PDA

View Full Version : Lee Precision is new sponsor?

Ranch Dog
08-26-2008, 03:46 PM
If so, cool!

carpetman
08-26-2008, 04:03 PM
If a sponsor can we still bash em or do we have to be like Paul Harvey and say they are the greatest ever when they really aint? I sure dont want to bash em but they aint the greatest.

verney
08-26-2008, 04:04 PM
Any discounts for CB members?

Baron von Trollwhack
08-26-2008, 04:16 PM
Perhaps there can be a bit of mutual advantage, as in, for example ,their great customer service, and our awesome casting excellence (mine is not awesome, just purty good).

They might adopt us and send all customer return molds to us as a charitable ubertaking. BvT

jameslovesjammie
08-26-2008, 04:25 PM
do we have to be like Paul Harvey and say they are the greatest ever when they really aint?

Like the Bose radio. You can get a much better sounding stereo for MUCH less money. When I sold electronics, we used to always say, "No highs? No lows? Must be Bose!"

Actually, I am kinda excited that Lee is sponsoring us. Over the last 3 years, I've gotten alot more red on my reloding bench. In the past, I would have NEVER have purchased their "junk". In the next year, I plan on getting another press, and it's probably going to be red.

As a side note, Select Comfort does make a good bed, but we owned one WAY before Paul Harvey did.

Rick N Bama
08-26-2008, 04:39 PM
I certainly hope that Mr. Lee will tune in from time to time with his comments, etc

Rick

tanstafl10
08-26-2008, 04:41 PM
Welcome Aboard LEE Precision!!!

Once I ordered a custom set of collet neck size only dies for the 22 K Hornet from Lee Precision. I sent them the $50 charge stipulated figuring it was not such a bad deal.

When I received the dies there were two checks inside totaling $12.00. The note apologized for the 2 checks saying it was a paper work thing limiting the amount of refund a check could be used for. The note continued stating that the K Hornet dies were a stock item and the only piece that needed to be custom made was the collet sizer. Therefore the price was not the full $50. Thanks for your business it ended.

Now, how would I have known any different if they had just kept the $12?? I admire honesty above all else and so I have purchased nothing but Lee Precision dies since.

I do own other manufacturers products, but dies will be Lee Precision just because of the warm feeling I get when I think about it.

Love or hate depends on your experiences, but there is room for honesty everywhere.

Welcome aboard Lee Precision.

docone31
08-26-2008, 04:56 PM
I use only Lee precision products. I have tried Lyman, I knew David, and their depriming pins snapped like candy. I called to find out why and they offered to sell them to me for more than Midway.
I never went back.
I try to deal with Pat at Lee Precision. I have had great responses from him, and Lee in general.
I am glad they are on board. It will help them in product quality control, feedback issues, and what-abouts. Pat wrote me and told me Lee is not interested in Paper Patching. I bet that modifies.
I have always liked Lee Products, and I am glad they are on board. I bet they do not tell us what to do either.

handyrandyrc
08-26-2008, 05:16 PM
I'm an avid Lee user. Nearly every piece of equipment I use for reloading and casting comes from the fine folks at Lee. I admit, my Anniversary press snapped a pair of toggle links, however, they were replaced at no charge. I have since upgraded to a Classic Turret press and have no issues. The thing is a tank.

All of my dies are made by Lee Precision, and I much prefer Lee aluminum moulds to the cast/steel ones I've used.

Old Ironsights
08-26-2008, 05:18 PM
Everything I have is Lee... except for one 4D die set for a caliber Lee doesn't service.

copdills
08-26-2008, 06:50 PM
Welcome Lee Precision Inc.:castmine:

wiljen
08-26-2008, 07:00 PM
If a sponsor can we still bash em or do we have to be like Paul Harvey and say they are the greatest ever when they really aint? I sure dont want to bash em but they aint the greatest.

Bash No, complain yes! No one expects you to sugar coat the truth, but to me the term bashing implies going a bit over the top in your statements. Keep it factual for good or bad and all is fine.

EDK
08-26-2008, 07:13 PM
If they are a sponsor, they recognize the value of "our happy home" here and are members of "our dysfunctional family."

With a little urging and our honest input, the quality of their products will probably improve. Everyone talks about the quality of the six cavity moulds over the two cavity models. I'm old enough to still think in terms of iron moulds, but the LEE group buy moulds I have used have been pretty good....and the price is right...and the production rates are excellent. They'll have to work a little to show me something I like better than my STAR lubri-sizer or my DILLON 550B press. BUT if they can, I'll reach for my wallet....like most people here.

Welcome home, LEE PRECISION

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

docone31
08-26-2008, 07:20 PM
On Bashing.
I have a shop. When I get feedback, either positive, or negative, it sits in my craw. I think about it. I try to apply, understand, you cannot please everyone.
With bashing, I get mad first, then discount what is being said. It means much less than constructive if possible, criticism.
Now that we have Lee on board, I am willing to bet they peek in from time to time. This would be the time to really come up with R&D that works so they can design it themselves as an original idea.
Lee cannot tailor itself to specialized segments of what we do, they have bills to meet also.
I am going to bet, we get some of the people who count at Lee to pipe in from time to time.
We can make one-offs all day long. They have to tailor their products to manufacturing, sales, and durability. It just ain't that easy.
Perhaps we can make it so.
Who knows.
I will just enjoy saying hi to them here from time to time. I have used their stuff for almost four decades.

Maven
08-26-2008, 07:23 PM
Hmm, let me think? Lee Precision, Inc. has introduced a number of innovative products thereby enabling untold numbers of people to begin reloading and/or casting. It would be easier to ask who hasn't tried the Lee Loaders (turns out very accurate ammo.); tangential sprue cut-off round ball molds (excellent and very accurate); various furnaces; collet dies (BR quality, but not at BR prices); case trimmers; priming tools, etc. In short, many more bullseyes than flyers with Lee Precision. And yes, I own other brands of equipment too.

Bigjohn
08-26-2008, 07:45 PM
I've been happy with the products of theirs which I own and use.

However; I have found their unbreakable depriming pins, aren't and their drip'o'matic bottom pour lead pots to be the only issues I have. Both are easily fixed.

Welcome abroad, LEE Precision.

John

timkelley
08-26-2008, 08:37 PM
I discovered Lee products about 1982, pretty much all I've bought since then.

Willbird
08-26-2008, 08:57 PM
Hmm, let me think? Lee Precision, Inc. has introduced a number of innovative products thereby enabling untold numbers of people to begin reloading and/or casting. It would be easier to ask who hasn't tried the Lee Loaders (turns out very accurate ammo.); tangential sprue cut-off round ball molds (excellent and very accurate); various furnaces; collet dies (BR quality, but not at BR prices); case trimmers; priming tools, etc. In short, many more bullseyes than flyers with Lee Precision. And yes, I own other brands of equipment too.

I'm willing to bet Lee did not invent the tangental sprue bullet mold, I bet some smart guy made one 200 years ago :-).

Some Lee stuff is OK, some of it is pure crap in my opinion. The owner of the company sure does not suffer from poor self esteem :-).

Not many if any BR shooters use Lee collet dies, neat idea, but not BR quality.

Bill

WickedGoodOutdoors
08-26-2008, 09:09 PM
A Sponsorship of any kind from any company that supports or Rights to Keep and Bear Arms is a Good thing.

I still have my very first Lee Loader in .410 that I bought when I was a kid and unable to afford shells for the $30 shotgun that I bought.

It has seen its day but I still hang on to it, Maybe Ill pass it down to my kids with some great memories. It was kinda cool being able to make just the right load for ducks, squirrels, pheasents ect..

Funny as I was working part time at a Big Sporting Outfitter that just opened here in Maine and I was thinking of buying a new reloader. Even tho I got an employee discount I still could not justify the expence. Buy the time you add up the press and the scale and the dies and powder & primers & brass,,,,, Oh Well. Maybe in another life..

Capt Walt

HeavyMetal
08-26-2008, 09:20 PM
Welcome aboard Lee Precision!

I see this as a two way learning experience! As such it will be good for us all not just a few.

As to BR quality? Didn't I see an add for a Lee collet die with some big name BR guy claiming it's use? Seems he'd set some long range record with the Lee dies.

It might not still stand but it was set and that's BR quality to me!

Heavy lead
08-26-2008, 09:32 PM
I am a Lee fan. No everything they make is not perfect, but neither are other brands. The new Classic Cast presses are awesome. Everyone complains about the old Challengers, but mine still works and never broke, and I resized monsters and a lot of them on it. The turret presses are the best thing for a reloader to speed up pistol cartridge reloading with and still maintain a high level of control. I own lots of brands, but if I could only buy one it would be Lee. I still prefer my iron bullet moulds from RCBS and Lyman, and one favorite NEI aluminum I have, but maybe I'll get in a group buy and that'll change.
Welcome Lee!

crowbeaner
08-26-2008, 09:38 PM
I have some Lee products and they seem to work OK, but I sent an email awhile back asking if they could make their 20 lb. production pot into a shotmaker. They sent me back a snotty email saying they don't want to modify their products and don't recommend that they be modified. HMMM. Seems to me they should want to SELL STUFF and it shouldn't be THAT hard to make up a design that would work. It would be a lot cheaper than the shotmakers already on the market. Sponsor that.

Down South
08-26-2008, 09:48 PM
I'm glad the Lee has become a sponsor. I do own some Lee products. The Lee products that I have work very well. I have several sets of their dies, sizers and one of their pro powder measures. Most of my major equipment is Dillon, RCBS, Lyman, Redding and so on.

454PB
08-26-2008, 09:52 PM
Whether you like Lee equipment or not, you have to admit they have introduced more people to casting and reloading than any other company. My first handloading tool was a Lee loader, and I've remained a loyal customer ever since.

hedgehorn
08-26-2008, 11:02 PM
I own allot of RCBS stuff and I have a Dillon 550 as well. I use allot of Lee dies in the 550 and I have a Classic Turret that I love! I think all of the Lee products are a great value. I think some folks mistake inexpensive for a poor value. I too would bet that Lee Precision has helped more new hand loaders cut their teeth than any other :drinks:

mooman76
08-26-2008, 11:14 PM
If it wasn't for Lee products I never would have gotten into reloading or casting because I couldn't afford the set up of the other brands. They don't make the best but they certainly make good products. I don't see how they can sell some of their stuff as cheap as they do and still keep enough profit line to keep the company going. I know their stuff isn't perfect and I can't understand why they don't make some improvements to seemingly easy fix items but they are coming out with some real good stuff and they have been expanding their products.

longbow
08-26-2008, 11:22 PM
I bought my first Lee Loader for 12 ga. shotgun about 40 years ago, then one for .45-70, then 9mm, then .30-30. I was a teenager with little money so if I wanted to shoot I had to reload, and I had to do that cheap. I did a lot of reloading with the simple, inexpensive and indestructible Lee Loaders. The Lee Loaders got me going and I have since bought many other Lee products.

I still have several Lee Loaders but also have a press, a Lee press (it is about 20 years old) and mostly Lee dies.

I guess I am a satisfied customer.

Longbow

08-26-2008, 11:28 PM
So, ......... what's better? Ford or Chevy? Obviously there is no absolute answer. You like what you like and if it works for you, go for it. I like Lee, have tons of Lee stuff, and yes, have had some problems here and there. I have C&H, Lyman, Dillon, RCBS, & others, and have had some problems with them, too. Many of my "problems" have been operator induced, but still I manage to make them all work. I'm very glad to have Lee as a sponsor to this site. Look forward to the information exchange.

Echo
08-26-2008, 11:54 PM
+1 - And I certainly hope Dick Lee will occasionally grace us with his presence.

MakeMineA10mm
08-27-2008, 01:29 PM
Lee has made their way into the reloading market by being the least expensive product available. That's OK, because some people get into reloading to save money. It was probably this angle that made their marketing/sales strategy a wise one.

However, the kind of guys that are into our hobby are usually past the "save-money" angle and are in this as a hobby. Casting boolits and reloading are getting to be more of the point for me, and shooting is just a way to get the cases empty so I can do my real hobby over again.... [smilie=1:

That said, what I look for is good design and innovation or making a product that is just right. I have blue, green, orange, black and red on my reloading bench. I'll buy whoever makes the right design. Often, that is Lee. I have several pieces of Lee equipment. Not because they were cheap, but because they had the best design.

I learned on and used a Rock Chucker for years, but after I saw the decapping catch-tube through the ram, the adjustable angle and left/right handedness of the handle, and the solidness of construction, I bought a Lee Classic Cast press to replace the Rock Chucker.

When it comes to this website and their 6-cav. moulds, the price + custom design + production level vs. wait to get them and occasional issues with quality (whether it be tolerances, the fact they are aluminum, or finishing of the cavities, all of which I've heard talked about here), I still think they're a heck of a deal. Lee is a good fit for this site.

looseprojectile
08-27-2008, 01:52 PM
I do hope that Richard Lee himself checks in here occaisonally.

With a somewhat basic education in marketing and business management, In my humble opinion, I feel that Lee could not have found a better place to bang his buck.

Market research is a lot better/easier/more profitable, if you can access the people that actually use your products.

I have found myself using more Lee products such as bullet moulds and the auto prime tool in the last few years. Good stuff.

Life is good

OLPDon
08-27-2008, 01:56 PM
Lee Precision inc.:
Welcome and thank you for your sponcership. It is good to know you think enough about Cast Boolits and its members to help us with much needed funds.

I must state that before I was a Cast Boolit member I stayed away from Lee Products, however the knowledge on this board is vast and well trusted by its fellow members I now have Moulds and Lee Die's in service. The best advertisment is by word of mouth or in my case "In The Words of Cast Boolits" I'm sure you will find, as well as its members is something good for all.

If it were not for Cast Boolits I would have not likely Have Lee Products in my Reloading Room.

Thank You Again & Welcome.

Don

VTDW
08-27-2008, 02:01 PM
Another welcome to Lee Precision. Thanks for supporting our sport as well as looking out for the little guy. :drinks:

Dave

Linstrum
08-27-2008, 03:55 PM
In November of 1984 I got my Lee 2001 Challenger press kit. That is when I received my Springfield M1A and I needed the press to satisfy the rifle's voratious appetite for ammo.

My 24-year-old Challenger press is still doing great and I recently bought the Lee Classic Cast because I got into shooting .50 BMG. The Classic press is fantastic!

Lee is responsible for getting more folks onto to the ground floor of the shooting sports than anyone else in the last 25 years, maybe longer. Before them it was probably Lyman, but they priced themselves out of the prime spot.

rl404

Ben
08-27-2008, 04:26 PM
It has become the " cool thing " to bash Lee. Not me, even if you're buying RCBS, Redding, etc., and never plan to own any Lee products, ask yourself the question..." If Lee wasn't in the game, what would I be paying for these dies ? "

Ben

remy3424
08-27-2008, 04:38 PM
Wow, everyone has an opinion here and most are close to the same!!! Unheard of!!!! Value pretty much sums up the Lee line. I have a Lee pot and some moulds. I have replaced most of my RCBS neck sizers with the Lee Collet sizers and usually use the seater also, after replacing the factory lock nut. I could spend $100 for a RCBS or Redding competion sizer, but for me, the Lee dies kick out accurate rifle ammo. If money wasn't an issuse, sure I'd have Redding comp bushing sizers and comp seaters, but I don't think I will every be willing to go there. Welcome Lee from a newbie!!!

Springfield
08-27-2008, 04:50 PM
Well, I've got about 20 different LEE 6 cavity moulds, so I support them as well. Have 6 more on the way. Have a couple Dillon presses and a single stage RCBS, and dies from everybody. I just like to use what works. It is amazing how well some of their stuff works even though they use so much plastic. Must be good engineering, sure isn't 'cause they make it beefy. Kinda like airplanes in that respect.

Castoff
08-27-2008, 05:07 PM
I am a long standing user of Lee products--and others , too--- and have always found Lee products to be of high quality and presented at a fair and affordable price.
Ben is certainly correct when he points out that without Lee the others would have raised the priced beyond a lot of folks reach.

Glad to have Lee Precision as a sponsor.
Let'a all remember that and also take note of those who have failed to do so.

MANY THANKS, LEE.----PLEASE, KEEP UP YOUR FINE WORK.
IT IS NOTED AND APPRECIATED!

jonk
08-27-2008, 05:55 PM
I far prefer Lee dies to any other. The decapper rods are HARD and strong. How strong- well let me relate....

I've had about 3 stuck cases. 2 on lee dies, 1 on RCBS.

Lee dies- to clear the stuck case I removed the collet holding the decapper, then, figuring I'd ruin it, whaled on the expander/decapper rod with a sledge hammer. 10, 12 hits later it popped the case out.

The decapper was not bent or damaged.

I tried the same with an RCBS. One tiny tap and the expander rod with all its intricate threads folded like an accordion. I subsequently used a punch to drive out the case. They DID replace it free, no question, but I know which was better in my book.

Swagerman
08-27-2008, 06:00 PM
Welcome aboard Lee products, long my your banner fly here. (OK, a typo on the word MAY) fingers don't always wrk lik thy us too.

Jim :drinks:

Bret4207
08-27-2008, 06:10 PM
I've had very good service from my Lee Products. Are there things I would change, yes. Are there new products I'd like to see, yes. Will I continue to praise Lee's products. YOU BET!!!

Welcome to the Lee gang and THANK YOU!

hotwheelz
08-27-2008, 06:19 PM
Its ALLWAYS GOOD to see a company supporting its clinents, Glad to see to see you on board LEE I love your Factory Crimp Dies :drinks::drinks:

Bill*
08-27-2008, 06:32 PM
To Me: LEE = VALUE

Junior1942
08-27-2008, 06:34 PM
What Swagerman said! (But with an "a" in "may.")

DLCTEX
08-27-2008, 08:12 PM
Good one Junior!

Pitmaster
08-27-2008, 08:44 PM
Welcome Lee Precision. I have and use Lee Precision products and will continue to do so. I like supporting as many 2nd Amendment companies as I can. Variety is the spice of life and guns.

Celebrate Diversity:drinks:

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c400/bdcbbq/Avatarmodel-diversitybk-2.jpg

dukenukum
08-27-2008, 08:50 PM
I have owned three challenger presses every one of them grew legs and walked off.
they are all still in service ( to many people think my reloading bench has a help yourself sign over it . ) I prefer lee dies and case trimmers have the small electric pot and two bottom pours several molds never any problems .
WELCOME ABOARD LEE

legend
08-27-2008, 08:57 PM
Welcome Lee!!
Thank You For Careing Enough To Help Out The Site!

PineTreeGreen
08-27-2008, 11:55 PM
I've got a lot of LEE stuff,some of it 20 yrs. old and it doesn't owe me one red cent
Thanks for your support :-D

Char-Gar
08-28-2008, 12:05 AM
It is good to see their banner. Lee is a major force in bullet casting and we share a common interest. They have done much good for the reloading community, but they don't walk on water.

35remington
08-28-2008, 12:35 AM
Acknowledged.

But I do like a lot of their stuff. Most of it has worked well for me.

jim4065
08-28-2008, 12:38 AM
A long way from perfect - but how many other mold makers are sponsors here?

Lee
08-28-2008, 12:54 AM
Golly Gosh Shucks Guys:oops:(blush)
With a name like Lee how can you possibly go wrong??:-D

P.S. Almost evry'thing I own is Red, and unless I abuse it, it works for me..........

PatMarlin
08-28-2008, 12:59 AM
Very, very cool.

bruce drake
08-28-2008, 02:41 AM
Whenever I purchase a new caliber or look for a new mold. I look for a LEE product first. I started with the LEE Handloader Press that could fit inside an ammocan to their simple C press (that I had to drill a hole in my bench for the primers to fall through into a babyjar I had screwed to the bottom). to my current Challenger Press. I had a Lyman Orange Press (The convertible bench/hand press) that last for about 6 months before it cracked at the neck. went back to the LEE product after that.

I like LEE so much that I bought their hat and I gladly wear it when I'm shooting Highpower Matches.

Bruce

PatMarlin
08-28-2008, 09:46 AM
Bruce while in Kirkuk ever run into a fellow soldier named Eddy Pace?

Jimlakeside
08-28-2008, 10:09 AM
I love my Lee pro 4-20 melting pot. I also just purchased another one of their molds. Welcome aboard Lee!!

9.3X62AL
08-28-2008, 10:09 AM
Another "Welcome Aboard" for Lee Precision.

I'm getting the Casting And Loading Habitat (Marie's name for the garage) arranged now, and counted the Lee mould boxes in the collection--18, with 4 more missing their boxes. Two design series of Lee impress me GREATLY--their truncated cone autopistol boolits, and their bore-rider rifle designs (e.g., the 8mm/175 grain critter).

My reloading ventures started with Lee Loaders in 12 gauge--30-06--223--and 38 Special. Lee set the hook.

Rick N Bama
08-28-2008, 04:09 PM
I've just looked at my stock & I have 13 sets of Lee dies & 17 Lee molds. I use their Auto Priming tools as well as several other items.

While counting my molds I found a 410-195SWC I don't think I've ever used! The pot is warming as we speak:drinks:

Rick

floodgate
08-28-2008, 08:24 PM
John Lee:

Welcome to our "home from home"! I've been casting, reloading and accumulating moulds and tools since the late 1950s, and - as the years go by - I see more and more "Lee Red" on my bench and shelves and in the drawers of my "man-cave".

As a heartfelt "THANK YOU" for your sponsorship, and in resonse to many enthusiastic reviews seen here and elsewhere, I am placing an order for your US-made, all-iron "Classic Cast" single-station press as a replacement for my beloved but elderly "R********er".

I hope you will monitor this site, and take what little criticism you see here in a constructive spirit, from a bunch of folks with thousands of years of accumulated experience.

Sincerely,

Doug Elliott (aka "floodgate"

bruce drake
08-29-2008, 01:08 AM
Pat,

If you could tell me his unit, I'll look him up and shoot a photo back to you. I've got 3500 troopers in the Brigade that I work with. Unfortunately the name isn't familier but I could try to meet him if he's a fellow caster.

45 days left here in Kirkuk and then its a month in Kuwait and then I'm finally home from this deployment.

Bruce

bruce drake
08-29-2008, 01:12 AM
Hey John LEE!

Thanks again for coming on board. I want to try to contact you regarding an improvement to your seating dies. I'm not talking about producing micrometer dies but you'll get some recognition for giving the regular joe a means of exactly setting their bullets.

PM me for the idea and perhaps we can talk. I'm not about trying to get a patent out of you :) Just want to see if I can score some one time free gear in return for the idea.

Bruce Drake
CPT, US Army
1BCT, 10th MTN
Kirkuk, Iraq

Down South
08-29-2008, 08:53 AM
My first handloading tool was a Lee loader
Thinking back so was mine. I bought a Lee loader for a 12 gauge shotgun close to 40 years ago. I still have a set of Lee powder scoops and a 12 gauge press from that time period. I don’t load for shotguns anymore but at one time I loaded all of my shotgun shells.

Jeffery8mm
08-29-2008, 03:30 PM
The value of lee got me into casting. The quality keeps me casting!!!! I had one problem with a new Lee 30 cal mold. Sent it back for the Lee team to look at, I got a new mold in the mail 8 days later!!! Good custome service. Not all of us can afford a dozen 100.00 molds. This is where Lee shines in my opinion!! My Lee pot does drip a bit though!!
Jeff