PDA

View Full Version : Newbie LLA question

TXBRILL
08-25-2008, 05:09 PM
I don't cast but i have some 45-70 boolits that have been laying around for 10 years or so they were originally going to be shot with BP anyway over the years of sitting in Houston's 100 degree summers the lube seems to have dissapeared. Since I have no lube equipment I bought some LLA. I read a few threads and saw that lots of you guys thin it a little with thinner.

I did that and put 2 thin coats on. the boolits are nicely covered but the lube grooves are not full. Is this the way its supposed to look or do I keep coating until full like regular lube

Thanks
allen

dromia
08-25-2008, 05:16 PM
Thin is good, LA doesn't need to fill the lube groove like the stick lube.

Its not the best stuff to use with BP however as it can build up into a hard ring of fouling in front of the chamber, it also has velocity limitations.

TXBRILL
08-25-2008, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the quick answer I was not planning to use BP. Either Pyrodex or a reduced charge of Unique

Allen

Bass Ackward
08-26-2008, 06:27 AM
Just realize that the amount of any kind of lube that is required after a bore has been saturated with a few rounds is a lot less than what is required if you are starting out from a dry bore. This is key to any lube success.

And you can loosely patch LLA into your bore as a prep and let it dry using two or three low velocity ones to get started. (Bore repair in a bottle)

44man
08-26-2008, 08:12 AM
Do not use it with Pyrocrap! Stick with Unique only. Pyrodex has nasty fouling as it is and is harder to clean up then BP. It doesn't take kindly to mineral lubes.

TXBRILL
08-26-2008, 09:41 AM
That makes perfect sense on the amount of lube necessary after barrel is greased so to speak, I am a little concerned about using pyrodex and LLA. I am not doubting what 44man says about it but others have said it is ok, is there a trick to using it with pyrodex ?

Thanks for the info

allen

Bass Ackward
08-26-2008, 04:57 PM
That makes perfect sense on the amount of lube necessary after barrel is greased so to speak, I am a little concerned about using pyrodex and LLA. I am not doubting what 44man says about it but others have said it is ok, is there a trick to using it with pyrodex ?

Thanks for the info

allen

Anytime that you combine petroleum (LLA) and carbon, you get tar. While we never say never or always, you can give it a try. Just understand you are going against what probably is fair to refer to as "the odds" to obtain success. But stranger things have happened.

TXBRILL
08-27-2008, 02:45 PM
Bass Ackward:

I am not one to try to reinvent the wheel. I take your word for it. So Pyrodex should be treated like BP ? as far as lube.

rusty marlin
08-27-2008, 02:50 PM
Yes, stay away from petroleum lubes with BP. I've used 60%beeswax and 40% olive oil for a couple of years and it works fine in the humid conditions here.
If you are only going to do a few, TC bore butter would work fine, it just expensive is all.