PDA

View Full Version : Lead as Hazmat

Randall
08-25-2008, 02:34 PM
I live about 50 miles downstream from one of the largest epa cleanup sites for heavy metals,Picher OK. All the local towns and also Tulsa get some of their water from the runoff that drains into the lakes. But nobody outside of Picher has any elevated lead levels from the water, and the citizens of Picher probably get theirs from breathing the dust off the chat piles. My local water dept.s quarterly reports show reports of lead that is said to be normal and is from natural sources.Some local tire shops won't sell their used wheel weights to help keep lead out of the water as sinkers. When I tell them about the water system I usually get blank stares and mumbling about well it's company policy and so forth.
Any way thats my two cents worth.

DtheD
08-25-2008, 03:21 PM
Randall, tell them you will be recycling it. Just don't say it will be an ounce at a time.

JeffinNZ
08-25-2008, 06:24 PM
Lead is most hazardous when you find yourself looking down the wrong end of a barrel isn't it? [smilie=1::mrgreen:

Bigjohn
08-25-2008, 07:17 PM
Lead is most hazardous when you find yourself looking down the wrong end of a barrel isn't it? [smilie=1::mrgreen:

Trust a Kiwi to come out and state the bleedin' obvious. :mrgreen:

BUT, I think we should try and keep that information a secret; someone might complain that we're planning to poison the nefarious elements within our societies. :twisted:

John.

.45Cole
08-26-2008, 03:46 PM
JeffinNZ- I was thinking "interesting cartridges maybe i'll click to get a larger pic," interesting muzzlel loading targets you guys have over there. is it like we talk of shooting prarie dogs (i promise I'm not with PETA), hard to get the ghost (like with a .22lr) ?

Old Ironsights
08-26-2008, 05:35 PM
As I have a certificate of training in "Hazardous Waste Disposal" (OEW/CWM) I "put out a shingle" as a "Certified" Hazardous Waste Recovery/Recycling Service specializing in Lead and Lead Alloys.

Hey, ya gotta do whatever works to get the goods... ;)

KYCaster
08-26-2008, 09:29 PM
As I have a certificate of training in "Hazardous Waste Disposal" (OEW/CWM) I "put out a shingle" as a "Certified" Hazardous Waste Recovery/Recycling Service specializing in Lead and Lead Alloys.

Hey, ya gotta do whatever works to get the goods... ;)

OIS, I've been considering the same thing. Could you tell me where to look for info about getting certified?

It might come in handy.

Jerry

Old Ironsights
08-26-2008, 09:51 PM
OIS, I've been considering the same thing. Could you tell me where to look for info about getting certified?

It might come in handy.

Jerry

It was a Job thing "back in the day"... I am Ex Army, Ex Artillery, and Ex EOD(attached Arty), and was working for a Civil Engineering/Enviornmental Consulting firm up in Alaska. There were occasions where we could run into anything from old UXO to WWII era Chem weapons to plain-old Oil Patch Sludge.

My particular baliwick was IDing/dealing with UXO and CWM. [smilie=1:

I would guess that if you are near a major Metroplex you could probably find a Continuing Education Seminar once or twice a year that you could get into for a fee (Google Civil Engineering Seminars or some such). Once you got the Certificate of Training, you can use it forever without re-training/re-paying. You were, after all "trained" and "certified". :twisted: