PDA

View Full Version : Cast boolits with new mould passes test

Gundogblue
01-12-2018, 06:13 PM
I recently bought an NOE mould, .433 size bushing, and .44 push rod. I loaded up 100, rnds but I couldn’t wait for nice weather so I grabbed the 1894 Marlin 10 rnds and headed out the door to the edge of my property where the steel plates are. I’m shooting light .44 special loads, 4.4 grn s of Trail Boss, and my mould drops a 234 grn boolit, I doubt those boolits are coming out of the barrel over 900 FPS. The rifle has zero recoil, and with the ear plugs in it sounds like a .22. The 1894 Marlin functioned like butter, and those slow boolits hit the plates with authority, I was surprised at how hard they hit that plate. But the big test came when I field stripped her, and cleaned her, no leading, zero zip, now that really made my day, I can’t speak for accuracy yet as I just shot a few steel plates, and it was pretty cold, but every shot @ 50 yards hit those plates smack dab in the middle. When the weather warms up I’ll go to our range and really ring her out, but for now I’m a pretty happy guy😊

tazman
01-12-2018, 08:23 PM
I love it when a plan comes together. --Blatantly stolen from A-Team.

Shuz
01-13-2018, 11:48 AM
My experience with Trail Boss in both .44 mag revolvers and rifles is that it is a great powder for reduced power loads. I load 7g of Trail Boss behind an MP-432-640HP sans check, and the accuracy is great, the recoil is non-existent, velocity is 779fps from a 4" 329PD, and there is absolutely no leading!

mdi
01-13-2018, 01:04 PM
Ain't it grand when a project works! I too have used the 7.0 gr. load of Trail Boss under a 265 gr Ranch Dog design bullet. Good, accurate, soft shooter in my Puma...