PDA

View Full Version : Anybody modified a lubrisizer?

mugsie
08-25-2008, 07:42 PM
So far I've added a 3/8" diameter bolt in lieu of the push up rod, which now allows me to at least have the bullet rise to the top of the sizing die and affords easy removal (why Lymann didn't do this I'll never know!).

I'm thinking of reaming out the threaded washer that we crank down to force out lube. I would ream it out so it slides freely up and down the threaded shaft. Then above it I'd put a hefty spring and above that a threaded washer of some sort. Now, by cranking down on the shaft, the spring compresses and applies constant pressure on the now freely moving plunger assembly which should squish lube out for many more bullets without having to crank it on virtually every round.

It's harder to explain than it would be to make. Has anyone ever done this before or made some other sort of constant pressure apparatus in order to ooze lube? (I know, by a star - I'm too cheap and besides, I have a Lymann so I gotta tinker!).

Anyone?

compass will
08-25-2008, 08:34 PM
I have seen different pictures of mods to feed the lube. I think one even had an air line going to the shop compressor.

454PB
08-25-2008, 10:12 PM
The spring loading you describe is similar to the Star luber system, except for the fact that the Star has a second high pressure pump. Not to discourage you, but I don't think a spring alone can supply enough pressure.

Wayne Smith
08-26-2008, 11:11 AM
The spring loading you describe is similar to the Star luber system, except for the fact that the Star has a second high pressure pump. Not to discourage you, but I don't think a spring alone can supply enough pressure.

Even if the spring could provide the pressure, how would you get it to compress?? I think you would need some way to compress the spring prior to tightening the washer.

FWIW - I'm a psychologist, not an engineer, as my son the aeronautical engineer reminds me.

garandsrus
08-26-2008, 11:18 AM
Mugsie,

Check this out by Cabintree (http://www.castingstuff.com/cabinetree_loading_products.htm), it's already been done and apparently works well.....

John

TAWILDCATT
01-04-2009, 07:54 PM
THANK YOU CABINTREE IT WAS:AND THE PRICE IS RIGHT:coffee:[smilie=1:

44mag1
01-04-2009, 08:37 PM
has anyone drilled the sizing die like is suggested in the lee reloading manual?

Three44s
01-04-2009, 08:53 PM
Thank you Grandsrus!!!

I definitely tagged that web sight for future drooling!!

Three 44s

mrbill2
01-04-2009, 09:12 PM
Saeco Lub and Sized (Redding) is made with just such a spring feed lub plunger. Have one for 30+ years. Great unit !
Mr. Bill

andrew375
01-05-2009, 11:12 AM
The two mods I make are to the the dies. I drill out the centre of the ejector pin ("I" part?) and cut a small slot across the bottom so that lube doesn't build up under the bullet bases. Also I make the pin just slightly shorter than the die that, way I can centre the bullet over the die cavity easily.