PDA

View Full Version : Seaco #5G 3 Cavity & Lyman 37583 2 Cav

Russ in WY
08-25-2008, 06:36 PM
The Seaco is in the factory box with handles , 5G is stamped on box & sprue cutter. The Lyman has a 3 Digit number on it also . Is that a serial # of mould. Both these were put up full of lead and I would really not like to open them just to see what the bullet is & the weight. Have looked Online & in some catalogs can't find any data on these two moulds. I haven't cast in over 30 yrs, would like to get back into in soon. Tks for any info that you mite be able to provide. Russ.

onceabull
08-25-2008, 09:00 PM
Russ: lyman's 37583 is a 145 Gr(nominal) mould,some have reported it as "designed for a 38/55 gallery load..My example doesn't drop them big enough for a lot of 38-55's but does fine in the various 375 win. That Saeco sounds like an early one probably shortly after their purchase of Carl Cramer's line,and had not changed his #'ing scheme yet.Castpics shows # 5,5A and 5B(under "Cramer moulds",all for the 45 pistol,but nothing further along in the alphabet .. fwiw, Onceabull

floodgate
08-25-2008, 11:37 PM
Russ:

The 3-digit number on the Lyman should appear on both halves of the mould - as stated here earlier in another connection, it is a "match number" to keep both halves together through processing and packing. Not really a "serial" number, since they would run through the numbering cycle multiple times in a busy week.

Fg

Russ in WY
08-26-2008, 12:30 AM
Tks to onceabull & floodgate for info. The box does have Saeco Cramer Bullet Mould printed on the end. I think it is a 185 gr SWC Target type Boolit that I 1st used when I got into NRA Bullseye comp. Guess I will open them both after all , as I plan on selling them both soon anyhow. I did finally find the Lyman 37583 in a Mould Reference Table in the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook as a 145 gr [lead] Flat nose. Russ.