I cut salt way down. Yes, I eat gravy and I generally make the gravy in the house now because mine is better.

You want gravy then eat some it isn't going to kill you an d you need some quality of life.

mold maker
01-26-2018, 06:55 PM
Today my bad cholestrol was 68 and the total was 126 with meds, but good or sorry gravy is a rare treat.
Even the sorry gravy is better than none, and life is too short to deny yourself.

kiwi
01-27-2018, 12:48 AM
I have type2 diabetes high cholesterol and a dodgy ticker but I eat mostly what I want I cook all my meals fresh veg meat and fish
only canned food are tomatoes and beans it's all down to portion control and a proper balanced diet, I like my gravy sure it will kill you
if you eat it all the time, once a week in moderation won't hurt, fried chicken and mash with collard greens and gravy tonight washed down with one small beer
and it is within my calorie and fat allowance, since I have worked out what is a healthy diet for me I have cut down on my meds and put rice back on the menu
it took awhile but it's worth it, If I go to a trash food outlet I wish I hadn't the next day God only knows what they have done to the beef patties and chicken fillets

Lloyd Smale
01-27-2018, 08:23 AM
probably 95 percent of restaurants use canned gravy.

6bg6ga
01-27-2018, 08:40 AM
I have type2 diabetes high cholesterol and a dodgy ticker but I eat mostly what I want I cook all my meals fresh veg meat and fish
only canned food are tomatoes and beans it's all down to portion control and a proper balanced diet, I like my gravy sure it will kill you
if you eat it all the time, once a week in moderation won't hurt, fried chicken and mash with collard greens and gravy tonight washed down with one small beer
and it is within my calorie and fat allowance, since I have worked out what is a healthy diet for me I have cut down on my meds and put rice back on the menu
it took awhile but it's worth it, If I go to a trash food outlet I wish I hadn't the next day God only knows what they have done to the beef patties and chicken fillets

I'm ure New Zealand has some tastey little animals that are the makings of some good gravy or just the plain snake of the day.

abunaitoo
01-27-2018, 07:43 PM
I really like Chef mate chilli.
They have a sausage gravy.
Has anyone tried it????

shooterg
01-27-2018, 08:00 PM
Danged if my local Hardee's ain't got decent gravy and they do make the biscuits on site.

Not as good as what I crank out at home but gotta eat something at the AM ROF meeting !

Mtnfolk75
01-27-2018, 08:31 PM
SWMBO made Biscuits & Chorizo Gravy for dinner last night, using Fresh Ground Pork Chorizo from the meat counter of a local Mom & Pop market. It was awesome served with Scrambled Fresh Chicken & Duck Eggs.

bayjoe
01-27-2018, 10:34 PM
You'all are right !! You only live once so I had biscuits and gravy for supper with pecan pie for dessert. Wife even made up a batch of deer jerky. So life doesn't get better than that

Thundarstick
01-28-2018, 01:09 AM
See, hadn't killed you yet! :bigsmyl2:

mold maker
01-30-2018, 10:14 AM
Of the local fast food establishments, Hardies has the best biscuits although they definitely ain't fast. Their gravy is at least passable too.

BD
01-30-2018, 08:18 PM
The Stonewall Jackson restaurant in Summersville, WV used to make the very best biscuits & gravy I've ever had. I don't know if it's still there, but I used to go there on my day off just for the B&G after a weeks worth of cold rainy days on the Gauley in the fall. I could tell if they hadn't sold enough sausage that morning because the gravy would have more of a bacon flavor. Umm, Umm, good.
These days I'm trying to be a little more health conscious, so I tend toward scrapple for breakfast that I make myself. Real red eye gravy is made from the hot grease taken off the grill, mixed with a little flour and water. salt and pepper comes along from the grill. A "real" biscuits & gravy" place will have a pot on the far right corner of the grill where the grill cook adds the grease, flour and water as needed to keep it going. Bacon has way too much fat to make gravy with 100% bacon grease, pork sausage is just right. But, if you're the grill guy and you get that order, you'd be pretty tempted to make it work, even if no one had ordered sausage for awhile. Don't even ask me how I know this :)

firefly1957
02-01-2018, 08:51 AM
A few years ago in Southern Tennessee they had sausage gravy at a hotel breakfast bar it tastes bad i only ate a small amount tossed the rest and got something else to eat by 5 pm i was feeling real bad was better next morning the day after my vision doubled , (lasted 10 days) after all the tests and doctors the most likely thing was there was botulism in the gravy ?
My wife still says don't you dare if i even look at sausage gravy at a breakfast bar!

Thundarstick
02-01-2018, 10:44 AM
Your not likely to get botulism from gravy. That's Dr talk for, "I don't know what the devil happened, so I'll tell you this BS"! Clostridium botulinum grows in low salt alkali environs anaerobically, think canned green beans etc. Eat your gravy in peace!

firefly1957
02-03-2018, 05:00 PM
Your not likely to get botulism from gravy. That's Dr talk for, "I don't know what the devil happened, so I'll tell you this BS"! Clostridium botulinum grows in low salt alkali environs anaerobically, think canned green beans etc. Eat your gravy in peace!

It was indeed canned gravy , what do they say once bit twice shy bad part was being out of state at the time.

Steppapajon
02-03-2018, 05:09 PM
I taught me step daughter how to make sausage gravy when she was young because she loved it so much. Same for homemade pie crust. She has become a master at both, much to her new husband's delight!

castalott
02-03-2018, 05:14 PM
Niemerg's restaurant in Effingham Illinois off of I 57. The Sunday breakfast buffet is a thing to behold and the sausage gravy and biscuits are all home made. When you have spent from before daylight in a tree stand and have ice on your north side it can restore life to the extremities. Also unlimited bacon and western scrambled eggs on the buffet.

Another vote for Niemerg's in Effingham.... I have never ate breakfast there but the evening salad bar is one of the best... If the breakfast bar is 1/2 as good as the evening bar......Wow!

Plate plinker
02-04-2018, 09:11 PM
Box gravy is a mortal SIN. That stuff makes me sick. Actually sick.

firefly1957
02-05-2018, 07:06 AM

I looked for some results and found one gravy (canned) Castleberry’s Sausage Gravy, 10-ounce can (UPC 3030005130) that was infected the can they used there was large not 15 oz. this is from this article do date but in Georgia i ate the stuff in southern Tennessee near the Georgia state line here is the article : https://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/food-poisoning/news/20070723/botulism-risk-recall-widened#1
Botulism grows in a oxygen free atmosphere it is not really low salt however small amounts of sodium Nitrate are used in processed food to stop botulism from forming.
https://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/food-poisoning/news/20070723/botulism-risk-recall-widened#1
It is quite possible it formed right where it was in the crock pot like i said it tasted bad i only swallowed a very small amount.
Nothing showed for that area in a recent search it was several years ago that it happened.

mold maker
02-05-2018, 08:36 AM
There is a whole generation that has never tasted anything that didn't come frozen or in a can. Pity the next.

MaryB
02-05-2018, 10:35 PM
I cook 99.9% of my meals from scratch. If it comes from my freezer I grew it or in the case of meat a local farmer grew it. I do like a tuna sandwich now and then, and Campbell's tomato soup. Not only cheaper but far healthier.