PDA

View Full Version : Help Reshaping and Reviving an Old Hat

mtnman31
01-16-2018, 10:01 PM
Off topic here; need some help with this hat.
I have an old German Alpine Hat that was my father's, purchased in the late 70's, early 80's when he was stationed in Germany. It's in need of some reshaping. The hat is misshapen and no longer stiff at all. I believe it is made of wool, but am not certain. The dimples are sunken (more so than they should be) and brim is misshaped. The hat is no longer stiff at all. I used to have a green children's version of the alpine hat. It was definitely made of felt and much cheaper in quality than my father's. This hat's texture is rougher than the felt hat and it is definitely a little thicker in construction. My wife thinks it is wool because it has a headband that is sewn in and the brim edge is sewn as well.

I've read so much conflicting advice on the internet that I am hesitant to get started and try anything. I've read that I can use steam and moisture to restore its shape. If it's wool, wouldn't that shrink it? As for stiffness, I saw advice for everything from purchase a commercial hat stiffener spray, to starch, to hairspray, and Teflon... :groner:

Any thoughts from this crowd? What's the best way to get it back to its shape and restore some of its stiffness?

Minerat
01-16-2018, 10:36 PM
I'd take it to a custom western hat maker and see what they think. I suspect there are a couple somewhere around your neck of the woods, or Nashville. They can probably re block and clean it.

WebMonkey
01-16-2018, 10:55 PM
+1 ^
i had my cavalry trooper's hat to pfi and the hat guy clean, shaped, and relined my very dirty, warped head cover.
20 years of abuse cleaned up in 20 minutes.

Baja_Traveler
01-16-2018, 11:13 PM
Google "custom hat maker" for your area - they will be able to clean it up and steam it back into shape.

I have me dads also from the 50's - and my own I got in Bavaria back in the 80's...

starmac
01-17-2018, 01:16 AM
Most good western wear stores cleaned and blocked hats, they used steam, not sure how a wool hat would do with that.

Who knows where a good western store anymore, they are getting scarce as hens teeth.

tomme boy
01-17-2018, 08:55 AM
Wax it. Use a hair drier or iron to heat the waxed hat to make it soak in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTZ8k55qwpk

Petrol & Powder
01-17-2018, 09:08 AM
German hats of that style are almost always made of wool. I agree with the advice to take it to a custom hat maker. They work with wool felt all the time.

waksupi
01-17-2018, 11:16 AM
I shape my hats, and if too soft, spray them with coats of spray starch.

Love Life
01-18-2018, 11:05 AM
I use satin clear poly for my felt hats. Keeps them stiff, keeps shape, and water proof. They are hard as a rock though, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZ Pete
01-18-2018, 12:19 PM
Wax it. Use a hair drier or iron to heat the waxed hat to make it soak in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTZ8k55qwpk

sounds like he said shelac, not wax

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Down South
01-18-2018, 07:53 PM
I reshape all of my hats when needed and I have a number of them. A steamer and a bit of patience is all you need. If you don't have a steamer a pot of boiling water will work. Hold the hat over the pot to soak up the steam. Work on one area at a time.
Steam it and shape it while it is hot, repeat as necessary until the desired shape is achieved. Once you have shaped the hat to your desire. sit in a place that will not touch the brim or crown until it dries.

Oh, on edit, I have beaver and wool hats. The wool hats are easier to reshape and no, they don't shrink.

Idaho Mule
01-20-2018, 11:14 PM
Go to jaxonbilthats.com in Salmon Idaho. Bill can fix the hat for you. JW

Hogtamer
01-20-2018, 11:40 PM
Good post, I gotta couple that need cleaning and blocking myself. Off topic, is an Idaho mule any less ornery than a Georgia mule? That's a good looker in the avatar!

Idaho Mule
01-26-2018, 11:58 PM
Mules ain't ornery, just their owners.:drinks::drinks:. JW